• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D (2024) New One D&D Playtest Shows Us The New Druid & Paladin

WotC has released the fourth One D&D playtest document. This 29-page PDF includes the druid and the paladin with Circle of the Moon and Oath of Devotion subclasses. Druid. The Druid class and Circle of the Moon subclass are ready for playtesting here. Paladin. The Paladin class and Oath of Devotion subclass are ready for playtesting here. Feats. Several revised feats appear here for your...

WotC has released the fourth One D&D playtest document. This 29-page PDF includes the druid and the paladin with Circle of the Moon and Oath of Devotion subclasses.

Screen Shot 2023-02-23 at 3.49.37 PM.png

Druid. The Druid class and Circle of the Moon subclass are ready for playtesting here.

Paladin. The Paladin class and Oath of Devotion subclass are ready for playtesting here.

Feats. Several revised feats appear here for your feedback, with more revised feats coming in future articles.

Spells. More spells are ready for playtesting, with a focus on smite spells, Find Familiar, and Find Steed.

Rules Glossary. The rules glossary has been updated again and supersedes the glossary in previous Unearthed Arcana articles. In this document, any underlined term in the body text appears in that glossary, which defines game terms that have been clarified or redefined for this playtest or that don’t appear in the 2014 Player’s Handbook.

Maybe I'm wrong. Maybe there are tons of groups out there that are using Plane Shift routinely. But, I'm very, very much willing to take that bet. I find it endlessly baffling that people are so resistant to the idea that there are things in the PHB that aren't really seeing the light of day and probably should get pushed out in favor of stuff that actually MIGHT get used at the table.

But, hey, tradition for the win I guess. :erm:
there is no such thing as useing a 5th+ level spell (7th in this case I think) spell routinly... more then 60% of campaigns end by 10th and after that more and mroe end per level... getting to where you can cast 1 plane shift in the entire campaign is rare

OB1

Jedi Master
Plane Shift was used regularly by the druid in my last campaign in Tier IV. My high level campaigns tend to have a lot of plot threads that lead towards the planes. It seems weird to me that the spell was removed from druids, there's not enough people who play high level that I imagine niche protection is a big concern here (and I don't generally like niche protection as a goal for class design anyhow). Same with Heroes Feast.

As for the Wildshape Templates, I'd rather see them get rid of the familiar, and instead, provide the old school Wildshape option at level 2. Would be fine with a rule there that when you shift into an actual beast, it starts with 1/2 it's recommended HP (min 1), to emphasize the Utility of that form.

UngainlyTitan

Legend
Supporter
Do you think he has a cotingiency in case of a TPK?
I am doubt it. A tpk is easier to handle than a near tpk that leaves a couple of survivors with no way to recover the bodies.
With a tpk you can roll the time line forward and start again.
In a steaming show reconstituting a high level party the the audience has not been invested in is a harder sell.
Though he got very close to a tpk in the last battle with Raishan. The feeblemind was very clutch.

Micah Sweet

Level Up & OSR Enthusiast
So, basically, it's a spell that tells the DM, "Sorry, we don't want to do whatever it is you've got planned. We want you to create adventures on the fly because we want to randomly jump to various planes for ... reasons."

Yeah, not a surprise I've never seen it used. Again, sorry, but, how often have you seen it used? I'll more than willing to bet dollars to donuts that it's almost never used as a travel spell by players. It's one of those vestigial spells that gets kept in the game, not because it's actually used by players, but, because it's not annoying enough to take out.

Maybe I'm wrong. Maybe there are tons of groups out there that are using Plane Shift routinely. But, I'm very, very much willing to take that bet. I find it endlessly baffling that people are so resistant to the idea that there are things in the PHB that aren't really seeing the light of day and probably should get pushed out in favor of stuff that actually MIGHT get used at the table.

Does leaving it in hurt the game somehow? Obviously, as you say, I'm not speaking for myself. But cutting stuff out of a game because you don't see a good enough reason to keep it doesn't seem right to me.

So, basically, it's a spell that tells the DM, "Sorry, we don't want to do whatever it is you've got planned. We want you to create adventures on the fly because we want to randomly jump to various planes for ... reasons."

Yeah, not a surprise I've never seen it used. Again, sorry, but, how often have you seen it used? I'll more than willing to bet dollars to donuts that it's almost never used as a travel spell by players. It's one of those vestigial spells that gets kept in the game, not because it's actually used by players, but, because it's not annoying enough to take out.

Your questions lack perspicacity. Maybe realize the problems you have arent universal to the game, and that features or spells your groups dont use may have a purpose for others instead of making crap hypotherical stand in arguments.

Pauln6

Hero
Eh, if you are just talking cutting travel time, other spells do that.

Teleport is more effective, cutting time to potentially minutes.

Wind Walk can give you basically free travel at a pace of 240 to 300 miles a day at minimum (argument can be made that you could travel 480 to 600 miles a day). That is taking a normal 6 month journey to two weeks (a week if you take the higher values)

Phantom Steed can even allow you to massively cut time spent traveling. You can easily get 7 hours of travel on the steed, which is 70 to 91 miles a day. If you decide to fast travel on the steeds, compared to normal marching, you've reduced the time of a 6 month journey to a month and a half. This is for no spells and is available at level 5

Plane shift for fast travel just... doesn't make sense to me.
Well, we play in Greyhawk, where magic is a bit more low key. Teleport circles are only available in a handful of large cities, and are expensive - not much use in the wilderness. Our most powerful wizard can cast only one fifth level spell, and only our tome warlock casts Phantom Steed as a ritual, not much use for group travel. Thus it falls to the cleric with his Plane Shift.

Last edited:

JiffyPopTart

Bree-Yark

It's a single spell that opens up a ton of possibilities for players and GMs alike. I'm not seeing how eliminating it to add one different spell is going to add an equal amount of value.

And, for what it's worth, my campaign is exactly focused o what the players want to do. If they decided "We want to go see what's on Plane X" then that's the "adventure".

They plane shifted a total of six times during the campaign. Twice to visit and return from pocket dimensions that were plot relevant and once to scout out the situation on an outer plane because they were going to have to go up against a crazy diety.

In the past I had a character with a magic item that gave them access to a pocket dimension giant library. They had Planar Travel as a spell to allow access if they lost the key.

Shadowedeyes

Adventurer
Of all the full casters, I do think druids make the most sense thematically to not have Plane Shift, as they seem the most focused on the material plane. There are of course some connections elsewhere that pop up in the class (Feywild mostly).

As for if they NEED Plane Shift? Probably not. Plenty of classes don't have access to it, so it's not something the Druid cannot do without. Should they have lost it? I dunno.

So
Of all the full casters, I do think druids make the most sense thematically to not have Plane Shift, as they seem the most focused on the material plane. There are of course some connections elsewhere that pop up in the class (Feywild mostly).

As for if they NEED Plane Shift? Probably not. Plenty of classes don't have access to it, so it's not something the Druid cannot do without. Should they have lost it? I dunno.

They also focus not just in the Feywild, but on the Inner Planes as well. Spore Druids Shadowfell as well. I support the Primal Spell list getting Planeshift as well.

Stalker0

Legend
So

They also focus not just in the Feywild, but on the Inner Planes as well. Spore Druids Shadowfell as well. I support the Primal Spell list getting Planeshift as well.
Frankly all spellcasters should get planeshift, as again you want that availability to high level parties. You already require a caster, no reason to also require specific X caster.

Remove ads

Remove ads