• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D General New Interview with Rob Heinsoo About 4E

Status
Not open for further replies.

EzekielRaiden

Follower of the Way
But being a nerd and being socially skilled don't always go together.
You keep calling it "being a nerd." That is wrong. It is skill with magic. An active thing.

If it's just an improvement of the MAGIC related to it, why Arcana doesn't boost to hit with spells?
For the same reason that having a high Athletics or Acrobatics check doesn't make your attack rolls better. Something true of both 4e and 5e.

SteveC

Doing the best imitation of myself
But is a great example of ruling that inhibits roleplaying as stated above. Doesn't kill it but doesn't help. Or so it was perceived, and the game failed.
For a reason that is not linked to presentation or setting.

And more importantly - why is a bad thing wether for a well placed spell, or a rogue stealing something, or the fighter crit, that an encounter is quickly solved?
I think we may have a fundamentally different definition of roleplaying here. If someone took Suggestion and then wanted to use it to avoid a combat, I would have to look at that as the DM and see what that looks like. I'm going have to use the word here, but I would take a look at what this means in terms of the Fiction.

So you have a spell that lets you roll Arcana as Diplomacy and want to use it to stop a fight. Can the fight be stopped? In the example I used, it was a group of thieves who were being paid to murder us and so had a death trap house set up. So my Suggestion wasn't out of line in the DM's mind.

Honestly, if that happened to me, I'd look at what was going on, and in that situation, I'd have done a quick Skill Challenge with the thieves to see what would happen. I would just let that happen because the spell was doing something in an unusual way. It would have led to a quick discussion with different characters that might have gotten the group to learn something they wouldn't have without killing them. I think the group would have been happy either way. They would either have more knowledge if they succeeded or still had a fun battle (4E battles are, to me, the most fun combat D&D has ever had) if they failed. And in either case, they would see themselves as having more Agency in the game.

Was a change like this the reason 4E failed? I don't think so. "Combat focus" was one thing that a lot of people talked about at the time, but I don't see taking Suggestion as it was written as making the game worse, just removing an auto-win scenario.

And I get what Rob is saying about the reason for the game's failure. I think he had a point, but I largely disagree. For me, the removal or partnership with companies like Paizo and Frog God and the arrival of Pathfinder were what did it in. If you had Paizo 4E modules, Frog God old-school modules, and other companies writing rules, I don't think the game would have failed. I know that a lot of people will disagree with me, but the discussion is entirely academic.

Minigiant

Legend
Supporter
How can an arcana skill be used for diplomacy. I ask again - what happens in universe.
Because what minigiant said is not an answer BTW. If that was the case, the high skill would have boosted the hit, or nerfed a save, or whatever depending on the edition.
Also why Arcana makes the suggestion better, but no other spells? If Arcana was directly related to spell power, shouldn't be used to hit with spells in general?
What happens in universe guys? I am very confused. It almost sounds... not associated or something.
Arcana is not used to boose the attack rolls or savings because that's bad game design.

Skills were not designed to be substitute for an attack roll vs a defense or a save vs a DC.

Skills are Skill vs Skill.

Are you saying that in order to display a characters knowledge of Arcane magic they have to roll

1. A skill contest
  2. THEN an attack roll boosted by the successful skill contest
  3. THEN a saving roll vs a DC boosted by the attack roll
That's bad game design.

Kaiyanwang

Adventurer
You keep calling it "being a nerd." That is wrong. It is skill with magic. An active thing.
I am over simplifying, but not by much. Is an Int related skill used to identify magic-related stuff, recall magical info, etc. You cannot just dismiss it.
How does this help? - what happens in-universe?
Athletics and Acrobatics are not fighting skills in fact. Not every athlete is a fighter even if it could help.
The abilities related to them indeed help combat because they are also added to stats that are combat-related.
So, apples to oranges.

I'm A Banana

Potassium-Rich
My point was this:

Can you play a game without, in any way, consciously engaging with its rules?

Because picking up a die is engaging with rules. Reading a die is engaging with rules. Writing down a newly found item onto your character sheet is engaging with rules.

Nothing even remotely like this exists when listening to a person tell a story or reading a story from a book. Books and verbal storytelling are part of how we encounter all information, so there is no difference between listening to a friend recount a real event that actually happened to them and listening to a friend tell a completely fictional story. You do not have anything even like the need to interact with a rule.

Unless you believe it is possible to play a game while never even once interacting with rules as rules, it is not possible to achieve this alleged state of perfect, unquestionable Zen union with the experience. You are, of necessity, experiencing rules upon which you project a sense of meaning and value—unless, as stated, you believe that you can play a game while never once actually interacting with a single one of its rules.
Again, no one is advocating for never engaging with the rules. It's a strawman you've brought up twice now.

The point I'm making is just that it makes sense that some players would want those rules to fade into the background. That some players' goal when playing D&D is not to engage with the rules. And as a corollary, that "wanting to pretend they're not playing a game" is an entirely logical and desirable thing for these players, just as pretending you're not looking at words on a page is an entirely logical and desirable thing for people who read books.

The goal for these players is to move beyond the rules, just as the reader moves beyond the words written on the page.

The thing is: READING the rules of a game is not the same as PLAYING the game! Why should reading the rules of the game need the same level of detachment as playing it? When reading the rules, I'm not in the audience watching the play, I'm the actor reading the script.

Rulebooks should be clear and precise first before they try to enchant you with tales of a made up world. Having the rule book explaining clearly and plainly what a class was designed to do shouldn't diminish the immersion at the table.
I don't really disagree, but I would argue that a class should not be designed to do something so narrowly scoped as "defender." It isn't super relevant for a huge swath of your player base.

Yeah, having good defender mechanics in the game is a good thing, but it is not what the class is for. So it shouldn't define the design.

Meanwhile what started this tangent was class roles. Class roles have no direct mechanical effect in the game (although they do have indirect effects). Objecting to class roles isn't turning up at the play and having problems because you can see the flying rig. It's turning up at the play and objecting not even to the casting but to the casting sheet.
What started this tangent was the point that some people want to play a game without thinking too much about the game, and I pointed out that this is a valid way to engage with D&D.

The objection to roles as far as I can tell isn't an objection to having these mechanics in the game. It's an objection to strictly defining a class by these mechanics. Again, the role is not what the class is for.

It's a little like defining an actor's role by their meta-context.

"In this play you are the Antagonist, and here's some lines that help you be the Antagonist, and your job is to interfere with the Protagonist."

No, in this play I am Iago, or Mercutio, or y'know, a whole PERSON. Yeah, I might be an antagonist as well, but that's not what I'm in this experience for. I'm in it to role play. To pretend to be someone else. To imagine that I am them, to act as if I am them, to make choices in line with what they would do. The point is not to be an Antagonist, the point is to be someone else.

Undrave

Legend
Sorry but at this point I have to ask - are you doing this intentionally?
Could you please reread the original post? Thanks.
The initial answer was about framing the "rule clarity" as the perceived issue, while the issue is what and what not the rules describe. Some rules for specific spells and actions were not there, and this was probably because they did't fit the "clear" and sterile, because LIMITED IN GAMEPLAY format.
Okay I get it now.

What specifically do you feel is missing exactly?

None of the players wanted to fool with "powers". They just wanted to hit things and move along.
With all due respect, these people should not have been playing DnD. I wouldn't invite them to play Hero Quest...

Kaiyanwang

Adventurer
That's... not all it was in 4e?

The DMG expressly says to let players do small magical effects using the Arcana skill, so Arcana is straight up the ability to do magic.
So it should also help other spells, not only Suggestion. Which was over-simplified like this because any open use of spell was anathema to 4ed design.

Undrave

Legend
For one, you should explain me why being a massive nerd on dragons and outsiders makes me better at diplomacy thanks to this spell. Explain me what happens in universe, please.
You're using a magic spell to affect the disposition of a person towards you and make them agreeable to what you are saying? It's what Suggestion does except now it can't overtake a character who specializes in Diplomacy because it follows the same guidelines. You're making yourself sound more convincing through magic.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads