D&D Movie/TV New D&D Movie: July 23rd 2021

It's official - the new Dungeons & Dragons movie is coming, and it's coming in four years - July 23rd, 2021, as announced by Paramount.

It's official - the new Dungeons & Dragons movie is coming, and it's coming in four years - July 23rd, 2021, as announced by Paramount.

dungeons-and-dragons-banner.jpg

We already know that the movie will be produced by the Lego Movie's Roy Lee, that it will be directed by Rob Letterman (Goosebumps, Monsters vs. Aliens, Shark Tale). Originally scripted by David Leslie Johnson (Wrath of the Titans), it's now being written by Joe Manganelio, might be Dragonlance and then again might feature the Yawning Portal, and will adopt a Guardians of the Galaxy tone. Oh, and that we should take everything I just said with a pinch of salt as the movie appears have jumped from WB to Paramount at some point in the process!

Uller

Adventurer
Personally, I'd rather see a D&D TV series. Ten 45 minute episodes...start out saving a village from a band of maurading monster/brigands. Throw in some villian puppet master pulling some strings and expand from there...just like a D&D campaign. At the end of season 1 wrap up the main plot points but leave room for a second season...end of season 2 throw in some world bending events as the heroes "level up".

Sent from my [device_name] using EN World mobile app

robus

Lowcountry Low Roller
Supporter
Personally, I'd rather see a D&D TV series. Ten 45 minute episodes...start out saving a village from a band of maurading monster/brigands. Throw in some villian puppet master pulling some strings and expand from there...just like a D&D campaign. At the end of season 1 wrap up the main plot points but leave room for a second season...end of season 2 throw in some world bending events as the heroes "level up".

Absolutely agree. TV is where the interesting and developing stories happen now. And the audience can grow over time. With a movie it's got to work on the opening weekend or it's lost in the flood superhero clones. Heck get Netflix to tie it in with Stranger Things and have the kids campaign become an actual show! :)

Uller

Adventurer
Absolutely agree. TV is where the interesting and developing stories happen now. And the audience can grow over time. With a movie it's got to work on the opening weekend or it's lost in the flood superhero clones. Heck get Netflix to tie it in with Stranger Things and have the kids campaign become an actual show! :)
A netflix/amazon prime show where a group of kids or young adults are playing D&D. Most of the on screen time is on the PCs in the game world but we get to see the kids playing and narrating the action and maybr learn a little about their lives too.

That would totally justify the "Guardians of the Galaxy" vibe as the PCs make snarky comments and do unbelievable things (like get themselves swallowed by a giant monster so they can kill it from the inside).

I'd watch it...

hopeless

Adventurer
Who would you cast?

The Players
By this I mean how diverse where and why they're gaming together?
1)
2)
3)
4)
5)

Their Characters
Will there be an occasional PC death so a turnover in characters?
1)
2)
3)
4)
5)

The Game Master
Are we talking Matt Mercer or the Gamer's sort of GM?

What do you think?

Uller

Adventurer
Who would you cast?

The Players
By this I mean how diverse where and why they're gaming together?
1)
2)
3)
4)
5)

Their Characters
Will there be an occasional PC death so a turnover in characters?
1)
2)
3)
4)
5)

The Game Master
Are we talking Matt Mercer or the Gamer's sort of GM?

What do you think?

Cast unknowns.

For PCs start out with a selection from the Basic Rules...Fighter, Wizard, Rogue, Cleric and Paladin or Ranger. Human, Elf, Dwarf, Halfling, Half-Elf. But as time goes by, replace them with more exotic choices.

Character turn-over is a must. Death, swapping PCs in and out as time goes on. Take away a fan favorite for a while to let people get pissed off then return them. Rotate players in and out.

As for DM: A fictional version of Christopher Perkins, of course.

Remove ads

Remove ads