• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E New D&D WotC survey! On classes.

casters need to be worked on to make more sense, martials need to have more to do.
Yeah basically this. I hope you told them that lol.
10/10 effort.
0/10 bard.
1/10 trolling. Like c'mon man, you got us pretty good earlier! You can troll people who like Bards, but it needs a bit more zing and oomph, that magic formula that makes people start hammering the keyboard before thinking "Waaaaaait a minute, Snarf is just trying to get a rise out of me!". I look forward to a return to form on future attempts!

OR

"D- We know Snarf can do better than this, Mr and Mrs Zagyg"

Snarf Zagyg

Notorious Liquefactionist
"D- We know Snarf can do better than this, Mr and Mrs Zagyg"

Ha!

The actual quote is, "We know you can't do better than that, Snarf."
-Snarf's Parents.

I know, I kid. My parents were great. They taught me how to swim using the best method possible; they just threw me in the lake, knowing that either I could do it, or I couldn't.

Honestly, it wasn't that hard, either, once I got out of the bag.

Honestly, it wasn't that hard, either, once I got out of the bag.
The thing is I'm picturing Snarf from Thundercats receiving this treatment and I'm sort of subconsciously nodding approvingly at the behaviour of the parents (presumably one of them a Thundercat and one... an lizardperson of some kind?). This does not reflect you as a person of course!

Undrave

Legend
It is kinda weird how they're full casters but don't really have proper attack cantrips. I said earlier that I like barads being able to fight, but now the situation is that they aren't really any good at fighting with weapons, but do so anyway because they don't have proper attack cantrips.

I was musing a spirit bard a while ago (for a campaign that probably won't happen) and I imagined them as this weird gothy fortune teller with a strong death theme. I really couldn't see them fighting with a rapier, but vicious mockery didn't really seem right either. I really wish they could have some death themed attack cantrip like chill touch or toll of the death.
Wait... wait... I could swear... HOW IS TOLL THE DEAD NOT ON THE BARD'S LIST?! WTH?!? This is SO stupid! ARG!

I need to home-brew some cantrips...
The musical instrument is itself most of the problem with the Bard. Get rid of the instrument and the diversity of the class opens up. The instrument itself should be nice, not required.

Yep. I agree, I can see one musical instrument but 3-4 is a little much. I was actually considering an alternative but couldnt think of one at least not yet.
We just need weapons that can double as instruments!

Capture d’écran 2021-08-27 à 10.25.17.png

Capture d’écran 2021-08-27 à 10.26.42.png

Capture d’écran 2021-08-27 à 10.30.27.png

Capture d’écran 2021-08-27 à 10.33.13.png

Snarf Zagyg

Notorious Liquefactionist
THERE WE HAVE IT! @Snarf Zagyg LOVES BARDS NOW!

The mods can close the thread, we are done here

Interesting has a meaning, you know.

Young Snarf: Mommy, mommy! Look what I just made in art class! I made this finger painting for you!

Mother Snarf: Oh. Hmmmm. Okay.

Young Snarf: Do you like it mommy? Do you like it?

Mother Snarf: It's .... interesting. Now, get mommy her matches.

Absolutely agree with this as well (just noticed it properly), and I pulled up Necromancer for the same thing.

Necromancer is an extremely well-established fantasy archetype, across games, books (including the amazing recent Gideon the Ninth), even movies and so on. It's a person who can raise and control undead (corpses, spirits, etc.) to do their bidding - and usually they can raise quite a few of them quite quickly.

At this point, whilst I think Wizard should retain their necromancy spells and so on, I think Necromancer should actually be its own class. Worlds With Number, which is OSR-based, does this, and provides an extremely competent and well-designed Necromancer who absolutely feels like fantasy fiction Necromancer, not a crummy Wizard with slightly more death-themed spells than usual.

I've also seen multiple players over the last 15-20 years come to D&D, or even as established players, finally look at playing a Necromancer, and end up completely disappointed and not playing that because jeez. WotC just really need to look at WWN here.

And yeah in general they need to consider player expectations, not just Grog expectations. 5E was designed largely for the latter, but with 50m players, apparently most of them new, I think that needs to take a back seat.
I agree with the basic point, though I really, really don't think Necromancer should be its own class. There are already too many caster classes and their fluff keeps getting thinner and thinner. Instead there just should be wizard subclasses that are good. If they redo PHB they can do this.

Bolares

Hero
Interesting has a meaning, you know.

Young Snarf: Mommy, mommy! Look what I just made in art class! I made this finger painting for you!

Mother Snarf: Oh. Hmmmm. Okay.

Young Snarf: Do you like it mommy? Do you like it?

Mother Snarf: It's .... interesting. Now, get mommy her matches.
nah, you can backtrack all you want, we have PROOF you love bards now. @CleverNickName bardevangelized you!

Remove ads