D&D Movie/TV New D&D Movie: July 23rd 2021

It's official - the new Dungeons & Dragons movie is coming, and it's coming in four years - July 23rd, 2021, as announced by Paramount.

It's official - the new Dungeons & Dragons movie is coming, and it's coming in four years - July 23rd, 2021, as announced by Paramount.

dungeons-and-dragons-banner.jpg

We already know that the movie will be produced by the Lego Movie's Roy Lee, that it will be directed by Rob Letterman (Goosebumps, Monsters vs. Aliens, Shark Tale). Originally scripted by David Leslie Johnson (Wrath of the Titans), it's now being written by Joe Manganelio, might be Dragonlance and then again might feature the Yawning Portal, and will adopt a Guardians of the Galaxy tone. Oh, and that we should take everything I just said with a pinch of salt as the movie appears have jumped from WB to Paramount at some point in the process!

Oofta

Legend
So the real question is, who will they get to play Bobby? And will the CGI Uni just look stupid? Or are they going to go old school and do puppets for Yoda Dungeon Master? Questions, questions, questions.

View attachment 92172

generic

On that metempsychosis tweak
Although the original movie was reported to be set in Dragonlance, I think that the studio change is probably a sign that the setting will change to Faerun, Big Daddy Hasbro wouldn't allow anything else. I'm trying to think about the story, but I really can't think of many things that would be likely to be made into a film, anyone else have ideas?

lyle.spade

Adventurer
I have only walked out of one movie in my life: the original DnD flick. I watched up to the point where they met the dwarf and, if memory serves me, the elf first appeared, peeping at them from in a tree. If these details are a little off, please forgive me - I've not watched it since. I actually asked for my money back, politely telling the folks at the theater that it was, truly, the worst movie I'd ever seen. I was gobsmacked by how bad it was in every way possible. I will speak no further of those lost 25 minutes of my life.

The second movie, which I believe was a SciFi (Syfy?) channel turd, was somewhat better, even though the lich's head looked like Jack from the Jack in the Box ads. It at least tried to give nods to players of the game through establishing scenes for the barbarian and rogue, but otherwise was only something I watched because I was bored beyond beliefe that day and felt lazy.

Thus, the bar is exceptionally low for this next iteration, in terms of quality. I am, much like my dogs, an optimist, however, and given the notes we've gotten about it so far it actually could be worth seeing and....sputter, gasp...could be a commercial success if done well.

Watch: it'll be entertaining and generally successful, and in part because it pokes a little fun at itself, the genre, the game, and gamers and their creations...and Grognards around the world will damn it for doing so, or getting Drizzt's cloak wrong, or the flight pattern of wyverns off by a few degrees. Watch and see.

Ghost2020

Adventurer
Well if it's anything like a true hollywood project Joe's will be first of nine or more drafts of the screenplay.
He'll be lucky if anything of his survives long enough to get a writing credit.

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
Random fact. [FONT=Graphik Web, Arial, sans-serif]New Line's movie in 2000 grossed $33 million worldwide. So about the same amount as the North American RPG market in one year.[/FONT]

Other way around, I think. The movie was originally announced as Faerun-based, then along came Joe Manganiello and his Dragonlance script.

Three years seems a long time – especially considering the movie was first announced in 2015, putting that up to six years, really. That kinda concerns me. Since this is part of the Hasbro shared universe idea, the D&D movie could very well end up going the way of Bride of Frankenstein and the rest of the Dark Universe after the Mummy.

Although the original movie was reported to be set in Dragonlance, I think that the studio change is probably a sign that the setting will change to Faerun, Big Daddy Hasbro wouldn't allow anything else. I'm trying to think about the story, but I really can't think of many things that would be likely to be made into a film, anyone else have ideas?

SMHWorlds

Adventurer
I definitely would watch a D&D movie based on the cartoon.

But I do not want a "fun" Guardians of the Galaxy style movie. It can be kid friendly and still be nuanced, adult, deadly, and heavy. I don't mind humor as long as it is organic and appropriate.

Three years seems a long time – especially considering the movie was first announced in 2015, putting that up to six years, really. That kinda concerns me. Since this is part of the Hasbro shared universe idea, the D&D movie could very well end up going the way of Bride of Frankenstein and the rest of the Dark Universe after the Mummy.

Agreed, another 3 year delay does not bode well. It gives time for everything said and done before to be redone from scratch. So anything we think we knew, I'd throw it out and start over.

Warpiglet

Adventurer
Prediction: It will be mediocre. Not horrible and not good. It will be forgettable. The most vehement complaints will be from gamers who dislike the departures. It will be better than the former travesty but will be watered down overuse of fantasy conventions.

They could do great things but will appeal to the masses who are invested relatively little--just the price of the ticket. It will be flashy enough to dazzle for its under 2 hour run time, but no D&D fans are going to be thrilled.

Hear me now, believe me later.

Remove ads

Remove ads