New Rise of Skywalker trailer

cmad1977

Hero
It's also a problem with Kylo. Rewatched TFA and Kylo and Rey both had a great intro duction. However Kylo loses at the end if the movie and gets called Darth Whiney or Emo.

Sure he got wounded but remember Vader soaking a blaster bolt?

Throw in Kylo going back and forth, and he is not even established as a great character.

To make him different to Vader he should have used the for e to dodge Chewies bolt, defeated Rey (she survives) but maybe she wounds him. They follow up Snokes line about training him. Vader's a tank, make Kylo more like a Leopard or Tiger. Something like the T-800 vs T-1000.

Have Kylo kill Han in front of Leia or Leia plus Rey. At some point also have the 3 OT characters reunite before you kill one off.

Finn actually regresses as a character as well.

If the writers don't care about the characters why should we? The main problem apparently was very little collaboration in the writing of the two movies hence Finn essentially having the same character development arc twice.

Vader was more machine than man. I mean... that’s explicitly told to the audience in the very FIRST movie. Of course he took a blaster shot.

Zardnaar

Legend
Vader was more machine than man. I mean... that’s explicitly told to the audience in the very FIRST movie. Of course he took a blaster shot.

He used the force to negate it.

Kylo doesn't have the same physical presence but he looked good at the start of the movie.

If they gave the OT heroes as reunion, had he killed Han in front of Leia, avoided Chewies bolt using the force and smacked Rey down (she survives) he would have looked like an evil badass and established him as a major threat.

Write him different than Vader, sleek, agile, prescience, intelligent.

In part 2 they met again after Rey is trained by Luke, it's inconclusive Reys powerful, Kylos not as good as Vader gets more training from Snoke.

In part 3 I bet people would be long up to see Kylo get his butt kicked by Rey.

Makes a bit more sense established Rey and Kylo as characters you care about?

billd91

Not your screen monkey (he/him)
If they gave the OT heroes as reunion, had he killed Han in front of Leia, avoided Chewies bolt using the force and smacked Rey down (she survives) he would have looked like an evil badass and established him as a major threat.

Except for the fact that Chewie actually shooting Kylo is a stronger emotional element overall. Imagine how often Chewie must have carried Ben Solo on his back or shoulders, back when times were happier. And then he has to shoot to try to kill him.
No, blocking it would not only have diffused the emotion, it would have been a trite retread of what we have already seen.

Zardnaar

Legend
Except for the fact that Chewie actually shooting Kylo is a stronger emotional element overall. Imagine how often Chewie must have carried Ben Solo on his back or shoulders, back when times were happier. And then he has to shoot to try to kill him.
No, blocking it would not only have diffused the emotion, it would have been a trite retread of what we have already seen.

Maybe but we don't know that for sure. We do know about Han and Leia's relationship and they had a kid as well.

All they had to do was use the OT characters to get the new ones over and pass the torch.

They tried that in the wrong way by undermining the old ones while kind of failing to pass the torch. I suppose they ham fisted it by literally passing the lightsaber and blaster. Subtle as brick in face, just make Han a dead beat dad and revert his character development in the OT.

If I was writing it I would have had a female Jedi lead, killed off Han but I would have given the OT characters a reunion, a somewhat happy ending, and used Hand death to get Kylo over.

Same thing with Luke, if you kill him off do it in the 3rd movie.

Having a plan whatever the story was going to be would also help.

Hussar

Legend
Wow. Did I just make a mistake. I clicked that first link and then read the comments. Yikes. I personally love this one: "A Mary Sue turning evil and it is blamed on fans? SJWars can really get fun sometimes. "

That pretty much sums up my view of a certain branch of the fandom that I would rather just took a long walk off a short pier because, AFAIC, they're not welcome in the fandom.

I don't know quite what to say about this trailer... but there are some visual things that I like. The fight between Rey and Kylo Ren with that ocean all around them. Looks like they might be fighting on top of the remains of the Death Star. I'm also loving Rey's dark look, and it makes sense to have her fight with a staff-type lightsaber.
I see a short shot of another super weapon being fired, which just raises all sorts of questions. Are we getting yet another Death Star/Starkiller? Or perhaps a ship with a super weapon? Is the dark Rey we see at the end the Rey we're familiar with, or perhaps a twin sister, or some kind of illusion? No doubt the trailer is misdirecting us.

Zardnaar

Legend
I don't know quite what to say about this trailer... but there are some visual things that I like. The fight between Rey and Kylo Ren with that ocean all around them. Looks like they might be fighting on top of the remains of the Death Star. I'm also loving Rey's dark look, and it makes sense to have her fight with a staff-type lightsaber.
I see a short shot of another super weapon being fired, which just raises all sorts of questions. Are we getting yet another Death Star/Starkiller? Or perhaps a ship with a super weapon? Is the dark Rey we see at the end the Rey we're familiar with, or perhaps a twin sister, or some kind of illusion? No doubt the trailer is misdirecting us.

The superlasers appear to be in the bottom of the Star Destroyers.

They're classic Star destroyers at least in shape with red trim.

I think they're ISDs I vs ISDIIs from ESB.

You get a very brief look at the bottom of the ISDs and they have a big cannon where the launch bay is iirc.

It's right before the red superlasers hits the ground. The fleets also at least 3 times the size of the Endor Fleet.

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
He used the force to negate it.

If we are talking about the meeting on Bespin, then I have to agree, yes. Vader uses a force power, and takes the blaster bolt right in the palm of his hand, which I am sure is not what Han was aiming at.

Makes a bit more sense established Rey and Kylo as characters you care about?

We have already had the major, imposing, nigh-unbeatable dark force user as an antagonist. Unfortunately, in Eps 1-3 they botched Anakin's journey into darkness. So, now these movies have to do the job - demonstrating that the dark side has its roots in human foibles.

Zardnaar

Legend
If we are talking about the meeting on Bespin, then I have to agree, yes. Vader uses a force power, and takes the blaster bolt right in the palm of his hand, which I am sure is not what Han was aiming at.

We have already had the major, imposing, nigh-unbeatable dark force user as an antagonist. Unfortunately, in Eps 1-3 they botched Anakin's journey into darkness. So, now these movies have to do the job - demonstrating that the dark side has its roots in human foibles.

I wouldn't have Kylo as unbeatable, Rey would fight him to a draw in part 2 maybe drawing on the dark side.

Part 3 She smacks him down or you have a double turn and he smacks her down.

Make it a bit different from the others.

Remove ads