D&D 5E New Eberron Book Details From WotC

WotC’s Jeremy Crawford appeared on Twitch last night with Bart Carroll, discussing the upcoming D&D setting book Eberron: Rising from the Last War. Lots of details within!
WotC’s Jeremy Crawford appeared on Twitch last night with Bart Carroll, discussing the upcoming D&D setting book Eberron: Rising from the Last War. Lots of details within!

ED746060-9834-4FFF-A8DB-F1B39F19E486.jpeg

- Overview of Eberron, emphasized potentials for adventure and post-WWI pulp style of setting.

- Dragonmarked Houses as fantasy Corporations, playable Dragonmarked characters as race rules in the book

- Rules and stories for playing, Warforged, Changlings, Kalsthar, Shifters, Goblins, Hobgoblins, Bugbears, Orcs. Playable Orc is different fro mthe Volo's Guide rules to reflect the different story (no intelligence malus, few other tweaks, still usable for other worlds, these are PC Orcs as opposed to Monster Manual Orcs like Volo's).

- Full rules for the Artificer, including a new feature in this book for making Common and Uncommon magic items

- Aberrant Dragonmark Feats are in the book

- Group patron rules for organizations the late 19th-early 20th century style: newspapers, criminal syndicates, universities, spy rings: fourth choice after Race-Class-Background that the party makes together, has new fluff background features to give characters and adventure hooks

- Possibility of the party becoming their own patron, example being creating your own Crime Syndicate

- All of the above is Chapter 1 material

- Chapter 2 is a Gazeeter of Korvaire and the world: delves into great nations, the religions, touches on otehr continents

- Chapter 3 is a zoom in on Sharn, a microcosm of the setting, great place for Noir intrigue

- Chapter 4 is a 100 page adventure creation toolkit comparable to Guildmaster's Guide to Ravnica: wealth of adventure building tables, maps, organization information, first level adventure set in Sharn. Reveals brand new information about the Mournland, for instance, during the war they created not just regular Warforged and Warforged Titans but also Warforged Colossi the size of skyscrapers: one of the maps is of a fallen Warfored Colossi as a dungeon @doctorbadwolf

- Section in "massive" chapter for creating adventures about Eberron's cosmology, and how it relates to Great Wheel multiverse, left to DM to decide how sealed off Eberron is by the Progenitor Dragons

- There are extended magical item economy rules in chapter 5, Common magical items are plentiful: buying, selling, crafting rules and price lists.

- Eberron specific monsters and NPCs in the sixth and final chapter, covering things like Daelkyr, Living Spells (3 different Living Spells in the book including Living Cloud Kill, and a template for making more) and various specific NPCs

JohnLynch

Explorer
Funny. What I saw upthread was quotes like this “The elves of Eberron weren’t created by the gods you may know from other settings”. Seems consistent with the previous editions.

I also see a bunch of suggestions on what GMs can homebrew on page 20. Like here’s a quote “if you do want to incorporate elements from other realms, this shield is starting to fail. Perhaps House Cannith will build a planar gateway”. More homebrew.

Call me old school but I consume my D&D via books (I have modernised somewhat and do use PDF as well). So whatever Jeremy Crawford waffled on about in some podcast has zero impact in people’s Eberron game unless you choose to homebrew it in.

If you were inspired by the homebrew suggestions in Wayfinder’s or a podcast then I’m happy for you. There is no “One True Way” coming from me :) you homebrew whatever makes you happy.

Parmandur

Book-Friend
Funny. What I saw upthread was quotes like this “The elves of Eberron weren’t created by the gods you may know from other settings”. Seems consistent with the previous editions.

I also see a bunch of suggestions on what GMs can homebrew on page 20. Like here’s a quote “if you do want to incorporate elements from other realms, this shield is starting to fail. Perhaps House Cannith will build a planar gateway”. More homebrew.

Call me old school but I consume my D&D via books (I have modernised somewhat and do use PDF as well). So whatever Jeremy Crawford waffled on about in some podcast has zero impact in people’s Eberron game unless you choose to homebrew it in.

If you were inspired by the homebrew suggestions in Wayfinder’s or a podcast then I’m happy for you. There is no “One True Way” coming from me :) you homebrew whatever makes you happy.

shrug

It is in the book, and particularly if read along with MToF makes sense.

JohnLynch

Explorer
Sure. Eberron has always had suggestions on how to use material. Pretty sure it was in the 4e ECG as well. I mean it’s pretty clearly not canon with stuff like this “Maybe Tiamat has only just discovered Eberron” because as we all know Tiamat is an Overlord trapped in Khyber in the Eberron setting.

But I hope that sort of stuff and the Greyhawk source book (planescape?) helps make your games more enjoyable for you and your group :) after all, WotC has pretty much thrown canon out the window with 5e. So no one should feel beholden to it!

Parmandur

Book-Friend
Sure. Eberron has always had suggestions on how to use material. Pretty sure it was in the 4e ECG as well. I mean it’s pretty clearly not canon with stuff like this “Maybe Tiamat has only just discovered Eberron” because as we all know Tiamat is an Overlord trapped in Khyber in the Eberron setting.

But I hope that sort of stuff and the Greyhawk source book (planescape?) helps make your games more enjoyable for you and your group :) after all, WotC has pretty much thrown canon out the window with 5e. So no one should feel beholden to it!

D&D sourcebook: distinct settings are not a thing in 5E.

JohnLynch

Explorer
From the Wayfinder’s Guide
This book brings Eberron to the fifth edition of DungEons & Dragons, providing an overview of the core themes of the setting
Sure seems like a setting to me.

From the 5e DMG
Even if you use an existing setting, such as the Forgotten Realms
Yup. Settings still seem to be a thing. But it doesn’t have to be at your table of course. No “One True Way”. Right?

Parmandur

Book-Friend
Sure, settings exist. The metasetting as described in the PHB, DMG, Volo's Guide, MToF, etc. includes all smaller settings such as Eberron or the Forgotten Realms, insofar as that goes.

By all means, enjoy using your library of books for your homebrew.

Remove ads

Remove ads