New At-Wills

WhatGravitas

Explorer
I think at-will powers are really defining the classes. Hence, I created additional at-will powers to make the classes more interesting - and to give humans more interesting choices.

[sblock=Cleric]Inner Light Cleric Attack 1
Your head is surrounded by a glowing halo, punishing your foes with terrible light.
At-Will * Divine, Implement, Radiant
Standard Action Close burst 1
Target: All enemies in burst
Attack: Wisdom vs. Fortitude
Hit: Radiant damage equal to your Wisdom modifier and gains no benefits from concealment less than total concealment until the end of your next turn.[/sblock]
[sblock=Fighter]Encircling Strike Fighter Attack 1
You attack your target forcing him to open up to an attack or to allow you maneuvering.
At-Will * Martial, Weapon
Standard Action Melee weapon
Target: One creature
Attack: Strength vs. AC
Hit: 1[W] + Strength modifier damage.
Miss: You may shift 1 square to a square adjacent to the target.
Increase the damage to 2[W] + Strength modifier at 21st level.[/sblock]
[sblock=Paladin]Seek the Marked Paladin Attack 1
Your divine mark draws your furious blade towards the trespasser.
At-Will * Divine, Weapon
Target: One creature marked by you
Attack: Strength + 2 (melee) vs. AC
Hit: 1[W] + Strength modifier damage.
Increase the damage to 2[W] + Strength modifier at 21st level.[/sblock]
[sblock=Ranger]Blocking Shot Ranger Attack 1
You hinder your foe's movement with your attack.
Standard Action Ranged weapon
Attack: Dexterity vs. AC
Hit: 1[W] + Dexterity modifier damage and the target treats all squares in a burst 1 centered on the target's current square as difficult terrain until the end of your next turn.
Increase the damage to 2[W] + Dexterity modifier damage.[/sblock]
[sblock=Rogue]Twisted Strike Rogue Attack 1
After you hit, you twist your weapon to rip horrific wounds.
Attack: Dexterity vs. AC
Hit: 1[W] + Dexterity modifier damage and make a secondary attack.
Increase the damage to 2[W] + Dexterity modifier damage at 21st level.
Secondary Attack: Strength vs. AC
Secondary Hit: Ongoing damage equal to your Strength modifier (save ends).[/sblock]
[sblock=Warlock]Ruinous Blow Warlock Attack 1
Your knife sparkles with fell darkness, cutting deep into your foe’s soul.
At-Will * Arcane, Weapon
Attack: Charisma or Constitution vs. AC
Hit: 1[W] + Charisma or Constitution modifier damage.
Increase the damage to 2[W] + Charisma or Constitution modifier damage at 21st level.
Special: At 1st level, you determine whether you use Charisma or Constitution to attack with this power. Once you make that choice, you cannot change it later.

NOTE: I'd allow it as replacement for Eldritch Blast for the more melee oriented warlocks (if there are any).[/sblock]
[sblock=Warlord]Protector’s Strike Warlord Attack 1
By attacking your enemy carefully, you can force him to concentrate on you instead of your allies.
Attack: Strength vs. AC
Hit: 1[W] damage and the target is marked by until the end of your next turn.
Increase the damage to 2[W] at 21st level.[/sblock]
[sblock=Wizard]Unseen Force Wizard Attack 1
You project a hammer-like blow to your enemy, hurling him through the room.
At-Will * Arcane, Force, Implement
Standard Action Ranged 10
Attack: Intelligence vs. Fortitude
Hit: Force damage equal to your Intelligence modifier and slide the target a number of squares equal your Wisdom modifier.[/sblock]

Of course, I hope for criticism, suggestions, blahblah, you know the drill.

Cheers, LT.

Last edited:

chromeraven

First Post
They all seem a bit strong, but we've only got one book to judge by... so here's my immediate reactions:

The cleric seems weaker than the others, but that may just be because I've not run into a lot of situations with hiding enemies yet...

Warlord seems like it's stepping on the defender's toes a little.

I think the rogue and paladin ones are particularly concept appropriate.

WhatGravitas

Explorer
They all seem a bit strong, but we've only got one book to judge by... so here's my immediate reactions:
About strong: Yes, that's what I'm fearing - but then, most classes only have one or two really good at-wills, humans are only getting something out of their extra at-wills in the case of wizards - most other have two "no-brainers".

The cleric seems weaker than the others, but that may just be because I've not run into a lot of situations with hiding enemies yet...
On the other hand, it's a close burst, I'm not willing to hand these guys out easily - close bursts against enemies only is a very effective minion killer - which should be more of a job for the controller.

Warlord seems like it's stepping on the defender's toes a little.
Only a little - and with his high number of free shiftings, Viper's Strike and so on, he's already "defendery" - but he has to devote his standard action to this with reduced damage - the "true" defenders can do it in addition to normal attacks. So, I think, the toe-stepping is not that bad. :erm:

I think the rogue and paladin ones are particularly concept appropriate.
Well, this makes me happy, because these two, plus the ranger, were the hardest one (the ranger one is far to close to Sly Flourish, right now)! ;)

Cheers, LT.

Evilhalfling

Adventurer
I would be reluctant to give a close burst power as an at will - its overpowered compared to cleave, already a decent power.

The wizard power is also a problem, they already have an at-will slide and this one is even better for a wizard at most ranges.

the others seem fine, but since at-wills are going to be the most used power over the

Pistonrager

First Post
ok.. let's see.

Cleric, arguably weak, but i could see where it could come in handy if the DM throws lots of sneaky things around.

Fighter, Whoah... powerful... I'd basically never use anything else as a fighter. it's easily as or more powerful than some of the other low level powers.

Paladin, why is it usable with ranged attacks? otherwise decent it's slightly more powerful

Ranger, Pretty good compared to other ranger abilities, it has potential to the only attack used on anything with resistances.

Rogue, Not bad, i don't see it getting much use at higher levels due to the second attack being limited in damage potential but very nice for a brute rogue at low levels.

Warlock, good idea, I'd test it side by side with a version that attacked Fort and reflex(depending on the stat used) , but i don't see any warlock opting for a melee attack... ever. It may just be me.

Warlord, not bad as a basic power specially if the party doesn't have a fighter. But I'd make the mark come from an "Effect:" line so it works like the fighter mark, marking on a miss too.

Wizard, pretty good, it gives the wizard another reason to buy up Wisdom(or any stat for that matter) a good power for battlefield control.

generalhenry

First Post

ok

seems very fragile, it could get out of control with high +hit

dex? ranged? BLEH

...too weak Twin strike has it beat for DPR reliability and flexibility

Ongoing should only be used for dailies, it's a ton of book keeping.

seams fine.

a bit too much of a defender ability. Encounter fine, but at will?

fine, weak if anything

Stalker0

Legend
For the wizard one....why not make it dex instead of wisdom? Wisdom wizards get way too much love already, two of the at-wills rely on wisdom...NONE of the at-wills rely on dex or con. And the orb is already a very powerful implement.

Single target effects are more the domain of dex anyway (rays and such), so I would change this one to dex.

Also I agree the ranger at-will does not match twin strike. Here's the thing, FORGET about damaging at-wills for the ranger, twin strike has that niche in the bag...and any at-will that competes with it is just going to be overpowered. So I would focus on other possibilities for ranger at-wills.

WhatGravitas

Explorer
seems very fragile, it could get out of control with high +hit
Well, changed to something tactically more interesting - let's see how it works. :)
dex? ranged? BLEH
Huh? Why? This is just some extra, if a paladin has to face something ranged - it's just an extra.
Ongoing should only be used for dailies, it's a ton of book keeping.
Well, it's about as much bookkeeping as Riposte Strike or the warlock at-wills that trigger off various things (on average, as it will only kick in once).
For the wizard one....why not make it dex instead of wisdom? Wisdom wizards get way too much love already, two of the at-wills rely on wisdom...NONE of the at-wills rely on dex or con. And the orb is already a very powerful implement.
True, but right now, the wizard is pretty much a Int/Wis guy, and there is almost no reason to branch out, it would just make this at-will much less viable. However, I think if this goes to Dex, then I'd houserule Thunderwave to Con (fitting the theme of pushing with the staff).
So I would focus on other possibilities for ranger at-wills.
Ideas? I guess something with optional triggering, like the Riposte Strike or the warlock's pact at-wills would be fitting! :)

Cheers, LT.

Crashy75

First Post
Very creative. I only have one suggestion so far. Make the paladin at-will melee only, and if I'm not mistaken, shouldn't that +2 to strike be vs. opponents you've marked?

WhatGravitas

Explorer
...and if I'm not mistaken, shouldn't that +2 to strike be vs. opponents you've marked?
Well... considering the target line "Target: One creature marked by you", you can only attack opponents you've marked. For non-marked opponents, you can just use the basic attack and you get the same (sans the +2).

And yeah, I've dropped the ranged version (I've done it, because it is a bit bland... on the other hand, it's probably a heavily used at-will, if the paladin concentrates on one creature).
So I would focus on other possibilities for ranger at-wills.
Well... I've done that - the new version deals no extra damage, instead the target treats adjacent squares as difficult terrain - it's like a poor man's ray of frost in some ways, but allows critters with abilities to ignore difficult terrain to shine.

Cheers, LT.

Last edited:

Remove ads