D&D Movie/TV New D&D Movie: July 23rd 2021

It's official - the new Dungeons & Dragons movie is coming, and it's coming in four years - July 23rd, 2021, as announced by Paramount.

It's official - the new Dungeons & Dragons movie is coming, and it's coming in four years - July 23rd, 2021, as announced by Paramount.

dungeons-and-dragons-banner.jpg

We already know that the movie will be produced by the Lego Movie's Roy Lee, that it will be directed by Rob Letterman (Goosebumps, Monsters vs. Aliens, Shark Tale). Originally scripted by David Leslie Johnson (Wrath of the Titans), it's now being written by Joe Manganelio, might be Dragonlance and then again might feature the Yawning Portal, and will adopt a Guardians of the Galaxy tone. Oh, and that we should take everything I just said with a pinch of salt as the movie appears have jumped from WB to Paramount at some point in the process!

Why not use Eberron I mean seriously!
Because Wizards is very conservative when it comes to opening up settings? Odds are they would not want to re-open a setting with a movie.

Of course with the new timeline, their is plenty of time to introduce a setting (including Eberron) prior to the movie.

But I still think the movie will be set in a standard fantasy setting. Probably FR, but maybe Greyhawk. I think they will still want the movie directed at the "core" or typical fantasy setting.

gyor

Legend
I see Forgotten Realms and Dragonlance being the only realistic choices for a movie at this early stage, Dragonlance because it's core story is the easiest to make into movies and Forgotten Realms because it's the most popular setting and flexible enough to tell almost any kind of story in it, even a Guardians of the Galaxy type story.

hopeless

Adventurer
How hard would it be to use a modified version of the Neverwinter MMO as a d&d movie?

Shipwrecked during the attack on Neverwinter by Valindra they discover it's a diversion to allow the Nashers to steal the Crown of Neverwinter which they witness but due to the guards interfering they escape.
The Guard Captain agreed to give them the time to prove their innocence resulting in recovering the crown after a search of Blacklake.

Admittedly needs a bit more work but it's set in Faerun and fits the bill doesn't it?

I wouldn't be averse to seeing at least some cameos from gamer actors like those seen in Critical Role, or Will Wheaton/Felicia Day perhaps. But it shouldn't be a distraction from just getting the best possible casting, writers, directors, etc. If we have (yet another) unpopular, bad D&D movie it will be a disaster really.

If there's a big tavern scene, (which is a probability) instead of just random extras, they could have the Critical Roll guys, the Waffle Crew, Aquisitions Inc., and whoever else in costume as their adventuring parties in between campaigns, so to speak. Sort of a fantasy Mos Eisley.

Last edited by a moderator:

Valetudo

Explorer
If there's a big tavern scene, (which is a probability) instead of just random extras, they could have the Critical Roll guys, the Waffle Crew, Aquisitions Inc., and whoever else in costume as their adventuring parties in between campaigns, so to speak. Sort of a fantasy Mos Eisley.
I would rather they take the movie somewhat seriously and try to make a successful franchise. Dont get me wrong I like those guys and gals, but im thinking no, just no.

evilbob

Explorer
https://www.polygon.com/2017/12/19/16795148/dungeons-and-dragons-movie-release-date

"The D&D movie has been in some stage of pre-production since 2015..."

4 years = infinity in the movie business. None of the current people or companies attached may even still be attached in 4 years; it may not even come out in 4 years; we still may never see a D&D movie. Still, it's fun to dream. :)

As for my personal thoughts: if 2017 taught us anything I hope they don't cast a generic white guy as the lead.

hopeless

Adventurer
A decent story would help.

Have the main cast be little known but good actors able to work together and it feels natural.
For example "Legends are made not born" is a 0th level adventure when the inhabitants of a village have to organise the rescue of fellow villagers from an Ogre.

The twist is that the Ogre is under the control of an evil mage seeking to increase their own power through making a pact with a demon.

So rescuing the captives is easy enough as the Ogre stole and consumed alcohol dosed with a drug enough to knock it out for a while.

So a fairly decent adventure with an actual villain but not who you'd think it would be.

What they will come up with I hope is better than this but until they reveal who else is involved who knows?

Remove ads

Remove ads