New Rise of Skywalker trailer

ccs

41st lv DM
They’re playing the long game. You’ll watch it.

Maybe. But if I do - before it hits Disney+ - that means i'll have pirated it. (Though theres the question of why I'd bother pirating something I won't enjoy....)

See, other than the 1st 1/2 of #7 & R1 ive not been impressed by the current batch of SW movies. This doesnt look to change my opinion, so they won't be making any $ off of me theatre wise for this one.

Once it hits Disney+? Then I guess you could argue that I'm technically paying for it.
In the same way I'm paying for the stuff I don't watch on Netflix/Prime. So subscription fee spread over how much content? At a fraction of a penny I guess I'll watch it at some point (inbetween Marvel series :))

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
True, which unless I misunderstood the term "fake out" I was mainly saying that yes it's in the final movie.

'Fake out' doesn't mean it's not in the movie. It means what we saw is out of context and deliberately designed to give an impression different to the events of the movie. 2-seconds of footage could be in any context.

'Fake out' doesn't mean it's not in the movie. It means what we saw is out of context and deliberately designed to give an impression different to the events of the movie. 2-seconds of footage could be in any context.
I understood it to mean that it was a deliberate misdirection - that the scene will have a much different meaning when taken in context.

Then I simply took it as "missing trailer scene" shrug

Mercurius

Legend
All this trailer did was make me want to watch ANH/ESB/RotJ again.

Yeah, I got a bit of that too. What I found striking is how even in this trailer, there is a palpable sense of just how more "mythically resonant" the original trilogy is than everything made after, which all feel like vain attempts to re-capture past glory - to varying degrees of success (or failure).

doctorbadwolf

Heretic of The Seventh Circle
Yeah, I got a bit of that too. What I found striking is how even in this trailer, there is a palpable sense of just how more "mythically resonant" the original trilogy is than everything made after, which all feel like vain attempts to re-capture past glory - to varying degrees of success (or failure).
Didn’t get that at all from the trailer, much less at a “palpable” degree.

Mercurius

Legend
Naw. I am sure that it is real, and this film will end with Rey looking out at the audience and saying, "See? Women are evil. And have cooties and can't be heroes. Star Wars is safe to watch again."

First of all, I highly doubt that Disney will pander to the worst of the online trolls.

Secondly, Leia was (and is) a hero, she just didn't out-dude all the dude heroes. She was a hero in a less violence-centered way, which makes sense considering the physical differences between men and women. In that sense, I like her more than Rey, who is a bit too pandering to the crowd who want to believe that women can do everything men can do, but better.

I like Rey, but where Leia is a complex character with depth and nuance, Rey is, well, a bit of a Mary Sue. I know that upsets people, but I don't think it is inherently sexist to say so. I don't think she's a total Mary Sue, but she is definitely on the spectrum. I don't have a problem with it for a variety of reasons, not least of which being that it is good to see strong female leads that don't lead with their sexuality, and as a father of two girls I'm always glad for them to see women front and center in films. But whereas Luke was filled with self-doubt and temptations of the dark side, so far Rey seems lacking in any kind of character weakness. Where Luke had to develop his skills over time, with many trials and errors, Rey was somewhat of a skilled fighter pilot and fully-formed Jedi Master from the start.

All of which brings me back to the clip - and makes that last bit intriguing. I'm worried it is a gimmick, doing it just to do it - which could be the final nail in the creative death of the franchise. But maybe it is also their attempt to bring greater depth to Rey, or maybe another version of power corrupts - even strong females (e.g. Daenarys or Jean Grey).

Remove ads