• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D (2024) New Classes for 5e. Is anything missing?

Is there a good case for additional class for the base experience of 5th edition D&D

• Yes. Bring on the new classes!

Votes: 28 19.9%
  • Yes. There are maybe few classes missing in the shared experience of D&D in this edition

Votes: 40 28.4%
  • Yes, but it's really only one class that is really missing

Votes: 9 6.4%
  • Depends. Multiclass/Feats/Alternates covers most of it. But new classes needed if banned

Votes: 3 2.1%
  • Depends. It depends on the mechanical importance at the table

Votes: 3 2.1%
  • No, but new classes might be needed for specific settings or genres

Votes: 11 7.8%
  • No, but a few more subclasses might be needed to cover the holes

Votes: 13 9.2%
  • No, 5th edition covers all of the base experience with its roster of classes.

Votes: 9 6.4%
  • No. And with some minor adjustments, a few classes could be combined.

Votes: 23 16.3%
  • Other

Votes: 2 1.4%

Parmandur

Book-Friend
I think the swordmage/gish has a pretty strong identity, actually. It’s more like the fighter than like the paladin, in that each archetype is an archetype, whereas paladin is the archetype and the subclasses are variations of that archetype.

What I mean is, the identity is “warrior whose traditions are both martial and arcane”, with the single most important aspect being that the character doesn’t feel like a multiclass.

EK isn’t a good gish because it very strongly feels like a fighter who learned some spells in an exchange program. An actual gish should feel like a graduate from a school where you learn spells with sword in hand, and the sparring ring hums with magic, because the two elements are not separate in any way.
Absolutely, 100% earned question: what are the narrative examples for this archetype from fiction?

Levistus's_Leviathan

5e Freelancer
Absolutely, 100% earned question: what are the narrative examples for this archetype from fiction?
Does the Witcher count? Maybe the Heralds/Knights Radiant from the Stormlight Archive? Spellswords from the Elder Scrolls? The Forgemasters from Castlevania? Zuko from Avatar the Last Airbender? Danny Phantom when he uses a sword? Mystic Knights from Final Fantasy V? Gandalf could possibly count, as he uses a Sword and Staff. Eragon from the Inheritance Cycle?

There's quite a few examples from pop culture similar to this concept, and some in D&D's history (Duskblades and Swordmages).

And if there aren't any that perfectly match up . . . D&D can create its own stuff, can't it? It's been doing this for nearly 50 years already.

doctorbadwolf

Heretic of The Seventh Circle
I’ve never seen an example of a cleric in fiction that wasn’t a terrible fit for the class in any edition. Nor most of the classes.

But I also don’t care, nor do I view the “justify wanting a thing” mentality as at all valid. 🤷‍♂️

doctorbadwolf

Heretic of The Seventh Circle
Does the Witcher count? Maybe the Heralds/Knights Radiant from the Stormlight Archive? Spellswords from the Elder Scrolls? The Forgemasters from Castlevania? Zuko from Avatar the Last Airbender? Danny Phantom when he uses a sword? Mystic Knights from Final Fantasy V? Gandalf could possibly count, as he uses a Sword and Staff. Eragon from the Inheritance Cycle?

There's quite a few examples from pop culture similar to this concept, and some in D&D's history (Duskblades and Swordmages).

And if there aren't any that perfectly match up . . . D&D can create its own stuff, can't it? It's been doing this for nearly 50 years already.
Exactly.

In addition, identity and direct precedent aren’t the same thing, so the question wasn’t even strongly relevant to what it replied to.

Irlo

Hero
I’ve never seen an example of a cleric in fiction that wasn’t a terrible fit for the class in any edition. Nor most of the classes.

But I also don’t care, nor do I view the “justify wanting a thing” mentality as at all valid. 🤷‍♂️
Still, it's useful to know the narratative examples of the archetype (from whatever the source) to use as a basis to build a class or sub-class.

Minigiant

Legend
Supporter
There are several.

• Tzeentch Warriors of 40k and WHFB
  • Elven Might Knights of many series
  • Dragon Age Arcane Warriors
  • The hero in most of Dragon Quest
  • Heraldic Knights in Star Ocean
  • Way too many in Anime and Manga
  • Witchers
  • ES spellswords
Typically they are the Dept of Badassery of the Military in a high magic setting.

Last edited:

Remove ads