New 13th Age 'Escalation Edition' Coming Next Year!

There's a new version of 13th Age coming! Pelgrane Press announced at Gen Con that the 13th Age 'Escalated Edition' will be coming to Kickstarter next year. It will be backwards compatible with the current game. They'll be starting a playtest program very soon, which they are inviting game groups to join. 13th Age was released in 2013, designed by Rob Heinsoo (D&D 4E) and Jonathan Tweet (D&D...

There's a new version of 13th Age coming! Pelgrane Press announced at Gen Con that the 13th Age 'Escalated Edition' will be coming to Kickstarter next year. It will be backwards compatible with the current game. They'll be starting a playtest program very soon, which they are inviting game groups to join.

13th Age was released in 2013, designed by Rob Heinsoo (D&D 4E) and Jonathan Tweet (D&D 3E), and is a 'variant' of D&D.

13a.jpeg

Staffan

Legend
Icons - the icon influence needs a cleaner approach that doesn't overwhelm the GM with loads of encumbering improv (maybe a sliding scale of "level of influence" the icons exhibit). The current system can lead to a table full of positive and negative consequences the GM has to deal with, especially overwhelming if you have a big table and lots of lucky die rolls from players. I think almost everyone I know has had to house rule this to keep it under control. (For those who don't know, each PC has a set of favored, neutral or opposed icons who have a stake in their future; at the start of each session you roll dice and see if there's a chance of a positive or negative interaction that may take place during the night's session. This can get messy, fast.)
It also has another problem: session length. I'll just take my own gaming as an example: I'm in one game that runs on Wednesday evenings, where we in theory play from 7 to 10 pm. But of course, some people are late, and there's a bunch of chatting and catching up before each game, and sometimes we end a little early when we get to something that looks like a fight and it's 9:30 already. So effective game time is something like 2 hours. I have another game that shares some of the same players on Saturdays. We usually get started at like 4 pm, then eat while chatting and stuff, and are ready to go before 5 pm and then keep going until maybe midnight: 7 hours of game.

In a 7-hour game, I could likely find nice places to have 1-3 bits of icon influence. In a 2-hour game? Doesn't sound likely.

Other "per session" mechanics in other games run into the same problem. It's one of the weaknesses of The Troubleshooters: you reset to 4 story points at the start of every session. So short sessions keep pumping in new story points at a high rate, making character weaknesses (which you get story points for triggering) less useful. Worse, most weaknesses can be triggered either for 3 points for inconvenience, or 6 points to take you out of a scene entirely... but a whole scene can sometimes be the whole session, which wastes the points. Another game with a similar mechanic is Star Wars: Force & Destiny, which is about playing Force users. As Force users, PCs are more sensitive to the Light and Dark sides of the Force, and you have a persistent stat called Morality which is about how close you are to either side. You also have a stat that resets per session, called Conflict, which increases when you do questionable stuff (including calling on the Dark Side). At the end of each session, you subtract your Conflict from 1d10, and apply the result to your Morality (so if you don't do anything bad at all you go up by the whole d10, and the more bad things you do the lower your Morality goes). Of course, shorter sessions lead to less Conflict per session, meaning you're likely to go up more.

Dire Bare

Legend
i'm sure there's a very interesting essay you can write about the different kinds of racism
Sigh. OK.

Race science is the scientific study of racial and ethnic differences between humans. It's not racism at all, just science. It is, however, controversial.

Scientific racism is racism within the scientific community, which leads to discrimination against scientists of color and also bad science. This is racism, and is a bad thing.

Does that help?

Drktalon

Villager
We can only include SRD content in the system itself due to licensing, but Pelgrane is working with us now on releasing more content. Specifics are still being worked out, but things are in progress.
I have to say that your 13th age foundry work is amazing. My group is very happy playing on online. thank you.

EzekielRaiden

Follower of the Way
Does that help?
Extremely unlikely to do so. Tweet has said something in a foolish way, which has gotten him labelled as a racist. If the poster is unwilling to even look at a longer-than-a-tweet statement because they are convinced that nothing else Tweet will say is anything but well-heeled bigotry, explaining the actual scientific information and medical concerns that are relevant to human ethnic groups is unlikely to do anything but get you labelled as a defender of someone already seen as an enemy.

I, personally, have had to deal with some of this stuff recently in my own life. Someone I am closely related to has recently been diagnosed with cancer. That person will need a bone marrow transplant, and I am one of the primary potential donor options (as the bone marrow donor list does not have a superior match, though I need to have my blood tested to see if I am a strong enough match myself.) Having done the research on what is required of me and what will happen to my relative, I have learned a lot. One of the things I have learned is that ethnic origin is highly significant for matching someone's human leukocyte antigens (the "tags" which identify living cells as being part of you rather than foreign material.) Ethnic origin is highly correlated with increased presence of certain HLAs and decreased presence of others, meaning it is (much) less likely that you'll find a good donor match from someone whose ethnicity doesn't match your own. This is extremely important because it means you will save more lives if you get donor information from a wide variety of ethnicities. Of course, since I am a close relative of the patient in question, we necessarily share a lot of our genes and our ethnic origins, and that makes our HLAs more likely to be similar. But the donor database does collect information about ethnicity and specifically seeks out more donors of non-white ethnic groups, particularly African-Americans in this case, in order to increase the odds that a patient in need will find a match. That is not racist. It is medically necessary to try to save more lives.

13th Age had a couple of blemishes for me - though I wouldn't say I dislike it.
I don't care for the One Unique Thing - as it has the tendency to turn my games silly (i.e. "I'm the only halfling who is actually a baby goose and my name is Ryan Gosling.")
my solution is simply to veto stuff that isn’t in genre. I have as I do in every game. Do I allow my modern horror heroes to be called Investy McInvesitgatorface? No, I do not. One of the gaming contacts that our group has is that you must embrace the premise of the game. Of course, if you want to run a comic game, 13A is a pretty good choice!

The Icon relationships rolled every session feel chaotic, forced, and impertinent to the story the group is telling. Sometimes they make no sense at all. (I've scrapped the concept of the Icons in some games.)
Do you act on the rolls immediately they are rolled? That would be really hard for me. I just record them and let the players use them for re-rolls or to boost relevant skill checks as a default action, and then try to find ways to incorporate one or two specific rolls is a session. I sympathize with your problem if you were trying to make all the rolls special — way too hard For me!

And then the worst is the inflated die rolling. As you go up in level, having to keep increasing the damage dice gets tedious, throwing big fistfuls of dice around every turn.
I use the same rules I do in other editions of D&D; players can average as many of their dice as they like. Typically fast adders rolling a 10d10 spell in PF2 or a 10d10 axe attack in the very last level of a 13A game roll are rolling 4d10+33. I’d suggest that for pretty much every D&D style game as an option to players. Probably more than an adoption if the players cannot add rapidly.

I also find this much worse in other D&D systems, where quite a few spells / powers roll dice in sets, so you might have 6d8 fire + 6d8 holy + 2d6 thunder or the like. That’s where things get slow and I don’t have any good solution except fixed damage for low dice; which many players dislike. Ideas welcome

We can only include SRD content in the system itself due to licensing, but Pelgrane is working with us now on releasing more content. Specifics are still being worked out, but things are in progress.
I am currently running Eyes of the Stone Thief on Foundry and the 13A support by Asacolips and his team are just fantastic. I switched from Roll20 because of them and they continue to improve and see new development monthly (thank you a ton for the default monster icons you added a few weeks ago!). Quality work, y’all, and hugely appreciated!

Related Articles

Remove ads

Remove ads