D&D 5E New take on why expertise dice is a bad mecanic

ZombieRoboNinja

First Post
This is actually the exact same problem the wizard had, just in the opposite direction. Rather than being ALL DAILY, Expertise Dice are ALL AT-WILL.

The solution: modular mechanics.

Expertise Dice are an "always at-will" ability, and so they'll be balanced on that metric. But you should be able to ditch Expertise Dice and grab you some...I dunno....Endurance Points that recharge when you take a short rest rather than in the middle of a fight.

Or whatever.

That's great, but you realize at that point you're writing up entirely separate classes, right? The ED fighter will have almost completely different powers and mechanics from the endurance fighter. And an at-will caster needs completely different spells and mechanics than a Vancian wizard (see: 3.5e warlock). Giving out all those options for every class at least doubles the work (and page count) required, which may not be practical.

Jeff Carlsen

Adventurer
I don't have a problem with the expertise dice mechanic being used across multiple martial classes, as long as two things are done to individualize those classes:
  • Different and unique maneuver lists
  • Different methods to access expertise dice
The first seems obvious, but I would like to point out that I would, personally, prefer there to be zero overlap. Slippery slope, and all that. A maneuver is either fighter, rogue, or monk. Not fighter and rogue, or monk and paladin, or whatever.

The second is something that I'm finding more and more appealing, especially since the concept can apply to the spellcasting classes and their different spellcasting mechanics, as well.
  • Fighters can use their expertise dice every round
  • Rogues must have advantage to use their expertise dice every round
  • Monks have a "ki pool" of points as a daily resource they can expend on expertise dice.

Enough to keep the classes unique, but able to use the same underlying mechanic.

I agree with the sentiment, but disagree slightly with the execution. Classes should all access their expertise dice in the same way, but they should augment particular maneuvers in individual ways.

Lets take the rogue and sneak attack. Sneak attack is a situational maneuver. In theory any class could have it and it should work exactly the same way. But, the rogue with the right scheme should have a class feature that augments sneak attack, perhaps my making it easier to score a critical hit, or by maximizing the expertise dice rolled.

The concept is similar to the Wizard's signature spell.

The advantage of this approach is that it makes multi-classing significantly easier to handle. A Fighter 3/Rogue 3 will have the same number of expertise dice as a level 6 fighter, but their ability to augment maneuvers will be split between the two classes.

Leatherhead

Possibly a Idiot.
Why? Because nothing can be better then attacking someone and spamming deadly strike that's why.

I disagree completely. Of course something can be situationaly better than pure damage. But it's only going to happen SOMETIMES. That's the key that I feel was never covered by encounter powers, despite the fact encounter powers would have been the perfect pace for situational powers.

Encounter powers were never truly situational, because:
In 4.0 it's very easy, you just did a monk encounter power, you shifted your move toward the enemy and kicked him for twice your normal damage + a special effect.
They were always strictly better than your "normal" at-will attack. Meaning you used them every encounter, rain or shine, even if it doesn't quite make thematic sense. Which I consider to be the actual definition of spamming moves.

CroBob

First Post
On the other hand, first off, there are believability problems for a lot of people with limits on martial powers. If the monk can do a crazy high-damage power kick, why DOESN'T he do it every round? You can make up a bunch of ad-hoc justifications (his legs get tired, enemies are prepared the second time, etc), but that gets old for some people.

Wait... It doesn't make sense that the Monk can only do Death Kick once per encounter, but the wizard forgetting how to cast his Death Burnination until he's taken a break, or even sleeps for a night, does?!

High fantasy adventuring is something we need to worry about believability in the first place?! We're not asking how any of these people can do any of this stuff in the first place! Hell, we've got gods that care enough about the world that they give people divine powers... with arbitrary limits based on length of time or day... but we don't wonder why the gods don't just take care of it themselves, or send an angel, or something?

How does believability break down when a Fighter can only pull off some fantastic maneuver once a fight?!

We can't just say it's a limit on the Fighter's spiritual energy, like the Monk's ki, or whatever? I mean, if magic explains it for wizards and clerics, why can't it explain it for the Fighter? I don't mean arcane or divine energy specifically, but fighters can't have their own sort of ki or spirit or whatever?

More importantly (for me), this also takes a lot of tactical planning out of the CHARACTER'S hands and puts it in the PLAYER'S hands. It seems rather absurd to say, "My character knows that he can only Death Kick once per day and it's only the first encounter since we rested, so he'll save it." This is annoying for some people who like to play out their actions based purely on the character's motivations.
Then does it make sense when the wizard's player says "My character knows that he can only Death Burnination once per day and it's only the first encounter since we rested, so he'll save it."?

Why are we compartmentalizing? What argument against the fighter only being able to do something once per fight or day doesn't also apply to the wizard only being able to do something once per fight or day?

Last edited:

Chris_Nightwing

First Post
Why are we compartmentalizing? What argument against the fighter only being able to do something once per fight or day doesn't also apply to the wizard only being able to do something once per fight or day?

We have a real world model for physical combat, and in reality you can try to perform complex physical tricks more than once per day. You could try to perform them every six seconds, but again, in reality these tricks are tiring and sometimes require a degree of concentration. So, if you want a process simulation, such that you can decide what your character does based on in-world cues, you don't want to limit the use of physical abilities by encounter or day, but make them always available, or consume some sort of energy which does need time to recover.

We don't have a real world model for magic. The closest, and I think the reason why magic was originally limited by day, is complex mental tasks. We cannot perform complex mental tasks all day, we need to rest at night, and without that rest we cannot perform at our best. However, you could really have any set of rules to govern magic you like, since it's magic, and it may or may not be tiring. Again, so long as the rules are consistent, you can make a decision based on your character's in-world knowledge of how magic works. However, I think it would be difficult to construct a coherent world around a system in which all magic was at-will: the economics require that the creation and manipulation of forces has to cost something, be it personal energy that you regain by resting or rare spell components or whatever.

I also think that clerical magic particularly lends itself to daily renewal, as religious services are traditionally cued by times of the day. Indeed, if you worship a sun god then you would pray to that god each morning to receive your strength. As to why the gods grant spells rather than send angels to do everything: that's an epistemeological matter. If you want 'real' gods then you need some rules in place for characters to matter in the first place, and the D&D tradition is that they cannot directly interfere with the world, or they choose not to in a mutual pact. That said, you could have, and I would be thrilled to see, a system where prayers were granted on the basis of performing duties for one's god: whether that be on a short-term basis (I healed someone, the lifegiver is pleased and heals me in return) or more longer-term (I brought a criminal to justice, the justiciar will grant me additional power from now on).

Last edited:

ren1999

First Post
Expertise dice are basically an at-will ressource but limited by round. I argue that you cannot have cool stuff using a system that is purely at-will and I look at what they give us in this package and that's a pretty big confirmation in that regard.

I have a problem with expertise dice just because it takes as long as an extra standard action. But here is something I really love about it. I really love the idea of taking a reaction out of turn, just one reaction. And I think that Parry and Protect are awesome and I don't want those things to go away. We could keep things like that and ditch the XD, if we have to.

I have extensively play tested the idea of letting characters have two main actions and two off-hand actions at higher levels, and it is very similar to what fighter maneuvers do. The XD is just a way to get people who hate extra actions per turn to go along with it. Extra actions also makes 4th edition style combinations possible. For example, Feint then Attack.

CroBob

First Post
We have a real world model for physical combat, and in reality you can try to perform complex physical tricks more than once per day. You could try to perform them every six seconds, but again, in reality these tricks are tiring and sometimes require a degree of concentration. So, if you want a process simulation, such that you can decide what your character does based on in-world cues, you don't want to limit the use of physical abilities by encounter or day, but make them always available, or consume some sort of energy which does need time to recover.

D&D is not a simulation of real world combat. Nice try, but if D&D were modeled on real world combat, then there wouldn't be Hit Points, there'd be You Got Stabbed in the Guts Points, where you lose the ability to continue fighting, since you need at least one arm to hold your intestines inside while you try to not black out. And you'd get a horrible infection even if someone does stitch you up, and you die anyway. Don't try to claim D&D is an attempt at modeling real life. It's absurd. D&D is fantasy, and fantasy is full of fantastic heroes, not heroes who are limited by real world biology, physics, or even common sense. Whoever plays D&D because it's an accurate model of real life? You know, that's why I watch Super Hero movies, because Thor and Captain America are so very realistic.

We don't have a real world model for magic. The closest, and I think the reason why magic was originally limited by day, is complex mental tasks. We cannot perform complex mental tasks all day, we need to rest at night, and without that rest we cannot perform at our best. However, you could really have any set of rules to govern magic you like, since it's magic, and it may or may not be tiring. Again, so long as the rules are consistent, you can make a decision based on your character's in-world knowledge of how magic works. However, I think it would be difficult to construct a coherent world around a system in which all magic was at-will: the economics require that the creation and manipulation of forces has to cost something, be it personal energy that you regain by resting or rare spell components or whatever.

We can't do complex physical tasks all day either. We're talking about circa six seconds of your day. Once you've solved a particular linear equation (which would probably take longer than 6 seconds, but you're super practiced at this stuff), that's it? You can't solve that problem any more until the next morning? You're not, in fact, more fresh on how that problem's done, making it easier to do again, but the exact opposite? I'm not trying to claim limited physical maneuvers do make sense, I'm simply pointing out that they make just as much sense as limited magical maneuvers.

Chris_Nightwing

First Post
D&D is not a simulation of real world combat. Nice try, but if D&D were modeled on real world combat, then there wouldn't be Hit Points, there'd be You Got Stabbed in the Guts Points, where you lose the ability to continue fighting, since you need at least one arm to hold your intestines inside while you try to not black out. And you'd get a horrible infection even if someone does stitch you up, and you die anyway. Don't try to claim D&D is an attempt at modeling real life. It's absurd. D&D is fantasy, and fantasy is full of fantastic heroes, not heroes who are limited by real world biology, physics, or even common sense. Whoever plays D&D because it's an accurate model of real life? You know, that's why I watch Super Hero movies, because Thor and Captain America are so very realistic.

I'll try to get around the dripping sarcasm and reply to this. Yes, D&D combat is not an accurate representation of real world combat due to the abstract nature of things such as hit points and a single attack roll per round. However, it is a false dichotomy to say that we must either abstract everything or simulate everything precisely. There is a sliding scale of detail, and it can be the case that to simulate one process more accurately requires a level of complexity that isn't worth the trade-off.

I have in the past worked in creating stochastic models of biological systems. It is absurd to think that you have to model every detail of a living cell in order to get something meaningful out of a model of a specific system within that cell. It is also the case that ignoring certain details will give you results that are meaningless. There is a balance to be found in determining which processes you model in detail. I understand that you prefer your game to be more like an action or super-hero movie, but some of us place value on process simulation, and being able to make a decision in-character that does obey the rules of physics and common-sense. I would argue that D&D has always tried to obey those rules for physical combat, with 4th edition taking a step back to framing those rules in the metagame.

We can't do complex physical tasks all day either. We're talking about circa six seconds of your day. Once you've solved a particular linear equation (which would probably take longer than 6 seconds, but you're super practiced at this stuff), that's it? You can't solve that problem any more until the next morning? You're not, in fact, more fresh on how that problem's done, making it easier to do again, but the exact opposite? I'm not trying to claim limited physical maneuvers do make sense, I'm simply pointing out that they make just as much sense as limited magical maneuvers.

The original fiction for wizardly spellcasting was that they literally had to memorize the spell in order to then cast it later in the day. This got modified into preparing the spell in order to cast it later in the day, and then became unclear. The rules of magic, as I said, might have been based on the idea that you can only memorize so much at once. If you think of it like preparing for an exam, you have some limited capacity to keep all the information in your head, and after the exam is over, more often than not, you actively relax and feel mentally drained. There are only so many exams you can prepare for in a single day.

Now I'm not saying that magic has to follow this, just that this is where that particular point of view was probably coming from. Magic is magic and can follow any rules you choose. I will repeat though, that for those of us that like more sandbox games, more process simulation, it really helps if the ability to use magic is limited in some way in order to construct a coherent world.

So, for some of us, there is good reason to model physical combat and magic differently, and thus to limit their use differently.

CroBob

First Post
I'll try to get around the dripping sarcasm and reply to this. Yes, D&D combat is not an accurate representation of real world combat due to the abstract nature of things such as hit points and a single attack roll per round. However, it is a false dichotomy to say that we must either abstract everything or simulate everything precisely. There is a sliding scale of detail, and it can be the case that to simulate one process more accurately requires a level of complexity that isn't worth the trade-off.

"Dripping"! I presumed I was splashing people!

Anyway, back to serious time; I never said that everything done in D&D must be super-fantastical and be at the very edge of our ability to imagine it. All I'm saying is that limiting physical maneuvers by a certain number per combat or day makes exactly as much sense as limiting magical powers the same way. We could limit either through the same mechanics, and it would make just as much sense. We could say that you can't use more than 10 complex physical maneuvers or magical spells per day or else the nether beasts will eat your brain. What's more important in the end, though, believable combat mechanics, or balance?

I have in the past worked in creating stochastic models of biological systems. It is absurd to think that you have to model every detail of a living cell in order to get something meaningful out of a model of a specific system within that cell. It is also the case that ignoring certain details will give you results that are meaningless. There is a balance to be found in determining which processes you model in detail. I understand that you prefer your game to be more like an action or super-hero movie, but some of us place value on process simulation, and being able to make a decision in-character that does obey the rules of physics and common-sense. I would argue that D&D has always tried to obey those rules for physical combat, with 4th edition taking a step back to framing those rules in the metagame.

The rules of physics and common sense is internal to the game world. I once ran a game where the entirety of known land was actually a huge series of floating islands above a vast ocean. Within the game world, that's simply how the world worked. Nothing about it broke the laws of physics in that world. So if, in the world you live in, it's common that people only have the mental focus or ki energy, or whatever, for one of a particular sort of maneuver before refocusing or resting, then that's just how the world works. Same thing with when magic works that way. It may not make sense in our world, but it's not our world. Obviously it's not... Magic is testament to that. If we limit what martial characters can do based on real world physics, then how can we expect them to keep up with the people who don't have to worry about real world physics? The only way we can do it is by arbitrarily limiting the latter, such with the nonsensical per encounter or day or whatever.

The original fiction for wizardly spellcasting was that they literally had to memorize the spell in order to then cast it later in the day. This got modified into preparing the spell in order to cast it later in the day, and then became unclear. The rules of magic, as I said, might have been based on the idea that you can only memorize so much at once. If you think of it like preparing for an exam, you have some limited capacity to keep all the information in your head, and after the exam is over, more often than not, you actively relax and feel mentally drained. There are only so many exams you can prepare for in a single day.

There are only so many people you can stab each day before you get too tired to keep doing that, too. Once nobody's around who you need to stab, you relax from that, too. What's your point, here? I understand where what the ideas for magic have been, I'm more interested in moving into a system that's good, that does not give the undue advantages to the people with the magic. If magical heroes and non-magical heroes are going to be equal, then either non-magical heroes need to defy physics anyway, or magic has to be nerfed to the point it doesn't really do much physics defying.

Now I'm not saying that magic has to follow this, just that this is where that particular point of view was probably coming from. Magic is magic and can follow any rules you choose. I will repeat though, that for those of us that like more sandbox games, more process simulation, it really helps if the ability to use magic is limited in some way in order to construct a coherent world.

I agree that magic should be limited. I agree that everything should be limited. However, magic is magic. How is it okay for someone to fling fire at their enemies through some gestures and magic words and then forget how he just did that, but it's not acceptable for a dude to super-kick another dude and then forget how he did it? You could say that magic is just limited that way in order to balance it, and in-game that's just how the world works... and you can do that with martial abilities, too.

So, for some of us, there is good reason to model physical combat and magic differently, and thus to limit their use differently.

Yes, and for some of us, there isn't. It's all based on subjective tastes. Martial combat in D&D is absolutely unlike martial combat in real life as it is, though, so I don't understand the desire for this particular limitation. I mean... why draw the line there, instead of somewhere else? Why is that super unbelievable, but, say, entering into a rage where you don't die until you're out of the rage regardless how much damage you take while in it is? How is sneak attack realistic? When you're in combat, you're already aiming for the weak points, so why do only rogues do extra damage when they get a nice shot at them? What makes that realistic?

Remove ads