Unearthed Arcana New UA: 43 D&D Class Feature Variants

The latest Unearthed Arcana is a big 13-page document! “Every character class in D&D has features, and every class gets one or more class feature variants in today’s Unearthed Arcana! These variants replace or enhance a class’s normal features, giving you new ways to enjoy your character’s class.”

The latest Unearthed Arcana is a big 13-page document! “Every character class in D&D has features, and every class gets one or more class feature variants in today’s Unearthed Arcana! These variants replace or enhance a class’s normal features, giving you new ways to enjoy your character’s class.”

B080A4DE-6E00-44A2-9047-F53CB302EA6D.png

Chaosmancer

Legend
It would be exactly like AD&D. Casters did just fine there. Better than fine, in fact.

And as for archers, boo hoo, that's all I have to say to them.

Within a completely different ruleset and completely different paradigm of casting? Yes, I imagine they would have done very differently than they would now.

And, really? boo hoo? That doesn't exactly make it sound like you are worried about the impact of your rule changes and more that you want to stick it to an archetype you don't like. If that's the case, I guess go ahead, but I was just pointing out that this could have unintended consequences

Within a completely different ruleset and completely different paradigm of casting? Yes, I imagine they would have done very differently than they would now.
A ruleset where melee characters were still allowed to move and make all their attacks as they do in 5e. If melee characters rushing down spellcasters wasn't a problem in AD&D with similar so-called "issues" of caster mobility (and it wasn't if the spellcaster was played at all competently), then it wouldn't be in 5e, either.

And, really? boo hoo? That doesn't exactly make it sound like you are worried about the impact of your rule changes and more that you want to stick it to an archetype you don't like. If that's the case, I guess go ahead, but I was just pointing out that this could have unintended consequences
No, boo-hoo because ranged combat is too dominant over melee in 5e as it is, and full movement on the same turn as ranged attacks and spells is a large part of why.

Last edited:

A ruleset where melee characters were still allowed to move and make all their attacks as they do in 5e. If melee characters rushing down spellcasters wasn't a problem in AD&D with similar so-called "issues" of caster mobility (and it wasn't if the spellcaster was played at all competently), then it wouldn't be in 5e, either.

No, boo-hoo because ranged combat is too dominant over melee in 5e as it is, and full movement on the same turn as ranged attacks and spells is a large part of that.
Wait wait. Ok. Serious rules question. You can do full movement and cast a spell in the same turn? Full movement as in a character with base speed of 30 can go 60 in a round without sprinting or hustling AND cast a spell? I ask because i may have been unnecessarily handicapping things. Please explain how this wouod work.

Chaosmancer

Legend
Wait wait. Ok. Serious rules question. You can do full movement and cast a spell in the same turn? Full movement as in a character with base speed of 30 can go 60 in a round without sprinting or hustling AND cast a spell? I ask because i may have been unnecessarily handicapping things. Please explain how this wouod work.

If you are talking 5e RAW, no.

A spellcaster can go 30 ft (their full movement) and cast a spell, but moving 60 requires taking the Dash action.

I have no idea what the ruleset was like in AD&D since I never played it.

CleverNickName

Limit Break Dancing
"Full movement" means to move your base speed. You have to use your action to Dash to move up to your base speed again. Casting a spell is usually an action, but some spells can be cast as a Bonus action or Reaction.

So it is possible to move your full movement rate and cast a spell as an Action.

It is also possible to move your full movement, Dash to move your full movement again, and cast a spell as a Bonus action.

If you are talking 5e RAW, no.

A spellcaster can go 30 ft (their full movement) and cast a spell, but moving 60 requires taking the Dash action.

I have no idea what the ruleset was like in AD&D since I never played it.
Oh. Yeah. Sorry. Thought this was a 5e thread (i misread something somewhere probably. Dyslexia is a bitch). Im sorry. I was talking about 5e.

Remove ads

Remove ads