• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D (2024) New One D&D Weapons Table Shows 'Mastery' Traits

The weapons table from the upcoming Unearthed Arcana playtest for One D&D has made its way onto the internet via Indestructoboy on Twitter, and reveals some new mechanics. The mastery traits include Nick, Slow, Puncture, Flex, Cleave, Topple, Graze, and Push. These traits are accessible by the warrior classes.

The weapons table from the upcoming Unearthed Arcana playtest for One D&D has made its way onto the internet via Indestructoboy on Twitter, and reveals some new mechanics. The mastery traits include Nick, Slow, Puncture, Flex, Cleave, Topple, Graze, and Push. These traits are accessible by the warrior classes.

96C48DD0-E29F-4661-95F8-B4D55E5AC925.jpeg

Pauln6

Hero
Only available to warrior classes... as we didn't have enough of level 1 fighter multiclass already...
It is not inherently silly to have a different opinion.
It is just not the hill I would die on...

IMHO the whole HP and attack thing is so abstract, that DoaM mechanics are not out of place at all.
If they use an exclusive list for action surge I.e. no casting or spell attacks then dips might go down. They could tweak class features for eldritch knights to allow it specifically at higher levels, they don't have many spells so it might not be an issue at lower levels but multiclassing with full casters might tip the balance I suppose.

The only thing to do on a hill is enjoy the view!

Eubani

Legend
Keeping in mind that HP equates to many factors such as will, morale, stamina, luck, divine favor, armor absorbing impact, skill, and so many more factors. So on a roll that misses that is described as not contacting the target as some of you are saying you see as a "miss" it can burn some of the above equating to a loss of HP. Eg on an attack that the defender avoids he had to work hard to avoid the attack (stamina burnt which can equal HP) or Luckily avoided the blow (Luck can = HP). A Miss can still be described to of caused HP damage for a lower amount than a "Hit" would of easily if you keep in mind that HP are a broard abstract concept.

Pauln6

Hero
No thanks, too small a cost to mitigate damage. Opponents do not use reaction often enough to be a worthwhile cost.
A dungeommaster isn't obliged to use it every time or for every opponent and opportunity attacks can come up for non melee characters fairly often. Still, this is a suggestion for people who don't like DoaM conceptually so they would still have the choice of this or nothing...

A dungeommaster isn't obliged to use it every time or for every opponent and opportunity attacks can come up for non melee characters fairly often. Still, this is a suggestion for people who don't like DoaM conceptually so they would still have the choice of this or nothing...
This is not a half bad idea actually. Give up battlefield control to prevent a few points of damage seems like a nice tradeoff. I might implement that as a houserule.

Eubani

Legend
Nick is useless for Fighters as they so rarely use bonus actions, I imagine as the designers likes to share the Fighters lunch with other classes will find a way for Rangers and Rogues to get this.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads