D&D (2024) New Wild Shape

Remathilis

Legend
4: you like to use a variety of shapes to adapt to different situations.

I'm still fine with a general stat block. But sometimes I want high speed and pounce to chase down a fleeing target, sometimes I want web to split a group of enemies, sometimes I want poison to give a boss disadvantage on attacks, sometimes I want to be a giant armored crab who can grapple, sometimes I want to push creatures off a cliff.

I'm fine with a general stat block. But it needs extra flexibility. Especially for the moon druid.
This is where I'm at. If you give me a few extra options that I can pick from (like poison, grapple/constrict, pounce, webs, etc) then I feel I can live with one statblock to rule them all.

A large amount of the summon spells in Tasha already gives one stat-block with a couple different configurations. I think that might be a good way to do this.

Clint_L

Hero
I am curious - for those unhappy that the hulk megatank build for druids are gone - How would you feel if that was instead moved to the barbarian class, as an upgraded totem warrior/beast subclass? That is you are locked down to a single animal, not having the versatility of the druid. However you get the full flavor and versatility of your chosen animal along with the base barbarian rage buffs.

The reason I ask is that I do recognize this as a pretty cool playstyle, it just seem to belong with the barbarian. That is the class that is supposed to have bursts of extreme martial power.

I have seen noone talking about how this is fiting the traditional flavor of druid in folklore - except for pointing out that transforming to small animals is sort of a standard.

It is the traditional flavour of druids in RPGs, and I don't see it as a barbarian thing at all. I don't think the change will go through as currently framed, since it is already receiving heavy criticism. And I don't think it is at all fair to tell players that the way they have played their character for years would require them to re-roll as a totally different class.

The numbers need massaging at low levels, but the basic play style of druid tanking is fun and unique, and should not be removed from the game.

TheSword

Legend
yeah I don't get why the HP buffer went away... especially when you have preset stats you could just give each form a number of hp
Because it’s a joke. The Druid getting 2-5 times as many hp than the fighter with a couple of wild shapes makes a mockery of combat at low levels and the low AC makes it pointless at high levels at which Point the Druid becomes a lame horse.

Tiny wildshape particularly impacts non-combat challenges - where the Druid becomes the perfect spy/scout as long as they are on their own. The whole class is a party unity nightmare.

A serious rethink is needed.

I don’t think the unearthed arcana is the finished article but it’s a good starting point.

Suggestion: allow tiny scouting, but not automatic succeed at it.

When spotted by another creature, you can make a Wisdom (Nature) check against their passive insight. If you succeed, they assume you are a normal animal and will generally pay you no mind, allowing you to sneak past or scout.
Unnatrial behavior that brings attention to yourself, such a mouse grabbing a key, will instantly cause alarm. And cooks may still chase a mouse out of a kitchen.

Also, druids should have expertise in nature.
I believe they can, with a feat.

Because it’s a joke. The Druid getting 2-5 times as many hp than the fighter with a couple of wild shapes makes a mockery of combat at low levels and the low AC makes it pointless at high levels at which Point the Druid becomes a lame horse.
im sorry but there is no point in combat wildshape as per this playtest... if each form got 5x your druid level in hp and when they hit 0 you revert to your form with extra damage rolling over it would be fine
A serious rethink is needed.

I don’t think the unearthed arcana is the finished article but it’s a good starting point.
on this we agree

TheSword

Legend
im sorry but there is no point in combat wildshape as per this playtest... if each form got 5x your druid level in hp and when they hit 0 you revert to your form with extra damage rolling over it would be fine

on this we agree
Wild shape grants a 1d8+wisdom damage attack. A 10’ increase in speed, darkvision, gains keen senses, at fifth level you’re getting multi-attack even though the Druid doesn’t normally get multi-attack and a 40’ climb speed.

Hardly no reason.

The problem is the drop in AC that’s what harms this Druid in combat. The ability should give the Druid AC 10 + Wis bonus + Dex bonus. Plus any magic improvements to AC.

I’d also like to see some wild spells that can be used in wild shape and improve wildshape combat ability - magic attacks, bite etc

mellored

Legend
I see you 5HP per level
and raise you 3 THP per level, still using your regular hit points.

mellored

Legend
I normally agree with a lot you say, but just no. Barbarians have 2 more HP/level and no spells. Fighters have 1 more HP/level.
Fighters can have 20+ AC and still a 1d8 weapon. Barbarians have rage that effectively doubles their HP.

Wild shape gets 14 AC.

Not quite the same, and definitely needs something more to be in the front lines.

Remove ads