• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Need help with a feat

JVisgaitis

Explorer
I'm working on the Violet Dawn Player's Guide, and I need a feat for one of our races that specializes in throwing daggers. I was thinking of a feat where they can throw another dagger if they score a critical hit, but I think on its own its kinda weak. Any idea for another small bonus or something else to add for a race that throws daggers?

WhatGravitas

Explorer
I'm working on the Violet Dawn Player's Guide, and I need a feat for one of our races that specializes in throwing daggers. I was thinking of a feat where they can throw another dagger if they score a critical hit, but I think on its own its kinda weak. Any idea for another small bonus or something else to add for a race that throws daggers?
You might want to offer a to-hit bonus on the follow-up attack, would help a bit.

Not going down the obvious routes (increasing damage, hit bonus, range and so on), I reckon some possible ideas could be:
- Incurring a status effect as slow/prone/immobilize (representing the precision) on crits
- Let them re-roll 1s on damage rolls with daggers (not calling it Brutal as it's not in the SRD)
- Ignore cover or concealment when using thrown daggers (same idea as precision, could be good or bad depending on the flavour)

Cheers, LT.

Roger

First Post

The PHB offers a couple of similar racial feats:

Dwarven Weapon Training: +2 damage and proficiency with axes and hammers.

Eladrin Soldier: +2 damage and proficiency with longswords and spears.

Since throwing daggers is quite a bit more specific than 'axes and hammers' or 'longswords and spears', I might roll something else in, like a Far Throw sort of benefit, or maybe a Quick Draw sort of benefit.

Cheers,
Roger

Walknot

First Post

There was that halfling stone throwing feat from 3e, to skip a stone off of one target and roll to hit a second as well. Takes a lot of rolling if your [race] is a ranger with twin-strike.

If you were a [race] with dagger throwing, then you might have a feat to deflect another thrown object that crosses her path. You can imagine these [race]'s tossing their daggers back and forth in a game like horseshoes, with the cleverest deflecting hard throws into another target.

EvilGM

Explorer
- Give a little bump in range or disregard the penalty for long range
- Give weapon property Brutal 1
- Minimize (halve?) the attack penalty for cover/concealment

The racial weapon training feats are a good guideline as well if you wrap another weapon into it.

Good luck!

JVisgaitis

Explorer
I decided to switch the feat to paragon level. I went with increasing damage from d4 to d6 and on a crit causing immobilization until the end of the next turn. Thanks guys!

Remove ads