D&D 5E New Statblocks for D&D's Kobolds

The weekend's streaming events at WotC revealed two Kobold-related things! First, they get a new alignment-free stat block; and second, there's a fan-made stablock for Three Kobolds In A Trenchcoat illustration. The stat block is an unofficial one from Reddit user TamLin123. On the official front, the site Venturebeat heard from WotC about races other than orcs, and recent discussions...

The weekend's streaming events at WotC revealed two Kobold-related things! First, they get a new alignment-free stat block; and second, there's a fan-made stablock for Three Kobolds In A Trenchcoat illustration.

The stat block is an unofficial one from Reddit user TamLin123.

3koboldstrenchcoat.jpg

On the official front, the site Venturebeat heard from WotC about races other than orcs, and recent discussions about changes to orcs and other previously evil races, and got the following reply:

“Orcs are not prevalent in the adventure, but Rime of the Frostmaiden does feature other creatures that are currently defined in the game as humanoids. Some cleave to a particular alignment, while others defy expectation. We’re of a mind that humanoid creatures, going forward, shouldn’t have prescribed alignments; alignment belongs to each individual. To that end, there’s a new kobold stat block in Rime of the Frostmaiden that identifies the creature as a humanoid of any alignment, which is a departure from the kobolds in the Monster Manual”.

Retreater

Legend
The "succeed on two DC 10 Dexterity saves" - wouldn't it be better to just say "roll DC 10 with disadvantage?" The mechanic is already there.

doctorbadwolf

Heretic of The Seventh Circle
“Rime of the Frostmaiden does feature other creatures that are currently defined in the game as humanoids.”

Sounds like some creatures will probably be getting a type change so they can continue having fixed alignments. In particular, I’m guessing gnolls are going to be Fiends now :/
I think they explicitly said elsewhere that some Gnolls will be fiends, while Gnolls like the ones in Eberron will be humanoids and this able to be of any alignment.
4E did that,
No, it didn’t. 4e literally has alignment mechanics.

What saved alignment in D&D was all those memes where they compare or put something in the 9 alignments. Like that one about Toilet Paper, where putting the end of the roll on the inside makes one Lawful Evil.

JiffyPopTart

Bree-Yark
I like how the statblock is written in plural, indicating there might be more than one "3 kobolds in a trenchcoat" in the game world. Perhaps there is an entire secret society of them lead by one Vincent Adultman.

Weiley31

Legend
We still need that Lawful Evil Baron to still be Lawful Evil.

We still need Azarr Kul to be whatever alignment he was. Never played Red Hand of Doom

We still need Lolth's Drow to be Chaotic Evil and vicious.

We still need the Hobgoblins to be Lawful Evil because their Martial tendencies are ingrained into them Klingon style.

The main difference? There is always the potential for a Drizzit, a Deekin or a Samurai Jack/Lone Wolf and Cub style Hobgoblin, or whatever to buck the trend and not be quite like the others. To overcome the adversities set against then and to go against type.

Or sometimes, your just three Kobolds in a Trenchcoat. With the lead Kobold in that grouping being part Dragonborn.

But Chaotic Good NEVER goes outta style.

Last edited:

Weiley31

Legend
Gnolls will be fiends, while Gnolls like the ones in Eberron will be humanoids and this able to be of any alignment
Gnolls that worship Yeenoghu are Chaotic Evil fiends/demon blooded humanoids with 5E lore. Gnolls that reject Yeenoghu are still demon blooded humanoids with 4E+Eberron lore+Alignment combined to represent that rejection.

Retreater

Legend
My games haven't actively used alignment in years. Just like I don't use bonds, inspiration, or backgrounds (aside from the skill bonuses). Roleplay is what happens during the game - I don't care what's written on the character sheet.

Orcslayer78

Explorer
You and I apparently have very different definitions of fantasy! "sci-fi with magic instead than laser guns"???!??? :ROFLMAO:

(There's a reason those books are boxed up in my basement, rather than out on my shelves next to N.K. Jemisin and Nnedi Okorafor and Avatar: The Last Airbender graphic novels or that the only non-5e D&D books not in storage are Planescape and Eberron!)

Planescape and Eberron,exactly what I was speaking about, sci-fi with magic instead than laser guns :alien::alien:

It's a fan creation.

And try Call of Cthulhu with a better GM.
Try Dead of Night, in fact.
Some things are irredeemably evil (demons) and something are so dangerous we think them evil (virus) and others just put us in great danger with no thought we see them as evil( Vikings , Conquistadors).

Last edited:

dwayne

Adventurer
This is cool concept for a small creature, also this.....................................................

Common Man by John Conlee with words altered by Me Dwayne

I'm just a common orc, live a common life
Why do we gotta disagree
If they get their say, it won't stay that way
'Cause high-browed people lose their sanity
And a common orc is what I'll be

It is how we play, born that way.
So give our out look back you, we don't offenz
And there's some common ogers that I hang out with
They're my bad time buddies, they're my friends

And I'd rather chug-a-lug a mug of old orcs head Beer
Than sip a glass of elven wine