D&D Movie/TV New D&D Movie: July 23rd 2021

It's official - the new Dungeons & Dragons movie is coming, and it's coming in four years - July 23rd, 2021, as announced by Paramount.

dungeons-and-dragons-banner.jpg

We already know that the movie will be produced by the Lego Movie's Roy Lee, that it will be directed by Rob Letterman (Goosebumps, Monsters vs. Aliens, Shark Tale). Originally scripted by David Leslie Johnson (Wrath of the Titans), it's now being written by Joe Manganelio, might be Dragonlance and then again might feature the Yawning Portal, and will adopt a Guardians of the Galaxy tone. Oh, and that we should take everything I just said with a pinch of salt as the movie appears have jumped from WB to Paramount at some point in the process!

Stalker0

Legend
A little research shows that this is not the first time Hasbro has made a multi-movie multi-year deal with a movie studio only to have it end early and incomplete. They did it with Battleship and Universal; http://www.vulture.com/2012/02/universal-hasbro-candy-land-stretch-armstrong.html

The one thing I give the battleship movie....they got a navy to actually play the game battleship in open water, with about as reasonable as explanation as I could have possibly expected. Now the movie was generic and terrible otherwise, but I do give them brownie points for that.

Oofta

Legend
Judging a movie like this based on previous D&D movies or movies produced by the same company is pretty pointless IMHO. All studios are looking for the next big franchise. Sometimes it works (MCU, the new Star Wars movies) sometimes it doesn't.

We won't know until the movie is released. I will say that the biggest problem is going to be making a movie that you can relate to while not falling into the CGI silliness like the WOW movie. Whatever it is, I don't think it will be the low-budget ****-fest that were the previous movies so at least there's hope.

robus

Lowcountry Low Roller
Supporter
Judging a movie like this based on previous D&D movies or movies produced by the same company is pretty pointless IMHO. All studios are looking for the next big franchise. Sometimes it works (MCU, the new Star Wars movies) sometimes it doesn't.

We won't know until the movie is released. I will say that the biggest problem is going to be making a movie that you can relate to while not falling into the CGI silliness like the WOW movie. Whatever it is, I don't think it will be the low-budget ****-fest that were the previous movies so at least there's hope.

Agreed but past can be prologue. If they can catch a cultural wave like Pirates of the Caribbean (which everyone expected to be awful, but was actually a very fun romp) then that would be awesome (I don't think we should expect another LotR from D&D). But if it was easy, everyone would be doing it... :)

In my opinion, for example, The Last Jedi was terrible (and I consider myself a Star Wars fan), and I'm far from alone, so even with all the money and momentum in the world a movie can fail (of course TLJ is raking in the cash, because Star Wars, but the word of mouth is not trending well).

doctorbadwolf

Heretic of The Seventh Circle
I definitely would watch a D&D movie based on the cartoon.

But I do not want a "fun" Guardians of the Galaxy style movie. It can be kid friendly and still be nuanced, adult, deadly, and heavy. I don't mind humor as long as it is organic and appropriate.

So, like Guardians of The Galaxy?

Remove ads

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases