3PP Release New 3PP Release: Manual of Adventurous Resources: Battlemages!

Yeah, this is why I don't allow counterspell to be counterspelled. That, and the timing makes no sense.
it's not counterspell being counterspelled, it's the result of a counterspell being counterspelled.

not that i think my example would happen often anyway, i just thought it was funny.

WanderingMystic

Adventurer
I must say that this is the best product you have put out so far. The martial warlock is just what I want from a hexblade style warlock. (Especially when I add steampunket's new maneuvers) Beyond that the feeling for your adept subclass is very unique and was such an interesting take. I also need to say that your arcane Archer released is a perfect example of how it should have been made originally with your imbued arrows

Timespike

A5E Designer and third-party publisher
Yeah
I must say that this is the best product you have put out so far. The martial warlock is just what I want from a hexblade style warlock. (Especially when I add steampunket's new maneuvers) Beyond that the feeling for your adept subclass is very unique and was such an interesting take. I also need to say that your arcane Archer released is a perfect example of how it should have been made originally with your imbued arrows
Yeah, @Steampunkette 's magical martial traditions from the Gate Pass Gazette aren't in an SRD (yet?), so I couldn't reference them, but you should definitely consider them approved options for anything in MoAR Battlemages. They compliment the material in there perfectly.

ssims260

Villager
I just started reading through this, and the Forbidden Fist seems to be missing a 17th-level ability, and the 11th-level ability Sinister Awareness has been cut off (ends with "such as ghosts or creatures under an").

Timespike

I just started reading through this, and the Forbidden Fist seems to be missing a 17th-level ability, and the 11th-level ability Sinister Awareness has been cut off (ends with "such as ghosts or creatures under an").
Whoof. That's not good. Thank you for letting me know; I'll get the missing text for you and post it here.

However, this is actually a good set-up for another piece of news I had: MoAR Battlemages will be getting a complete layout and graphic design overhaul. If you look at the last couple of PMG releases (Benefactors & Guardians and MoAR Elements which just released today) you'll see that there's now actual PMG trade dress as a thing that exists. I have learned an enormous amount about layout, graphic design, and how to actually use my layout software since MoAR Battlemages dropped, and it just doesn't feel right to leave it in its current messy, panic layout state. So I'm not going to. The new layout will be added as another file available to download for current purchasers once I finish with it. I don't have a specific timetable for that upgrade, but hopefully it will be soon. The design work and editing are all done, after all.

Timespike

Here's the missing feature text:

Sinister Awareness​

At 11th level, you learn to extend your supernatural abilities into your senses. You may spend 4 exertion points to gain Truesight with a range of 30 feet for one minute. While this ability is active, you may attack creatures on the Ethereal Plane (such as ghosts or creatures under an etherealness effect).

While this ability is active, you can use this awareness to perceive the flow of life force through creatures and disrupt it with your strikes. Attacks you make with adept weapons or your unarmed strikes do additional necrotic damage equal to your martial arts die.

Killing Touch​

At 17th level, you learn the most terrifying technique of all, the killing touch. When you hit with a melee attack, you may declare that you are using your killing touch ability. If you do, the creature you struck has fewer than 100 hit points, it is immediately slain. If the creature has 100 hit points or more, your attack deals damage as normal and the creature also takes an additional 50 points of necrotic damage. Once you have used this ability, you cannot use it again until you have finished a long rest.

Tessarael

Explorer
Hi timespike,

A few suggestions/comments if I may regarding Warlock in MoAR Battlemages v1.2:

Armor and shield proficiency:
  • I'm surprised that the Martialist Archetype doesn't have medium armor proficiency, was that intentional?
  • For the Knight of Ancient Mysteries eldritch invocation, I would suggest to change the prerequisite on this to "medium armor proficiency and martial weapon proficiency" to make it a bit more generic.
  • There's also the broader issue of weapon + shield Warlocks spellcasting. For that, I'd suggest having an eldritch invocation along these lines: Patron's Shield: You gain proficiency in shields and can emblazon the symbol of your patron on your shield to use it as a spellcasting focus. (An emblem costs 5gp per p.327 of the Adventurer's Guide.) The latter permits you to cast spells with V,M and V,S,M components while wielding weapon and an emblazoned shield. A DC 15 Arcana check can be used to identify the emblem displayed for a patron, unless they are particularly rare, in which case a DC 15 check would indicate the type of patron at least (e.g., Aberration, Diabolic, or Fey).
Exertion pool for maneuvers:
  • The Dread Knight archetype for Warlock uses spell points for exertion pool. That's consistent with how it is done for Herald. I think that makes sense for the Martialist Archetype too, otherwise you can do a one level dip into Warlock and get that exertion pool equal to twice your proficiency bonus.
  • Secrets of the Sword eldritch invocation granting one free use per long rest of the two 1st degree maneuvers learned seems a bit weak. I suggest instead to increase the exertion pool by 2, recovered whenever you finish a short or long rest.
    • In particular, adding to the exertion pool allows the character to activate some other maneuver instead, and exertion generally is recovered on a short rest from what I've read.
    • And note that this suggested alternative is similar but weaker than the Martial Scholar feat in two key ways: (1) Martial Scholar increases the exertion pool by 3, and (2) Martial Scholar allows learning maneuvers above 1st degree, if you already know some maneuvers.

Remove ads