• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Unearthed Arcana New UA: 43 D&D Class Feature Variants

The latest Unearthed Arcana is a big 13-page document! “Every character class in D&D has features, and every class gets one or more class feature variants in today’s Unearthed Arcana! These variants replace or enhance a class’s normal features, giving you new ways to enjoy your character’s class.”

The latest Unearthed Arcana is a big 13-page document! “Every character class in D&D has features, and every class gets one or more class feature variants in today’s Unearthed Arcana! These variants replace or enhance a class’s normal features, giving you new ways to enjoy your character’s class.”

B080A4DE-6E00-44A2-9047-F53CB302EA6D.png

RSIxidor

Adventurer
At level 4 take "Weapon Master" feat and take the unarmed fighting style.

Or dip fighter.

Punchy Barbarian should be a thing without optional rules like feats and multiclassing, I think. (Yes, I realize the entire UA is offering optional rules, but they very well could be integrated in a PHB2-type book.)

And the Weapon Master feat doesn't give access to a fighting style. Are you looking at something like Giger's 5E?

Garthanos

Arcadian Knight
It was one of the bits of 4E that worked really well, interestingly.
I think it could have gone further (I am custom making a class feature that converts the monk to full controller). Though flexibility of character design which is what this generally accomplishes was available through both feats and power selection too.

BookBarbarian

Expert Long Rester
Alright I've thought about it and an alternative to Brutal Critical is probably where I would have the base Barbarian get something neat. Something active instead of passive.

Edit: Perhaps in place of each Brutal critical, some new thing that enhances a rage.

So you would end up with 3 Rage variations that you can choose from whenever you rage.

More edit: even something as simple as: Option one at level 9, for the duration of the Rage a bonus to AC equal to the Rage damage bonus. Option 2 at level 13, double bonus damage from Rage. Option 3 at level 17, for the duration of the Rage any saving throw the Barbarian is forced to make is treated as a Strength saving throw.

Maybe those are too powerful.

Last edited:

I like the idea of the spell versatility for bard, sorcerer (especially), and warlock. However, I think it should reset your spell list to your defaults after a long rest (or "lasts until you complete a long rest" as it would be written) so it gives you one flexible spell per day, rather than the ability to respec your character with a few days notice. Limiting them to 5th level spells or less also seems like a good idea. Letting the Battle Master switch a maneuver should also reset after a long rest.

Even if it were done that way, it feels like wizard still needs something to keep its versatility up. I'd suggest an enhancement to Arcane Recovery that allows them to switch one of their prepared spells when they use Arcane Recovery.

Ashrym

Legend
I like the idea of the spell versatility for bard, sorcerer (especially), and warlock. However, I think it should reset your spell list to your defaults after a long rest (or "lasts until you complete a long rest" as it would be written) so it gives you one flexible spell per day, rather than the ability to respec your character with a few days notice. Limiting them to 5th level spells or less also seems like a good idea. Letting the Battle Master switch a maneuver should also reset after a long rest.

Even if it were done that way, it feels like wizard still needs something to keep its versatility up. I'd suggest an enhancement to Arcane Recovery that allows them to switch one of their prepared spells when they use Arcane Recovery.
Limiting spell versatility to 5th level spells or less seems like a solid idea.

Xeviat

Hero
For changing up the Beast of Earth, charge is comparable to pounce and a few other features. These two are showing that charge and flyby are roughly equivalent. Making the pet more like a different animal would be pretty easy.

I'm excited to see AIM, as I suggested basically the same thing on these very boards. Especially with the no movement rule, this is perfectly balanced and makes it so TWFing isn't the only optio n for rogues.

The new beast master rules and favored enemy doubly make me want to implement my revised TWFing along with a Hunter's Mark change (to bonus damage once per round on a hit instead of each attack, so it's easier to balance).

For all the free spellcastings, they left out the usual (as an X level spell) ruling. Is there a standard rule that spells are cast at the lowest level if not stated?

The paladin/cleric channel divinity for a 1st level spell is problematic at lower levels.

MonkeezOnFire

Adventurer
Is the Paladin not a popular powerful class that needs no fix?

It got cool new fighting styles, spells, and a buff to Channel Divinity. Which all seem more useful, powerful, and fun to me than the Barbarian options.

Edit: and in the case of the Barbarian I would have been happy with useful and fun with no power increase
Clearly the paladin and the cleric are colluding to power each other up. Cleric gets smite spells. Paladin gets Spirit Guardians. Eventually they'll just merge into a super class that has full progression spell casting, all armour and weapon proficiencies, extra attack, smites, and the ability to ask the DM to just take it easy on you this session.

NotAYakk

Legend
Punchy Barbarian should be a thing without optional rules like feats and multiclassing, I think. (Yes, I realize the entire UA is offering optional rules, but they very well could be integrated in a PHB2-type book.)

And the Weapon Master feat doesn't give access to a fighting style. Are you looking at something like Giger's 5E?
Yes, that is what I get for googling it and trusting it. :)

Remove ads

Remove ads