D&D Movie/TV New D&D Movie: July 23rd 2021

It's official - the new Dungeons & Dragons movie is coming, and it's coming in four years - July 23rd, 2021, as announced by Paramount.

dungeons-and-dragons-banner.jpg

We already know that the movie will be produced by the Lego Movie's Roy Lee, that it will be directed by Rob Letterman (Goosebumps, Monsters vs. Aliens, Shark Tale). Originally scripted by David Leslie Johnson (Wrath of the Titans), it's now being written by Joe Manganelio, might be Dragonlance and then again might feature the Yawning Portal, and will adopt a Guardians of the Galaxy tone. Oh, and that we should take everything I just said with a pinch of salt as the movie appears have jumped from WB to Paramount at some point in the process!

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
This thread has gotten real weird real fast. Two things: If you are American you may have no idea how grating "made for an American audience" can be to the rest of us in the English speaking world who consume much the same stuff. And the only questionable thing in "generic white guy" is "generic" . It manages to be both (very) mildly insulting and yet implicitly perpetuates the notion of "white" as "default" .

Well, because in Hollywood, white IS the default.

Here’s a recent example: Jennifer Lawrence was cast as Katniss Everdeen, and pretty much everyone agrees she did a good job in The Hunger Games movies. However, in the books, Katniss is described as “non-white, with dark, olive skin.” Even if we accept that Lawrence was chosen for her acting abilities, that kudos is negated because minority actors were not even given a chance at the role. Lionsgate’s casting call (posted on a website run by Breakdown Services) asked for the following 4 physical characteristics (paraphrasing):

1) The candidate must be between the ages of 15-20,
2) must be Caucasian,
3) appear "underfed but strong,"
4) be "naturally pretty underneath her tomboyishness."

I don’t begrudge Ms Lawrence her successes. But while Katniss was arguably her breakthrough role, she already had a decent resume and had had a role in the MCU.

Her career trajectory was pretty good; she didn’t need an audition stacked against- no, barring- actors with a stronger resemblance to the role to be portrayed. It could have been the role of a lifetime for one of the middle-Eastern actors relegated to playing terrorists & refugees.

Last edited by a moderator:

Jokael

Explorer
I came here to find out information about the new D&D movie and all I see is a political correctness gone wild thread.

Seriously can't people just be happy that we may be getting a top notch D&D cinematic experience for once. Why are people so pent up in their own ideas that they must push them among others on social media. Dammit, I get this crap on FB and Twitter all day, I don't want to see this BS in my hobby.

Thanks for ruining this thread for new members.

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
Sorry you feel that way, but the fact is our hobby and related media are no sanctuary from real world issues. Here, at least, we can discuss these matters as “extended family” as opposed to being lectured to by outsiders.

I came here to find out information about the new D&D movie and all I see is a political correctness gone wild thread.

Seriously can't people just be happy that we may be getting a top notch D&D cinematic experience for once. Why are people so pent up in their own ideas that they must push them among others on social media. Dammit, I get this crap on FB and Twitter all day, I don't want to see this BS in my hobby.

Thanks for ruining this thread for new members.

Welcome to EnWorld. Yea, political correctness is mandatory here.

robus

Lowcountry Low Roller
Supporter
Welcome to EnWorld. Yea, political correctness is mandatory here.

Sorry, but most of us are very tired of racism, sexism, homophobia etc etc. And as such, those attitudes are not welcome here. It's not politically correct, it's being a decent person.

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
Folks, I'd like to make it clear that you might be on the wrong website if you have a problem with inclusiveness in games or movies. Please review our rules on inclusiveness, and if they're a problem for you, we understand if this isn't the place for you. But this website is not the place for people to whinge about "political correctness". There's plenty of places on the internet you can go do that, if that's your thing.

hopeless

Adventurer
The Keep on the Borderlands?

Your cast are based on refugees and staff at the Keep faced with having to solve the situation they're in!

For example if the above was turned into a movie how would you cast the party?

You don't have to use the novel they released for it by the way!

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
Slavers/Giants/Demonweb?
Elemental Evil?
Expedition to the Barrier Peaks?

Problem is, using a module would make each movie into a spoiler-fest.

Remove ads

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases