3PP Release New 3PP Release: Manual of Adventurous Resources: Battlemages!

Timespike

A5E Designer and third-party publisher
Just to be clear: MoAR Battlemages is getting transferred into the new trade dress and may get some small amount entirely new material added (more on that when/if it happens), but what's in there already is unlikely to change at this point beyond very small fixes like actual typo corrections.

Tessarael

Explorer
In combat you have a sharply limited number of actions, usually somewhere between 3-5. Maneuvers compete with spells for those action slots, but they don't serve much purpose outside of combat, whereas spells do have out of combat utility. Because they're competing with spells for in-combat actions, you're not actually increasing the warlock's effective output significantly, even with a larger resource pool (unless perhaps they really focus on BA/Reaction maneuvers...which is honestly interesting enough that I think it's fine).
I understand your point. At higher levels, you are probably correct and there's a sufficiently large enough pool of exertion points and spell points that it doesn't matter. However, at low levels, you're heavily resource constrained, and the additional resources from exertion points are significant.

For example, I have a level 2 Warlock. So far, I have not taken any non-combat spells, other than cantrips (Friends and Prestidigitation). Other than throwing Eldritch Blast or attacking with a weapons, I had one 1st level spell that I could cast per short rest at Warlock level 1, and now at Warlock level 2 I can cast two 1st level spells per short rest.

If you add 2x proficiency bonus exertion points, I can now also do one or two combat maneuvers per short rest, depending on the exertion point cost for the 1st level maneuvers that I get. I think that is fairly significant in terms of additional resources. A number of maneuvers can be used as reactions or bonus actions, so they're not necessarily competing in the action economy vs. casting a spell.

A couple of example maneuvers that could be very helpful:
  • Bonus action: Catch Your Breath to regain 1d6 + proficiency bonus + Constitution modifier for 2 exertion points.
  • Reaction: When a creature misses you with a melee weapon attack, use your reaction to throw it 15' if it fails a Dexterity save.
Getting a 1st level maneuver and exertion points is probably a fair trade instead of getting the Warlock archetype curse or the alternative.

Last edited:

Timespike

I'm still working on the upgraded version as I have time. Thought folks might enjoy a sample of what it's looking like. :)
MoAR_Battlemages_Arcane_Showoff.jpg

Timespike

If you've already purchased MoAR Battlemages, check your downloads for the new version. If you haven't picked it up yet, this link will get the first 1,000 people to use it in April a 10% discount on it!

Last edited:

Gnome Rager

Villager
If you've already purchased MoAR Battlemages, check your downloads for the new version. If you haven't picked it up yet, this link will get the first 1,000 people to use it in April a 10% discount on it!
Just a quick note to thank you both for getting this out quick amid all the uncertainty and then taking the time to revisit it and sharpen it up with the new layout.

Stay classy!

WanderingMystic

Adventurer
The new version is visually stunning. You have done a great job of setting the tone of the supplement and it makes me want to buy even more work from you. Alas I now own all of your completed works so I must bide my time.

Remove ads