D&D 5E No Forgotten Realms Campaign Setting in development?

I'm A Banana

Potassium-Rich
I think that any 5e manifestation of a campaign setting is going to be different than what we've seen in the past. I think that's going to be true of EVERY setting they decide to release. It will be deliberate, intentional, and driven by a storyline there.

So it's not just gonna be "lets stick a map and some character options and a metaplot advancement between two covers and SPLAT that mofo!" The release of the 5e FRCS should be an event that highlights the unique and specific appeal of FR for all D&D players. Which might mean that it involves deep history, significant world events, and probably the divine meddling in the affairs of mortals. ;)

For me, as a fan of settings, I'm really interested in seeing FR highlight the things that FR can do that no other setting can do, and in playing an FR game that is notably distinct from my other D&D games. That's going to take more than geography and history and organizations. That's not something Tyranny of Dragons really does (I think intentionally, it's not meant to be a showcase for FR, it's just meant to traipse around through words you might recognize from being exposed to FR in the past).

I also am fond of WotC advocating for using old material and having DMs who don't have all the info they need right now consulting old products and developing their own stuff. It's very empowering to have WotC say "there's no One True Way at the moment, here's the source material, whatever you want to do is cool by us." I think this highlights 5e's adaptability.

Which is disappointing. Some settings don't need much (Greyhawk or Mystara) but some have some unique elements (Eberron's artificers, Dark Sun's defilers, Planescape's factions, Dragonlance's wizard orders and knighthoods) I'd like to see done. It's hard to say "Pick your own" when we don't have a mechanical way of expressing those things.

There's DMs doing this work right now. I whipped up some planescape info, one of my soon-to-be DMs, [MENTION=72670]Raunalyn[/MENTION] , has converted Dragonlance's wizards and knighthoods for use in our DL 5e campaign, and I'm sure there's folks out there already thinking about artificers and defilers in 5e who love those settings or who want to use 5e to play in them (heck, you mentioning it has made me think about how I'd do them now). 5e doesn't seem like it's too much of a fragile special snowflake of a game, you can do a lot of modding to the thing and it survives intact.

I was a tad bummed to hear that there were no immediate plans for an FR hardcover, but some of the reactions in this thread are boggling my mind. Foaming at the mouth and swearing off 5E because WotC hasn't announced imminent plans to publish a book that summarizes previously-published information, seriously?

Seriously? Snarking at people like that? Be wise and look at the image you originally posted. - Lwaxy

Last edited by a moderator:

My only concern with all of this is if they are not going to do this for FR, how long til I see any of the material I need for Eberron? Kinda need a few races, the artificer and of course psionics. I am sure the Psi stuff will come but less sure about when the other pieces will turn up. Ravenloft at least needs nothing more than what is in the PHB.

Remathilis

Legend
My only concern with all of this is if they are not going to do this for FR, how long til I see any of the material I need for Eberron? Kinda need a few races, the artificer and of course psionics. I am sure the Psi stuff will come but less sure about when the other pieces will turn up. Ravenloft at least needs nothing more than what is in the PHB.

I'm with you (though I could probably run Eberron without Psionics for a bit).

I've actually started work on Ravenloft stuff: So far I have a draft of Half-Vistani and the Mist Domain for Anchorites (along with the deities list). Working on a few feats and backgrounds. I'm hoping the DMG has fear/horror/madness checks in it.

Remathilis

Legend
There's DMs doing this work right now. I whipped up some planescape info, one of my soon-to-be DMs, @Raunalyn , has converted Dragonlance's wizards and knighthoods for use in our DL 5e campaign, and I'm sure there's folks out there already thinking about artificers and defilers in 5e who love those settings or who want to use 5e to play in them (heck, you mentioning it has made me think about how I'd do them now). 5e doesn't seem like it's too much of a fragile special snowflake of a game, you can do a lot of modding to the thing and it survives intact.

I'm loving the fact that the communities are already growing. Heck, just using the basic documents I've already begun to make

* Rakasta's from Mystara
* Ravenloft Half-Vistani and Anchorites (Mist domain for clerics)
* Genasi as a unique race (with five subraces)

I'm sure modding will begin in earnest when the DMG comes out (save me some work on races I wager).

Remove ads