• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D (2024) New One D&D Weapons Table Shows 'Mastery' Traits

The weapons table from the upcoming Unearthed Arcana playtest for One D&D has made its way onto the internet via Indestructoboy on Twitter, and reveals some new mechanics. The mastery traits include Nick, Slow, Puncture, Flex, Cleave, Topple, Graze, and Push. These traits are accessible by the warrior classes.

The weapons table from the upcoming Unearthed Arcana playtest for One D&D has made its way onto the internet via Indestructoboy on Twitter, and reveals some new mechanics. The mastery traits include Nick, Slow, Puncture, Flex, Cleave, Topple, Graze, and Push. These traits are accessible by the warrior classes.

96C48DD0-E29F-4661-95F8-B4D55E5AC925.jpeg

Minigiant

Legend
Supporter
Which is fine except it completely runs aground once poisoned weapons enter the picture.

My character could be at fully healthy at 85 h.p. and take 1 point damage from a snake bite...but if that snake is venomous I gotta save against that venom, which means that snake had to physically injure me in order to inject the venom and thus force that save.
I think one of the big issues is a lot of peopple want all hits to be contact hits and all misses to be not contact misses.

But since D&D abstracts all of the combat into 2 rolls: an attack roll and damage roll. D&D dials down it all and rolls everything together.

A true simulation of combat would roll through or compare each layer that adds toAC
  1. Your Best AC 10
  2. Your Dumb Luck
  3. Your Armor
  4. Your Shields
  5. Your Easy Dodge
  6. Your Hard Dodge (uses stamina)
  7. Your Easy Weapon Parry
  8. Your Hard Weapon Parry (uses stamina)
  9. The Incoming Weapon Attack's Cleanness
You could easily stick combat into a computer and make it each attack 10 rolls.

UngainlyTitan

Legend
Supporter
Oh, I don’t think people aren’t familiar with legendary heroes leveling mountains with a sword stroke. It’s just that’s not necessarily the fantasy we want to play for our D&D. It’s a bit more satisfying playing the Aragorns, Boromirs, Gimlis, and Odysseuss than Hercules. It’s why everyone roots for Batman when he fights with Superman. He’s cooler, far more skilled (to the point of modestly superhuman), but he’s WAY more relatable than someone born extremely superior because his old man is a god or he‘s basically got the power of one himself.
Why does that justify preventing those that want to play CuChullan, Finn MacCool, Fergus MacRoigh, or Hercules or Gilgamesh from doing so?

Minigiant

Legend
Supporter
Oh, I don’t think people aren’t familiar with legendary heroes leveling mountains with a sword stroke. It’s just that’s not necessarily the fantasy we want to play for our D&D. It’s a bit more satisfying playing the Aragorns, Boromirs, Gimlis, and Odysseuss than Hercules. It’s why everyone roots for Batman when he fights with Superman. He’s cooler, far more skilled (to the point of modestly superhuman), but he’s WAY more relatable than someone born extremely superior because his old man is a god or he‘s basically got the power of one himself.
Levels and Tiers.

Gimli is Tier 2
Kenshin is Tier 3.
Hercules is Tier 4

One of the core issues with D&D is that the community disagrees on what tier 3and 4 looks like and the designers are too scared to make a decision.

Even these masteries. They look like Tier 2 stuff

Azzy

ᚳᚣᚾᛖᚹᚢᛚᚠ
BECMI had weapon mastery. 2e had combat maneuvers. 3e/3.5e had combat maneuvers. 4e had whatever its martial exploits(?).

5e needs to step up. This is a good move, but it's not enough.

Azzy

ᚳᚣᚾᛖᚹᚢᛚᚠ
Other people may have different objections for different reasons, but that's mine. I have thematic problems with some of high-level D&D, but Fighters who could pull off feats like Beowulf, Cu Chulainn or any one of a number of Greek Demigods is not one of them.
And yet 2e calls them out as examples of fighters:

2e PHB said:
The fighter is a warrior, an expert in weapons and, if he is clever, tactics and strategy. There are many famous fighters from legend: Hercules, Perseus, Hiawatha, Beowulf, Siegfried, Cuchulain, Little John, Tristan, and Sinbad. History is crowded with great generals and warriors: El Cid, Hannibal, Alexander the Great, Charlemagne, Spartacus, Richard the Lionheart, and Belisarius. Your fighter could be modeled after any of these, or he could be unique. A visit to your local library can uncover many heroic fighters

It's about time that the Fighter class should live up to that.

I never liked DOAM with weapons. I can see this is going to be a touchy subject. Hopefully it gets substituted with something everyone can agree on.

Pauln6

Hero
Fighter Lv1 the laws of reality are what they are. Fighter Lv6 the laws of reality are guidelines. Fighter Lv11 the laws of reality are merely suggestions. Fighter Lv16 the laws of reality are someone else's problem.
In large parts of the world, the laws of reality are ALWAYS someone else's problem.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads