Neat, Add-On, d20 Rules???

Water Bob

Adventurer
I've been running across a lot of rules lately that seem like they would be good additions to the Core d20 3.5 rule set.

For example, Active Defense, mentioned as an optional rule in the 3.5 DMG. I think that's a fanstastic rule that livens up combat. Basically, instead of rolling an attack against a static AC number, the defender rolls a d20 for defense, adding modifiers.

Look at the AC and subtract 10 (the average of a d20 throw), using the remainder as a modifier to the defense throw.

If a character has AC 14, then his defense roll is d20 +4.

An AC 17 means the defense roll is d20 +7.

This doesn't change the overall chance to hit a target, on average, but adds a lot of variance during a combat.

My group loves that rule.

Another rule that intrigues me (but I haven't implemented in my game, yet) is one I saw in the d20 supplement, Greenland Saga - The Lost Norse Colony.

This is a realism rule for female characters. The book suggests that the females take a -3 to STR (minimum STR score of 3) but raise their CON by +1 and raise their DEX by +1.

If I used this rule, I'd probably add in one more modifier and give the player a choice of +1 INT, +1 CHR, or +1 WIS (choose only one) in addition to the mods suggested in the Greenland book.

The fairer sex is typically weaker than men, but since this is a game, I think the character should be compensated in other areas. -3 STR is balanced by a +1 DEX, +1 CON, and a choice of either +1 INT/CHR/WIS.

In the Torn Asunder Critical Hits, there's a variant First Aid rule presented. Remember, the First Aid check is a DC 15 throw that, if successful, will stabilize a dying character. The variant rule allows the healer to heal the hurt character by 1d2 HP if the First Aid check results in 20+. If the throw is 25+, then 1d3 HP are restored on the victim. And, if the First Aid throw is 30+, then 1d6 HP are restored.

That sounds like an excellent idea to me.

Likewise, I had a House Rule idea that extends the Disabled condition (could be used to extend the Staggered rule, too). It's inspired by the notes that Gary Gygax writes in the 1E AD&D DMG where he says, optionally, a character could fall unconscious as late as -3 HP.

Thus, my suggestion is that a character be allowed a Fort save if he is dropped to -1, -2, or -3 HP. If dropped to -1 HP, the check is DC 5. If dropped to -2, the check is at a DC 10. If dropped to -3 HP, the check is DC 15.

Optionally, you could just keep going (DC 20 at -4 HP, DC 25 at -5 HP, and so on. Or, you could start the check higher: DC 15 @ -1 HP, DC 20 @ -2 HP, DC 25 @ -3 HP, and so on.

I just wanted to make sure that this optional House Rule didn't steal the thunder from the Diehard Feat.

What about you? What are some of the neat alternate rules you've seen in other d20 supplements? (The ones you like.)

Aus_Snow

First Post
Unearthed Arcana (3e) might be to your liking. Much of its content is available right here, for free.

Similarly, Arcana Unearthed - or Arcana Evolved (the updated version) - has some good stuff, though it is an antire system rewrite, so a bit of a different animal. Seems you're not opposed to that though, given your own choices, in other posts. ;)

Legends of Sorcery offers a great skill-based alternative to "pseudo-Vancian magic" (a la D&D), along with classes to match, all the way from low magic to medium to high (the last being, basically, some of your PHB regulars), according to the magic level desired for a given campaign. Good stuff.

In a similar vein, Miracles & Wonders provides a set of rules to supplant the default divine magic setup. It goes a long way toward making said "magic" more, well, divine. No longer is it just another spell list, blah.

Hot Pursuit, and Hot Pursuit - On Foot, cover chases quite well.

Dynasties & Demagogues, Crime & Punishment, and Love & War, all cover different ground, naturally, but in fact work together rather well anyway. Politics, law, chivalry and such... all things that can add to the richness of a campaign setting.

Nature's Wrath is good for poisons, toxins and diseases, though for poisons and toxins in particular, yoo really can't go past Toxicant.

A Magical Medieval Society: Western Europe, natch. Perhaps also, A Magical Society: Silk Road.

Book of Broken Dreams deals with madness and so on. Very good.

Dreamscapes, if you want a whole dreams-based "reality" to run with.

And if you're talking free/fan stuff... oh so many more. I'd have to start all over! :D

Last edited:

Duke Arioch

First Post
I've been running across a lot of rules lately that seem like they would be good additions to the Core d20 3.5 rule set.

For example, Active Defense, mentioned as an optional rule in the 3.5 DMG. I think that's a fanstastic rule that livens up combat. Basically, instead of rolling an attack against a static AC number, the defender rolls a d20 for defense, adding modifiers.

Look at the AC and subtract 10 (the average of a d20 throw), using the remainder as a modifier to the defense throw.

If a character has AC 14, then his defense roll is d20 +4.

An AC 17 means the defense roll is d20 +7.

This doesn't change the overall chance to hit a target, on average, but adds a lot of variance during a combat.

My group loves that rule.

Another rule that intrigues me (but I haven't implemented in my game, yet) is one I saw in the d20 supplement, Greenland Saga - The Lost Norse Colony.

This is a realism rule for female characters. The book suggests that the females take a -3 to STR (minimum STR score of 3) but raise their CON by +1 and raise their DEX by +1.

If I used this rule, I'd probably add in one more modifier and give the player a choice of +1 INT, +1 CHR, or +1 WIS (choose only one) in addition to the mods suggested in the Greenland book.

The fairer sex is typically weaker than men, but since this is a game, I think the character should be compensated in other areas. -3 STR is balanced by a +1 DEX, +1 CON, and a choice of either +1 INT/CHR/WIS.

In the Torn Asunder Critical Hits, there's a variant First Aid rule presented. Remember, the First Aid check is a DC 15 throw that, if successful, will stabilize a dying character. The variant rule allows the healer to heal the hurt character by 1d2 HP if the First Aid check results in 20+. If the throw is 25+, then 1d3 HP are restored on the victim. And, if the First Aid throw is 30+, then 1d6 HP are restored.

Likewise, I had a House Rule idea that extends the Disabled condition (could be used to extend the Staggered rule, too). It's inspired by the notes that Gary Gygax writes in the 1E AD&D DMG where he says, optionally, a character could fall unconscious as late as -3 HP.

Thus, my suggestion is that a character be allowed a Fort save if he is dropped to -1, -2, or -3 HP. If dropped to -1 HP, the check is DC 5. If dropped to -2, the check is at a DC 10. If dropped to -3 HP, the check is DC 15.

Optionally, you could just keep going (DC 20 at -4 HP, DC 25 at -5 HP, and so on. Or, you could start the check higher: DC 15 @ -1 HP, DC 20 @ -2 HP, DC 25 @ -3 HP, and so on.

I just wanted to make sure that this optional House Rule didn't steal the thunder from the Diehard Feat.

What about you? What are some of the neat alternate rules you've seen in other d20 supplements? (The ones you like.)

Active defense sounds okay in all but one thing - more rolls. The AC as is would be considered take10 on that rule. I tried it myself in a few of my games with different groups. Some of them loved it, some of them thought it a new nuisance. So, perhaps it would be a good idea to give your group an option and be sure you explained all the drawbacks and advantages of both AC styles.

Now the second thing is really not needed. Player characters are heroes, and as such extraordinary persons compared to ordinary NPCs. You might want to compare them to top notch athletes of IRL. Would you consider yourself stronger than female weight-lifter? Would you make her more charismatic or intelligent than any male counterpart, just for being female?

The crit thing is okay. But the last thing really does stand on Diehard turf. Not to mention how easy it is to roll over the DCs mentioned even on lower levels of play.

Greg K

Legend
Off the top of my head and not listing new classes:

3.0 DMG
Variant: Training
Variant Ability Score Loss using penalties to rolls
Variant Spell Lists
Variant First Level Multiclassing
Variant Slow Leveling​

Unearthed Arcana
Variant Races: Environmental Races
Variant Classes
Barbarian Hunter
Bardic Sage
Divine Bard
Savage Bard
Cloistered Cleric
Urban Ranger
Martial Rogue
Wilderness Rogue
Battle Sorcerer​
Variant Class Abilitiels
Favored Enemy Variant: Favored Terrain
Turn Undead Variant: Planar Banishment​
Spontaneous Divine Casting
Weapon Groups
Variant Wizard Special Abilities
Death and Dying
Extended Skill Checks

Complete Champion
Spellless Paladin variant
Spellless Ranger variant​

Wilderness/Urban Skill Swaps: Cityscape web enhancement 1

Third Party
Fewer Absolutes: Sean K Reynold's website
Alternate Poison Rules: Poisoncraft
Alternate Magic System: Elements of Magic: Revised
Alternate Psychic Power System: Psychic's Handbook
Alternate Magic Item Creation: Artificer's Handbook
Alternate Grappling, unarmed, and fighting Rules: Advanced Rules for Beginners (EN Publishing) combines Grappling for Beginners, Advanced Grappling for Beginners: How to Master your Chi, Fighting with Flair, and revised drinking rules
Alternate Combat: Ken Hood's Grim and Gritty Combat System
Alternate Unarmed Fighting: Ken Hood's Skill-n-Feat Martial Arts
Chase Rules: Hot Pursuit and Hot Pursuit: On Foot
Combat Maneuvers: Book of Iron Might
Fighting Styles for first level fighters: Book of Iron Might​

For example, Active Defense, [...]My group loves that rule.

Too much rolling for my tastes, especially given my large group size and fondness for lots and lots of badguys in combats.

This is a realism rule for female characters.

This rule sucks. It sucks so, so, so, so, so hard. Do not use this rule. It is horribly unbalanced by itself and shows a horrible understanding of the d20 ruleset.

-3 STR is balanced by a +1 DEX, +1 CON, and a choice of either +1 INT/CHR/WIS.

It is not so balanced.

I wish we were allowed to use bad words on this forum so that I could express to you exactly how bad this rule is.

In the Torn Asunder Critical Hits, [...]

The hit points restored don't really seem like they'd be enough to matter, but on the other hand, they're unlikely to be enough to matter, so who cares? Go for it.

Generally speaking, the Diehard feat is terrible; most DMs do not have badguys continue to attack unconscious PCs, instead having them (wisely) continue to attack people who are threats.

What the Diehard feat - and this rule - does is leave you conscious and a threat on the battlefield while at the same time nigh-guaranteeing that any hit will kill you for-real. +1 round of actions (even then, only sometimes!) is not worth "Guaranteed Dead."

Hero points / action points as stolen from Eberron and expanded in multiple sources.

Retraining rules of various stripes.

Star Wars Saga Edition / 4th Ed second wind and healing surges rules.

Last edited:

In general I'm against "realism" rules for different genders, especially as far as ability scores go. Based upon my admittedly Associate Degree level knowledge of anatomy, women and men are pretty damn close to equal in all aspects. They're so close that not even a + or - 1 to any abilities would be realistic.

Others certainly have the right to use a variation in their games, but I'd personally never use a gender difference of that level in any campaign, nor would I play in one that did.

The other variations can be pretty fun. My current campaign doesn't use any as far as I know, but if a group wants to make defensive die rolls then the extra luck involved can certainly make things more interesting.

Water Bob

Adventurer
In general I'm against "realism" rules for different genders, especially as far as ability scores go. Based upon my admittedly Associate Degree level knowledge of anatomy, women and men are pretty damn close to equal in all aspects. They're so close that not even a + or - 1 to any abilities would be realistic.

I don't believe that. Not at all.

And, especially not in a medieval-esque setting.

I don't believe that. Not at all.

And, especially not in a medieval-esque setting.

You're certainly entitled to your beliefs, but what exactly are you basing them on? If actual physiology was the only basis, then going through various medical books will most definitely show that the true differences between genders is negligible.

Assuming one does say D&D is medieval, a flat -3 to strength "racial" essentially means the woman could never get to the same power as a man. This goes counter to the design that humans are incredibly adaptive. A strong woman is unlikely, but she could most definitely get to the same level as a man through the same circumstances. The same is true with all ability scores.

Are you really suggesting that women be treated as a different race?

Theo R Cwithin

I cast "Baconstorm!"
*facepalm*

The gender thing was loudly argued less than a month ago, and unsurprisingly didn't end well-- along with several other threads related to gender inequality issues.

Maybe give these topics a rest for a while?

Remove ads