• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Niblet (Tiny Fey)

alice_of_ebony

First Post
Hiya

Would you count this as an LA +0 race?

Niblet (Tiny Fey)
Speed: 20 ft.
Special Qualities: low-light vision, spell-like abilities
Abilities: Str -8, Dex +4, Int +4, Wis -2, Cha -4
(Str -8, Dex +4, Con -2 from size alone)
=> Con +2, Int +4, Wis -2, Cha -4

Favored class: Rogue
Level Adjustment: +0
Languages: Common, Sylvan. Bonus: Elf, Gnome, Centaur

spell-like abilities: dancing lights, mage hand as 3rd level sorceror, 1/day
racial skill bonuses: Listen, Search, Spot +2
racial bonus feats: Dodge, Weapon Finesse
Proficient with simple weapons

Cheers
Alice

Rystil Arden

First Post
No. This race is already such a powerful rogue from its other abilities that giving them the rogue-favoured Weapon Finesse feat for free when a first level human rogue can't even take the feat at all is rubbing salt in the wound. Not to mention the fey type throwing off a bunch of person spells and the total of +4 to AC and attack rolls and +10 to Hide that these lil guys get--and the walking speed of a Size Small character.

I'd say they're definitely LA +1.

alice_of_ebony

First Post
Hmmm. How about this?

Tiny Humanoid (goblinoid)
*–8 Strength, +4 Dexterity, +4 Intelligence, –2 Wisdom, –4 Charisma.
*Tiny size: +2 bonus to Armor Class, +2 bonus on attack rolls, +8 bonus on Hide checks, –8 penalty on grapple checks, lifting and carrying limits 1/2 those of Medium characters.
*base land speed is 20 feet
*low-light vision.
*Racial Skills: +2 racial bonus on Listen, Search and Spot checks.
*Racial Feats: Dodge, Weapon Finesse
*Special Qualities: fire vulnerability (+50% damage from fire)
*Automatic Languages: Common, Sylvan. Bonus Languages: Elf, Gnome, Centaur.
*Favored Class: Rogue.
*Level adjustment +0.

Most Tiny critters have a land speed of 20 feet. Very few have less.
Most Tiny critters also have Weapon Finesse.

Cheers
Alice

Rystil Arden

First Post
Most Tiny critters also have Weapon Finesse.
Yes, but that doesn't mean its fair to make it LA +0, as I haven't seen any Tiny races that are.

Anyways, your edited version, based on a few recent overpowered LA +0 specimens, is probably now a strong LA +0, with the following reservation:

The character gains a bunch of extremely useful bonuses for Rogues (and even Wizards, really) which they pay for by sacrificing a whole bunch of things they don't care about, which, while it does achieve a power balance, will cause a sort of edge-of-the-pin effect where the race is extremely overpowered in some situations and then very weak in others, thus the balance (unless they are getting busted by fire or grapples and that they don't want a social rogue, why would anyone want to play a halfling rogue instead of a niblet rogue? Now what about a human rogue, which gets less feats and less skills. And let's not talk about wizards, who are having a field day turning themselves to size Diminutive for even more AC, losing the stats they don't care about for Int and Dex) However, this is not a sort of balance that I like in my games, though your mileage may vary.

Bront

The man with the probe
I would drop the con bonus, the int bonus down to +2, and remove the Cha -. Also, get rid of both bonus feats.

Given those changes, they work well as a fey race. I think. A little more cutting edge towards rogue or Wizard, but not excessively at that point (No more than a grey elf)

Rystil Arden

First Post
Bront said:
I would drop the con bonus, the int bonus down to +2, and remove the Cha -. Also, get rid of both bonus feats.

Given those changes, they work well as a fey race. I think. A little more cutting edge towards rogue or Wizard, but not excessively at that point (No more than a grey elf)
I agree that Bront's version is also balanced, and in a less tense way. Still has a potential to be very strong with the Dex and Size bonuses, but at least now they'll have to pay for the privilege of Weapon Finesse like everyone else.

By the way, I guess I must have somehow missed that Simple Weapon Proficiency last time around, but why bother? It basically only helps wizards because most of the others have them all.

Kid Charlemagne

I am the Very Model of a Modern Moderator
GreatLemur said:
Setting aside questions of balance--which, really, I'm no good with--why the Christ would you call them Niblets?

All I gotta say, is that a Fey called a niblet should really fight in packs like piranhas.

Nifft

Penguin Herder
Int +2, LA +0? SIGN MY WIZARD UP!

What, they have a walk speed of 5 ft.? Uh, Wizards don't walk after level 9...

-- N

Rystil Arden

First Post
Nifft said:
Int +2, LA +0? SIGN MY WIZARD UP!

What, they have a walk speed of 5 ft.? Uh, Wizards don't walk after level 9...

-- N
Heehee, why not give it Int +6, size diminutive, and walk speed of 0 feet? Just get someone else to carry you :D

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads