New Aliens vs Predators trailer

blackshirt5

First Post
Kai Lord said:
Labels evolve and overlap. What you term as butt rock now often fit under the "Glam Rock" umbrella of the 90's and was just plain old mainstream "Rock" for the most part during its heyday in the 80's.

But whats its called isn't the point and who listens to it isn't the point. The point was it has no place in the score of a serious sci-fi film. We all "listen" to a lot of music that has no place in certain films. Metal/Butt Rock/Hard-Rock-of-any-kind and an Alien/Predator film is just a horrid combination.

Way to show knowledge of music history. Glam WAS the 80's. By the 90's, we'd ended up in definite Grunge Rock territory.

This looks really cool, and I think that the soundtrack will only lift it up further. After all, it worked for Spawn(a crap movie saved by an awesome soundtrack).

Plane Sailing

Astral Admin - Mwahahaha!
I just checked the trailer out - notice that it is an "apple exclusive" trailer with the (IMO annoying) rock track. Checking out the standard trailer is a much more classy choral piece (which is much more "in" at the moment too).

Out of interest, also compare the music for I, Robot (standard trailer) and I, Robot (apple trailer). Once again the standard of the music seems (again IMO) far less appropriate, less atmospheric in the "apple exclusive" trailer.

Perhaps some others might like to check out these differences too and see what you think... based on this small sample it seems as if the "apple exclusive" trailers have the poorer music and I wonder if this suggests that they are perhaps not the best representation of the way the actual film will sound.

Just food for thought.

Cheers

Actually, Glam Rock was more the later 70s -- stuff like Styx and David Bowie, not the Def Leppard, Whitesnake, etc. that seems to be implied by this thread.

blackshirt5

First Post
Oops, my bad. Well, I was born in 83, so I tend to think of Glam Rock as more the stuff my sister was listening to when I was a kid; Poison, Whitesnake, Great White, etc.

Kai Lord

Hero
blackshirt5 said:
Way to show knowledge of music history. Glam WAS the 80's. By the 90's, we'd ended up in definite Grunge Rock territory.
You misunderstood. I said it was the label that was used in the 90's to describe the lipstick/hair band groups of the 70's/80's. I'm sure the term was coined well before then, but in the 80's for instance, Poison was just another popular rock band. In the 90's they were pigeon-holed as glam rockers.

blackshirt5

First Post
Kai Lord said:
You misunderstood. I said it was the label that was used in the 90's to describe the lipstick/hair band groups of the 70's/80's. I'm sure the term was coined well before then, but in the 80's for instance, Poison was just another popular rock band. In the 90's they were pigeon-holed as glam rockers.
Not to take this off-topic too far, but again have to disagree.

Early 1980's: Metallica and Exodus are formed, along with Slayer, and a few other bands.

About 5 days later: Poison gets labelled as "sellout, glam, B****-rock."

The term was around WAY before the 90's.

Bass Puppet

First Post
You know, I don't think a specific genre of music is going to make a movie "Campy". It might contribute to it, but not define it. If the music is cheesy, either it be rap, industrial, jazz, rock, or whatever, then I understand. It either works, or it doesn't.

So can we move on with this Aliens vs. Predators discussion?

Last edited:

No, but it is extremely rare for trailers to feature music from the movies themselves. I was just watching a DVD trailer for Peter Pan, which is also on DVD by now, and the trailer had a Coldplay song in the background. As you can probably imagine, the Peter Pan movie itself did not feature any music that was at all like "Clocks."

I could, if I didn't already know better (we bought Peter Pan for my daughter's birthday a few weeks ago, and we saw it in theatres as well) make the assumption that Peter Pan was going to be lame because instead of taking classic cues from the book, the movie as an attempt to modernize the story and make it hip.

If I had made such a judgement based on the music in the trailer, I would have been grossly wrong. This latest Peter Pan was the closest to the spirit of the original literary version yet.

Remove ads