• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Unearthed Arcana New UA: 43 D&D Class Feature Variants

The latest Unearthed Arcana is a big 13-page document! “Every character class in D&D has features, and every class gets one or more class feature variants in today’s Unearthed Arcana! These variants replace or enhance a class’s normal features, giving you new ways to enjoy your character’s class.”

The latest Unearthed Arcana is a big 13-page document! “Every character class in D&D has features, and every class gets one or more class feature variants in today’s Unearthed Arcana! These variants replace or enhance a class’s normal features, giving you new ways to enjoy your character’s class.”

B080A4DE-6E00-44A2-9047-F53CB302EA6D.png

Parmandur

Book-Friend
Well you can put a 1 in that column because my table didn't already allow thrown weapons to work that way outside of Two Weapon fighting where you could throw two weapons in a round.

Thrown weapons were terrible because you couldn't use them with extra attack and their damage is usually only a d6. Now that fighters can freely attack with thrown weapons and also two weapon fight and get that +1 to damage which brings the damage up to roughly equivalent to d8 it seems like just as viable a build as any other option.

Especially for Champions who can get Thrown weapons and two-weapon fighting. Dual wielder and you're attacking 2-3 times a round with +1 AC and +1 damage on the attacks. Seems like a fun character build to me.

It's a highly specific character concept, but it is a valid narrative concept. Now supported by the rules!

Garthanos

Arcadian Knight
I mean, there are non-spellcasters listed in the document, too. Swapping spells overnight is powerful, but it's not that powerful. It's primary purpose is not punishing bad choices, with some benefit given to extremely narrow purpose-specific spells. Now you can pick up water breathing when you find out you need to go underwater in the next dungeon, for example. You're also limited to spells of the same level, which is a more significant limitation than it first appears.
I thought it was so you could be outfitted for battle one day and take off the all bulky magical equipage and be perfect for social arenas when you go in town. :/

Salthorae

Imperial Mountain Dew Taster
I really like how the ranger is now a tougher, more mobile, more skilled generalist.

Yeah, the ranger stuff in here is money.

Balance-wise, I think they need to probably either remove the "remove exhaustion" portion of Tireless or put a "Ranger level 6th" pre-req on it to avoid dipping.

I also think the Roving should be split into two options. Each granting +5' movement and a new movement mode. Getting both a climb speed and a swim speed at 1st level is pretty good. A wood elf ranger would start the game with a 40' Climb, Land, Swim speed.

BookBarbarian

Expert Long Rester
Yeah, the ranger stuff in here is money.

Balance-wise, I think they need to probably either remove the "remove exhaustion" portion of Tireless or put a "Ranger level 6th" pre-req on it to avoid dipping.

I also think the Roving should be split into two options. Each granting +5' movement and a new movement mode. Getting both a climb speed and a swim speed at 1st level is pretty good. A wood elf ranger would start the game with a 40' Climb, Land, Swim speed.
I could see getting the THP, 5ft move speed, and one skill at level one, then remove exhaustion and climb or swim at 6, then the other climb/swim and one more skill at 10

Salthorae

Imperial Mountain Dew Taster
I could see getting the THP, 5ft move speed, and one skill at level one, then remove exhaustion and climb or swim at 6, then the other climb/swim and one more skill at 10
Yeah, it depends on if these are just the first three Deft Explorer options they're thinking of or if this is it.

IF they're planning to have more, a la invocations, but that is just focused on movement/exploration/hardiness then doing it that way won't work as well as how they have them right now thematically grouped I think.

if they are going to just have these three then splitting them up as you suggest could/would/should work well.

I just think two movement speeds and +5' movement is a lot and removing exhaustion at 1st level is going to invite Berserker build dips too much. Regardless of what you think of berserker, Tireless makes it a viable Path for Barbarians now.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads