D&D 5E No more D&D MtG Premier Sets (Blogatog & State of the Game sources)

CleverNickName

Limit Break Dancing
@TerraDave is right: the money will do all the talking and persuading in this situation. If Adventures in the Forgotten Realms sells well, they will do more. If it sells really well, they will find other things to make into premier sets (like Spelljammer or Dark Sun.)

I was actually legit surprised Elminster wasn't even in as a Commander or Planeswalker.

So were an awful lot of other people if Elminister was singled out in particular (although he wasn't the only one, hence why I suspect the next Forgotten Realms set will be a Commander Legends set, more Legendary Creatures, by alot, and as a supplemental set it can explore alot more mechanics, both ones in AFR, but also Party, Experience, Level Up, Sagas, Historic, etc...,

If it sold well, they will do more.

He's already said elsewhere its selling well, the issue isn't will they do another D&D, he thinks it's very likely, it's just that sets legal in standard aren't the right place for the set because it's was too polarizing, but in a supplemental set (paper, digital or both) it will be alot less polarizing because Standard is where the main ongoing metaplot of MtG advances, supplemental sets tend to be the history of MtG and future teasers like Wrenn and Six.

Doing supplemental sets also makes it easier to do extremely complex settings like the Forgotten Realms where honest most MtG mechanics fit thematically. Embalm, Foretell, Amass, Devotion, Landfall, Learn, etc..., all these and more make sense in FR thematically, as much as more D&D inspired mechanics do. A say Commander Legends of FR (hopefully with a digital tie in like Modern Horizons 1&2 & Jumpstart have gotten) would free up a ton of what they could do in the design space and the mechanics they could use as much greater complexity is allowed in Supplemental sets.

Charlaquin

Goblin Queen (She/Her/Hers)
I think this is for the best. Putting non-canon sets into standard was a weird choice to begin with, and being standard legal puts a lot of design constraints on these crossover set designs. Keeping future crossover products to supplemental sets, commander decks, and the line will allow those products to push the design envelope more.

I think I even prefer it as a supplemental product. It would probably give'em more freedom to make the sets more interesting without having to worry about standard

exactly, there so many cool mechanics that would work for a D&D set, that didn't get touched. Tons of beloved characters got left out.

I think this is for the best. Putting non-canon sets into standard was a weird choice to begin with, and being standard legal puts a lot of design constraints on these crossover set designs. Keeping future crossover products to supplemental sets, commander decks, and the line will allow those products to push the design envelope more.

I'd add some digital only cards for Arena might be possible too.

Charlaquin

Goblin Queen (She/Her/Hers)
If it sold well, WoTC would be fools not to do more D&D sets in the main Magic releases. Hasbro has profit expectations.
It did sell well, and they will do more D&D sets, they just won’t be “premier” sets (meaning, standard-legal). Presumably because they think they will sell better as supplemental sets. And they’re probably right about that.

Remove ads