New Campaign Setting Hint Is Eberron?

Eberron? Count me in!

For me, the best thing about an official Eberron product probably won't be the book itself.
It'll be that this will mean Eberron is opened up to the DMsGuild, allowing Keith Baker to sell his Eberron products there.

Carl Green1

First Post
I would rather WOTC give us a new campaign world. If I'm not mistaken, the most recent one was Eberron in 2003. That's 15 years since we got something fresh.

I could not agree more... give us something NEW for 5E!

I know WoTC wanted the 5E experience to have the 'shared' adventures that early 1E had (when everyone played Temple, Giants, etc).

But enough already! Give us a new world, and some new adventures and stories!

DarkHerald

First Post
I could not agree more... give us something NEW for 5E!

I know WoTC wanted the 5E experience to have the 'shared' adventures that early 1E had (when everyone played Temple, Giants, etc).

But enough already! Give us a new world, and some new adventures and stories!

The likelihood of new setting from WotC is slim at best. The fact is that they are sitting with a lot of IP that is not been used and with minimal effort can rehash the material at a fraction of the cost.

WotC biggest failing at this stage is not listening to their customer base, as well as lower quality products both from content and production. There are a number of classic settings that they can bring back that would entertain a large audience.

Historically – and I'm talking back in the TSR days – putting out too many settings and dividing up their customer base was a bad idea. WOTC is now, wisely, working on the basis that every product it puts out (the DM's Guide excepted) should be something everyone who plays/runs the game will get value out of buying. Devoting time and effort to a setting book that might only appeal to a segment of their customer base doesn't follow that business plan. Hence my belief that they'll allow third parties to create licensed content for a couple of other settings and/or open the DM's Guild to other creators for those newly opened settings.

Definitely looks like ‘campaign setting’ from the blurred letters but the last 2 on the top line seem out of whack with the rest of the characters on that line. He is famous for trolling though, isn’t he?

Rich Burlew's second-place setting

Besides the Classic worlds - Greyhawk, Eberron, Mystara, Dark Sun, etc - I'd like WotC to include the "runner-up" setting from the Setting Search.

Remember the Fantasy Setting Search? That was the contest which resulted in the birth of Eberron. But WotC also purchased the rights to the setting which won second place, by Rich Burlew, who later went on to create Order of the Stick. AFAIK, details of the second place setting has never been revealed.

Last edited by a moderator:

Charlaquin

Goblin Queen (She/Her/Hers)
Definitely looks like ‘campaign setting’ from the blurred letters but the last 2 on the top line seem out of whack with the rest of the characters on that line. He is famous for trolling though, isn’t he?

The o in Eberron has always looked like that. The n being larger is new, but I bet the E is larger too.

Pauper

That guy, who does that thing.
1) Fix the maps in the scan of the original boxed set available at DM's Guild so that they can be printed properly

Not sure if you're aware of the Flanaess Map project produced by Anna B Meyer; she's already done a first round of maps of the Flanaess which are very good -- we're using them to play a new Age of Worms campaign in Greyhawk proper (rather than the generic 'Greyhawk with serial numbers filed off' setting of the original adventures), and she's in the process of doing a second pass of the same maps, but more detailed, with GIS data and a bunch of other enhancements. And it's all licensed under Creative Commons, so using the maps for your campaign is A-OK!

I figure this might solve your problem.

2) open up Greyhawk for publishers on DM's Guild. Doing those two things would probably do more to spread interest in Greyhawk in the long term than any actual product that Wizards might put out.

I'd be fine with this -- not only would it spur a lot of conversions of older AD&D material, but I could consider re-working the Age of Worms to be a Greyhawk-specific series of adventures (which would make it 'original' enough, by my reading of the DMs Guild terms of use, to be allowed) rather than a simple list of 5E conversion notes.

That doesn't seem to be the way the rumors are trending, but I'd be happy to be surprised.

--
Pauper

Remove ads

Remove ads