D&D 5E No Forgotten Realms Campaign Setting in development?

HobbitFan

Explorer
I appreciate that Mike Mearls posted the clarification.

I think Kamaikazi Midget might be onto something with the notion that in 5E settings will be handled differently.
Maybe once all the core books are out, we'll start to hear something on WOTC's plans.

Lack of information, I think, contributed in part to the unfortunate over-reaction earlier in the thread.

Henry

Autoexreginated
Guess this saves me from writing a letter. ROFL... Okay... lesson of the day... Don't overreact to tweets... 140 characters isn't enough...

Thanks Mike for clearing that up.

Edit: I am also passing this around on other boards.. the least I can do...

They need a new slogan:

TWITTER: Proudly fostering misunderstandings since 2006!

Scrivener of Doom

Adventurer
Glad to see Mike Mearls came down to clarify things.

Mind you, this happened frequently during the playtest period. He often made statements that were easily misinterpreted or simply incorrect and then Rodney Thompson, typically, would come along and calm things down with an appropriate clarification.

So, I don't think this is a Twitter moment... but I am starting to think it's carefully designed to gauge the opinions of the fanbase on a topic.

tuxgeo

Adventurer
Replying to myself again. . . .

Re: paucity of information: They're saving it for Saturday night, I guess.

DMs have been advised to keep a four-hour block available tomorrow night (i.e. Saturday, 16th August 2014). Maybe WotC will have a 40th Anniversary Celebration then at GenCon. . . .

And I totally got that wrong. The big thing on Saturday evening was the first Epic simultaneous game: 700 people all playing the same adventure at once, in the same room, with not a single empty seat available. It wasn't a carefully guarded release of news at all.

Tony Semana

First Post
WOW. There is a lot judgement and general hysterics over one tweet. To whom my feel so invested (if this is really that important to you), do yourself the service of listening to the actual Gencon panel and availing yourself of some context: http://www.thetomeshow.com/e/forgotten-realms-panel-1-gencon-2014/

That detail was mentioned in passing, but with additional context around the discussion. They mention that some details will be passed on through the adventures, as they become relevant - as they've done in the past few books, but listen specifically for the parts about not expecting cannon from WotC and "this is how it should be" vs. building your own fantastic stories and making FR your own. It's actually a lot more entertaining listening to the authors' accounts of things, and it makes me feel quite optimistic for the direction of FR and DnD.

I'd also like to add kudos to @mearls and team for the hard work, and for putting out a great product in the face of the negativity and condemnations.

Last edited:

Remove ads