D&D 5E No Forgotten Realms Campaign Setting in development?

Lord Blackstone

First Post
The original tweet doesn't capture the full story - we're not working on an FRCS right now because we are putting the bandwidth available for such a project into thinking about how to do an FRCS.

If you think of how we created fifth edition, we probably put more time and effort into determining what it needed to be (playtest, etc.) than into actually writing the final product.

The DMG is also still in the works - we won't even consider engaging in our next big RPG project until that is out the door, everyone has taken a vacation, and we're ready to tackle another huge project.

Guess this saves me from writing a letter. ROFL... Okay... lesson of the day... Don't overreact to tweets... 140 characters isn't enough...

Thanks Mike for clearing that up.

Edit: I am also passing this around on other boards.. the least I can do...

Last edited:

Agamon

Adventurer
Over at Candlekeep it's been pointed out more than a few times that Ed Greenwood has been writing at a frenetic pace for weeks and weeks, to the point that he's had to refuse new writing offers.

He just turned over the latest Realms novel to WotC, but I can't believe all that writing went for one novel.

His name has been attached to a fair amount of recent Kickstarter projects.

Last edited:

Agamon

Adventurer
The original tweet doesn't capture the full story - we're not working on an FRCS right now because we are putting the bandwidth available for such a project into thinking about how to do an FRCS.

If you think of how we created fifth edition, we probably put more time and effort into determining what it needed to be (playtest, etc.) than into actually writing the final product.

The DMG is also still in the works - we won't even consider engaging in our next big RPG project until that is out the door, everyone has taken a vacation, and we're ready to tackle another huge project.

Wow, thanks for taking time out of what has to be a fairly busy schedule right now to diffuse this, Mike!

I have to admit, this is what I got from the tweet, myself, then wondered what I missed when I started reading all the Chicken Little posts. :)

fanboy2000

Adventurer
Vacations are good. I hear Australia is nice in the summer. (Winter up here.)

tuxgeo

Adventurer
You are prolly right. I hope you are right.

Oy.....I am not usually susceptible to Nerd Rage but I came damn close to popping a blood vessel in my brain. rofl.. just frustrated....

Is it me or there unusual amount of no information coming out of GenCon this year? Anyone other than Enworld reporting the newest and greatest?

Re: paucity of information: They're saving it for Saturday night, I guess.

DMs have been advised to keep a four-hour block available tomorrow night (i.e. Saturday, 16th August 2014). Maybe WotC will have a 40th Anniversary Celebration then at GenCon.

If they do, that might be what they're saving all the surprise news for. (Or they could just be too busy to tell us stuff. . . Nah, that can't be it!)

Lord Blackstone

First Post
Re: paucity of information: They're saving it for Saturday night, I guess.

DMs have been advised to keep a four-hour block available tomorrow night (i.e. Saturday, 16th August 2014). Maybe WotC will have a 40th Anniversary Celebration then at GenCon.

If they do, that might be what they're saving all the surprise news for. (Or they could just be too busy to tell us stuff. . . Nah, that can't be it!)

Cool. That would be cool.. Its been frustrating about the info.. I have been on twitter... youtube... rpg.net.... enworld... candlekeep... random sites here and there.... and could not find anything til I ran into a tweet by Brian R. James... then all hell broke loose for me. took that sucker out of context... opps....

It is what it is.

lkj

Hero
I'd be excited to get some surprise news as well. Heck, Mearls keeps mentioning that he's got 'at least six' cool things that he knows about that he can't tell us yet. But I'll keep my expectations tempered. I mean, this is the Gen Con where they release 5th edition and their big Tyranny of Dragons storyline. They've been doing a slow buildup for months to this climax. They've still got the Monster Manual and DM's Guide to release. I wouldn't be stunned if they keep the launch itself their main focus and avoid teasing too many things that are likely still 5 or 6 months away.

Of course, it wouldn't be crazy to tease something new. I'm just not going to count on it. Actually, right now, I'm going to go sit down and read some more of my Players Handbook.

AD

Sammael

Adventurer
For what it's worth, I think the best way to do a new FRCS is not to have a FRCS at all.

Instead, split the FRCS into the following (massive, 300+ page) books:

1. Atlas of Faerûn - detailing the geography (physical and political) of the continent, with maps showing different eras (Crown Wars, Netheril/Jhaamdath, Post-Netheril, Post-Spellplague, Post-Sundering) and 1- or 2-page articles on each significant country or realm that arose during each era, as well as 2-page articles on major cities (Forgotten Realms Adventures, the 1e to 2e transition book, uses this format - and I still use it to this day when I plan adventures in a certain city). No crunch whatsoever, make it edition-neutral.

2. Faiths of Faerûn - a volume combining the 2e faiths trilogy, detailing all gods (living and dead) and their churches throughout history. Bonus points if deities that have never appeared in print (at least not in detail) such as Murdane and Auppenser are shown. No crunch or very light crunch (e.g. new domains).

3. Heroes and Villains of Faerûn - this one is for the novel fans, 1/2- page to 1-page biographies of every major NPC ever to have appeared in the Realms, from all the different eras. Crunch in the form of statblocks.

4. Secret Societies of Faerûn - combining 2e Cloak & Dagger and the 3e books (Lords of Darkness, Champions of Ruin/Valor), this book provides info on every secret society ever to have been active in the Realms and their history. Crunch in the form of statblocks and magic items.

5. Magic of Faerûn - all the different magic types, changes to magic throughout the ages, famous guilds and bard colleges, spells, magic items, new schools of magic, warlock pacts, bloodlines, and so on. Fairly crunchy.

6. Swords of Faerûn - significant wars, warrior schools/martial traditions, mercenary companies, equipment, new fighting styles, other martial stuff. Fairly crunchy.

One release every 3 months or so, then continue with regional books, starting with regions that haven't had a regional book in forever such as, oh I dunno, CORMYR?

Lawngnome4hire

First Post
What really shocks me the most... if they aren't going to produce a Forgotten Realms Campaign Sourcebook anytime soon... what about all the other settings... This has seriously bummed me out.
This is just personal speculation and wishing on my part, but I really hope that the yearly adventure paths they produce will each take place in a different setting. That would be a really interesting way to introduce setting material without going the splat book route that they've said they want to avoid.

Remove ads