D&D Movie/TV New D&D Movie: July 23rd 2021

It's official - the new Dungeons & Dragons movie is coming, and it's coming in four years - July 23rd, 2021, as announced by Paramount.

dungeons-and-dragons-banner.jpg

We already know that the movie will be produced by the Lego Movie's Roy Lee, that it will be directed by Rob Letterman (Goosebumps, Monsters vs. Aliens, Shark Tale). Originally scripted by David Leslie Johnson (Wrath of the Titans), it's now being written by Joe Manganelio, might be Dragonlance and then again might feature the Yawning Portal, and will adopt a Guardians of the Galaxy tone. Oh, and that we should take everything I just said with a pinch of salt as the movie appears have jumped from WB to Paramount at some point in the process!

Parmandur

Book-Friend
I want to know where Forbes is getting $750 million from. Justice League, according to every source I can find, had a production cost of $300 million. By rule of thumb, it's already profitable. The only way they could require $750 million to be profitable is if they had an advertising budget of $450 million.

I'm definitely calling shenanigans on this one.
Warner Bros. will be fine, but yet heads are rolling for a reason.

Sent from my [device_name] using EN World mobile app

ArchfiendBobbie

First Post
You do know that the ticket sales numbers reported are before the movie theaters get their cut of ticket sales, right? Current estimates give an average of 60% of US sales and anywhere from 20-40% of foreign sales, depending on country, goes to the movie studio, so for big blockbusters we can figure an average of 50% overall. That means a movie that cost $300 million to make needs to sell $600 million in tickets to break even on production costs, and that does not even cover the advertising costs. A movie like Justice League could have easily cost $150 million in marketing worldwide, so that would make it about $750 million to break even between ticket sales, dvd sales, pay-per-view, etc.

Which does not track with how anyone else has been judging whether or not a movie is profitable, including Forbes.

Quartz

Hero
So I've skipped over 250 messages; so sue me.. :)

I think the next D&D movie needs to channel Harry Potter for its magic. Depending upon the target audience, it could be anywhere from Game of Thrones to Excalibur to Your Highness, all crossed with Harry Potter. Spells should zap back and forth, splashing on shields and armour. Personally, I would go for Your Highness.

flametitan

Explorer
So I've skipped over 250 messages; so sue me.. :)

I think the next D&D movie needs to channel Harry Potter for its magic. Depending upon the target audience, it could be anywhere from Game of Thrones to Excalibur to Your Highness, all crossed with Harry Potter. Spells should zap back and forth, splashing on shields and armour. Personally, I would go for Your Highness.

I'm guessing this depends on what we mean by "spells zapping back and forth". I still want the magic to be recognizably D&D in the way it affects the battle. Grease being splashed onto the ground; fireballs exploding in the distance; Stinking clouds being used with gusts of wind to try and disperse them.

I don't know about studies, but the BDSM community was rather united in reviling the Fifty Shades movies.

Like they were against "The Secretary". But, imo, I think both movies have had positive impacts on how the BDSM community is perceived by outsiders. though I don't know of any scientific evidence either way.

So, if the movie is reviled by the community, but viewed favorable by outsiders and leads those outsiders to view the minority in a positive light, is that a good thing?

ArchfiendBobbie

First Post
Like they were against "The Secretary". But, imo, I think both movies have had positive impacts on how the BDSM community is perceived by outsiders. though I don't know of any scientific evidence either way.

So, if the movie is reviled by the community, but viewed favorable by outsiders and leads those outsiders to view the minority in a positive light, is that a good thing?

In this case? No. A reviled movie like those two tend to result in people getting seriously injured or in very abusive relationships if they are not wise enough to separate fact from fiction, and in this scenario far too many people are definitely not.

BDSM is lifestyle where ignorance or, worse, false information can seriously injure or even kill you. That is why "Safe" is the first part of the standard "Safe. Sane. Consentual" standard.

DnD is an entirely different scenario.

Fifty Shades and Secretary really are not good examples for this kind of argument.

Fifty Shades and Secretary really are not good examples for this kind of argument.

Rather than getting caught up in the example, if the D&D movie is reviled by the D&D community, but viewed favorable by outsiders and leads those outsiders to view the D&D players in a positive light, is that a good thing?

ArchfiendBobbie

First Post
Rather than getting caught up in the example, if the D&D movie is reviled by the D&D community, but viewed favorable by outsiders and leads those outsiders to view the D&D players in a positive light, is that a good thing?

Okay, moving beyond that... DnD is a niche hobby, pretty much. It would need to impress people a lot. And, well, when it comes to niche hobbies and niche franchises... Take a look at the 2016 Ghostbusters movie as an example of how that can very much work against us.

Having your core fanbase hate you is risky. Very risky. Because at the end of the day, those are the people you rely on for guaranteed sales. If they are not buying, you risk failing hard. Especially if there is a lot of controversy because the fanbase hates your product and is very vocal. And when have DnD fans not been vocal?

Remove ads

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases