D&D 5E No Forgotten Realms Campaign Setting in development?

Sonny

Adventurer
Exactly. WTF... still shocked by this news.. it was the thing I was looking forward the most. I was under the impression that the Multiverse would take front and center in this edition...

It is possible that the first setting book will be a multiverse one. We know things like Warforged and Kender will be in the DMG. If you make a book that covers all unique mechanics from different settings and combine it with the setting PDFs, you could take care of many settings at once. Then proceed with large single campaign books later on.

Kai Lord

Hero
AD&D 1E didn't give us the Dragonlance Adventures hardcover until 3 years after the modules started coming out. Ravenloft Campaign Box Set was years after its introductory module as well. I like the idea of them going back to giving you glimpses of worlds through modules and letting each gaming group fill in the blanks.

Lord Blackstone

First Post
I'd bet real money we'll see FRCS during late 2015/early 2016.

"Not in development" doesn't mean "We ain't gonna do it".

You are prolly right. I hope you are right.

Oy.....I am not usually susceptible to Nerd Rage but I came damn close to popping a blood vessel in my brain. rofl.. just frustrated....

Is it me or there unusual amount of no information coming out of GenCon this year? Anyone other than Enworld reporting the newest and greatest?

Jiggawatts

Adventurer
I too am a little bummed about this. Personally I want full 300+ campaign setting books for the following:

Forgotten Realms
Dragonlance
Planescape
Ravenloft

And after that theres still Greyhawk, Eberron, Dark Sun, and possibly even Spelljammer, Mystara, and Birthright, all of which I wouldn't mind seeing as well. One of the things I was most excited about with this edition was the return of the multiverse, I really thought we were going to get multiple products for multiple worlds in the vein of 2E (though accomplished more soundly business-wise).

lkj

Hero
I suppose they could do a 'Year of Forgotten Realms', where they produce adventures and such for it, develop things through organized play, and then at the end put together a sourcebook 'for those who want to keep playing FR'. Then move on to the next setting and do the same thing.

Just a thought.

AD

Lord Blackstone

First Post
I too am a little bummed about this. Personally I want full 300+ campaign setting books for the following:

Forgotten Realms
Dragonlance
Planescape
Ravenloft

And after that theres still Greyhawk, Eberron, Dark Sun, and possibly even Spelljammer, Mystara, and Birthright, all of which I wouldn't mind seeing as well. One of the things I was most excited about with this edition was the return of the multiverse, I really thought we were going to get multiple products for multiple worlds in the vein of 2E (though accomplished more soundly business-wise).

This is what I am talking about.... 300+ page campaign settings with all the bells and whistles..... a monster manual for each setting... I am ready to throw lots of cash at this company...

Last edited:

Wrathamon

Adventurer
Ed Greenwood Present's the Forgotten Realms book doesn't have enough information? That was just released not too long ago. Plus you have all the previous versions of the book?

What do you need? NPC stat blocks?

DaveMage

Slumbering in Tsar
Interesting!

This explains why they are referring folks to get the 3E or 4E Realms campaign settings.

Can you now play the new FR adventures in any era? What a fascinating idea!

Lord Blackstone

First Post
Ed Greenwood Present's the Forgotten Realms book doesn't have enough information? That was just released not too long ago. Plus you have all the previous versions of the book?

What do you need? NPC stat blocks?

I love Ed Greenwood Presents book. Great read and lots of fun. Anyway.

Honestly, I just want something new to read.

Kara Tur... its been years since that this has been dealt with...

Al Qadim... ditto...

Maztica... reportedly back on Toril.. just how that society is different since being on Abeir.

Abier.... Toril's twin... ruled by primordials.. sounds interesting as hell to me...

Otherlands on Toril... basically the north and south america version of Toril.... Very interested in this..

Whether this ever makes it out.. who knows... but sounds like a lot of fun for me.

samursus

Explorer
And remember...

A FR sourcebook would not need a ton of development time, IMO. So just because there is not one in development at the moment, that might not mean much.

Basically, I figure it would be %90 fluff to %10 crunch. And they could probably crank that out in 3 months or less (pulling numbers out of my ***).

Edit: And I expect with their story bibles, they already know mostly what is going on in the Realms this edition.

Last edited:

Remove ads