• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

New Feat: Deadly Aim

Garnfellow

Explorer
Hi, All --

One of my players proposed the following feat. Does it look OK?

Deadly Aim [General]

Prerequisite: Proficient with weapon, base attack bonus +1 or higher, Dexterity 12+.

Choose one ranged projectile weapon, such as a light crossbow or longbow.

Benefit: With the selected weapon, the character may add in the character's Dexterity modifier on all damage rolls.

Special: The extra damage from Deadly Aim does not apply to creatures immune to critical hits. The character can gain this feat multiple times. Each time the character takes the feat, it applies to a new weapon.

Mordane76

First Post
Just off the top of my head, I think this feat is already in a book somewhere, and looks almost exactly like what you've posted.

I think the Dexterity requirement should be 13+, just because most feats that require a minimum Ability score require at least 13+ to convey the sense of "eliteness."

Otherwise, I think the feat looks pretty kosher.

Forrester

First Post
You've got to be kidding!

Do you really want to make archers MORE powerful?!

This feat acts pretty much as Weapon Specialization for archers, except that instead of giving a +2 bonus, it gives +3 or +4 or +5 or +6.

That's going to be per shot.

Your player is definitely trying to get one by you here . . .

Shalewind

First Post
This argument has been done time and time again. (braces self just in case flames descend here too)

It is generally argued that Archers are capable of tremendous damage already because of their stacking magic bows and arrows. They also have a lot of attacks and their too high is high. Allowing them their awesome DEX scores to damage is also thought to over power them. (It is also possible that overpower is the reason it isn't in a core book or WoTC supplement somewhere...)

Personally I wouldn't use it. My house system allows death quick enough as is. ;)

Edit: If it is Dragon, I stand corrected. But I still think it is a bit high-power

Last edited:

Forrester

First Post
Shalewind said:
This argument has been done time and time again. (braces self just in case flames descend here too)

It is generally argued that Archers are capable of tremendous damage already because of their stacking magic bows and arrows. They also have a lot of attacks and their too high is high. Allowing them their awesome DEX scores to damage is also thought to over power them. (It is also possible that overpower is the reason it isn't in a core book or WoTC supplement somewhere...)

Personally I wouldn't use it. My house system allows death quick enough as is. ;)

Edit: If it is Dragon, I stand corrected. But I still think it is a bit high-power

The fact that it appeared in Dragon doesn't mean that it isn't still a munchkin piece of :):):):).

Questions

First Post
Man, they are running out of names... I think there is a Dead Eye feat in the mercenary guide also, but the mercenary guide dead eye is much cooler and I think fairer...

Basically, whenever you have 2 attacks (Suck as at +6 +1) if you want you can just make one attack, but get an automatic critical hit if you DO hit.

Has some hefty prerequisite on it also… In any case, I got off topic…

I don’t really see why this feat is so unfair… I mean, with the extra money archers are wasting when they shoot those magic arrows, I think it is fair that they do a little more then melee who don’t waste over 100 gold a hit for the weakest enchantment. But that is just me…

In any case, I am probably wrong as there is another feat in the mercenary guide named “expert aim” that essentially allows you to add your dex bonus to damage… IF you take a full attack action, make one attack only, your target is within 30 feet, and your target is vulnerable to critical hits… It also has a prerequisite of a feat and a +4 attack bonus… which means it, is a :):):):)load weaker then the feat you just named for more prerequisites…

Azure Trance

First Post
Found it. It was a feat in an article called "Silicon Sorcery - Asherons Call 2" with many other feats from AC2 in there. By Clifford Horowitz.

Azure Trance

First Post
You know, I never played an archer before. Well, I did this one time, he was a level 9 Arcane Archer. But I don't recall him being super-broken in any sense ... probably because it was a more 'relaxed' game. The DM was new, gave out waaay to much treasure, and pitted us against monsters which we would kill in d6 rounds or less. I feel the urge to start another one, though ... stacking magic bonuses ... *drool*

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads