Unearthed Arcana New UA: 43 D&D Class Feature Variants

The latest Unearthed Arcana is a big 13-page document! “Every character class in D&D has features, and every class gets one or more class feature variants in today’s Unearthed Arcana! These variants replace or enhance a class’s normal features, giving you new ways to enjoy your character’s class.”

B080A4DE-6E00-44A2-9047-F53CB302EA6D.png

Last edited:

cbwjm

Seb-wejem
Some excellent ideas here, I like that ranger and paladin can use their fighting style to pick up cantrips instead. I already allow switching out spells (mainly if the player feels like they aren't really getting any use out of it). The new fighting styles are pretty cool, I've been trying to figure out a good style for throwing and I don't think it occurred to me that you couldn't draw a weapon as part of the attack when throwing weapons.

tetrasodium

Legend
Supporter
Epic
I really like the new options. There are some very eberronyish feeling shifts with bein able to shift skills/cantrips & the barbarian options really fit with it having acual education systems & such in place. I wish that the wizard cantrip shift was onRest rather than onLevel like everyone else's though, the spellbook is supposed to grant that kind of flexibility.

Undrave

Legend
Some excellent ideas here, I like that ranger and paladin can use their fighting style to pick up cantrips instead. I already allow switching out spells (mainly if the player feels like they aren't really getting any use out of it). The new fighting styles are pretty cool, I've been trying to figure out a good style for throwing and I don't think it occurred to me that you couldn't draw a weapon as part of the attack when throwing weapons.

You can draw a weapon but that's only once per turn so I think this is meant to be every time?

Sacrosanct

Legend
You can draw a weapon but that's only once per turn so I think this is meant to be every time?

my interpretation was that you can draw as many weapons as you have attacks. So a fifth level dual wielding fighter could draw and throw three daggers (2 normal plus bonus offhand weapon), all with an additional +1 damage.

Jay Verkuilen

Grand Master of Artificial Flowers
It's only ONE spell per day so this will mostly be use for more niche spells. Like in my party where our main caster is a Warlock and we could REALLY use a Sending spell to contact our home base, but it's not worth keeping it on the Warlock for a long time.
Yes, I agree. My guess is that this isn't something that'd be used a ton either. As you say, for niche spells.

Undrave

Legend
Yes, I agree. My guess is that this isn't something that'd be used a ton either. As you say, for niche spells.

I don't know anyone who even considers changing all their spells on a day to day basis anyway.

I know my Druid had a default load out ready, plus a few secondary choices I kept in mind in case of specific situations and some I never even considered preparing.

Jay Verkuilen

Grand Master of Artificial Flowers
1. A lot of the Versatility options are things I already offer as a DM. Being able to retrain when you realize that some things aren't working is important. But I like having them in print.
I'm not playing AL but I bet the fact that these (or some version anyway) are likely to become official will help people who have more rules restrictions. I also agree about there being a decent aspect to it being semi-official or official. Some groups' social contract really restricts things to being "official." (In some cases this is due to seriously crazy things back in the D20 glut days.)

Expanded Spell Lists: Still no Shapechange for Sorcerers? 😡 Aside from that, these are solid expansions, and I have no major quibbles.
There are a number I think should have been added. For example, those feat tax invocations that let a Warlock cast iconic spells like Polymorph or Bane seem like things that should simply been on the class' list in the first place. Bards having access to both Bless and Bane also make sense, assuming these represent the bard singing either praises or insults. Still no Bless (without Magical Secrets, anyway).

Remove ads

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases