D&D 5E No more D&D MtG Premier Sets (Blogatog & State of the Game sources)

Urriak Uruk

Gaming is fun, and fun is for everyone
You under estimated the number of players who didn't like mixing the settings.

I'm super doubtful on how much settings and lore even matters to the core MTG audience. I don't think they dislike it in general, it's just secondary to actual card mechanics.

Anyway, I'm not sure how many takeaways one can take from this dev post. It doesn't really provide much hard evidence of much, beyond generic statements like "More polarizing than most sets," or "It's selling very well."

Beyond these probably not being premier sets anymore, and it being unlikely for there ever to be a true canon MTG-D&D crossover, everything else seems very much in flux. This card set doesn't even really "mix the settings," so I doubt they'll move even more in that direction.

I'm super doubtful on how much settings and lore even matters to the core MTG audience. I don't think they dislike it in general, it's just secondary to actual card mechanics.

Anyway, I'm not sure how many takeaways one can take from this dev post. It doesn't really provide much hard evidence of much, beyond generic statements like "More polarizing than most sets," or "It's selling very well."

Beyond these probably not being premier sets anymore, and it being unlikely for there ever to be a true canon MTG-D&D crossover, everything else seems very much in flux. This card set doesn't even really "mix the settings," so I doubt they'll move even more in that direction.

Melanie's (the name for MtG fans that care more about mechanics then lore) might not care, but Vorthos (fans that care more about flavour then the mechanics, including big spending collectors who might not even play, just collect the cards), do care.

So if a large chunk of the Melanie's are unhappy with the mechanics and a large chunk of Vorthos don't like the lore mixing in standard (which in a sense is where the metastory of MtG plays out game wise), but the D&D fans and Forgotten Realms more then make up for it, then Supplemental Sets is the way to make the largest amount of customers happy. It's just logical.

Scribe

Legend
Melanie's (the name for MtG fans that care more about mechanics then lore) might not care, but Vorthos (fans that care more about flavour then the mechanics, including big spending collectors who might not even play, just collect the cards), do care.

So if a large chunk of the Melanie's are unhappy with the mechanics and a large chunk of Vorthos don't like the lore mixing in standard (which in a sense is where the metastory of MtG plays out game wise), but the D&D fans and Forgotten Realms more then make up for it, then Supplemental Sets is the way to make the largest amount of customers happy. It's just logical.

I always thought it was Melvin (I've never met a person with that name in my life actually) but yeah.

They are the ones to appreciate systems, and mechanics, and things like 'cmc of 6, and 6/6 stats on a demon'.

Or cycles...anyway, Johnny/Melvin here lol.

I always thought it was Melvin (I've never met a person with that name in my life actually) but yeah.

They are the ones to appreciate systems, and mechanics, and things like 'cmc of 6, and 6/6 stats on a demon'.

Or cycles...anyway, Johnny/Melvin here lol.

They created a feminine version called Melanie, just as Tammy was the female version of Timmy. I just go with which ever I find more aesthetically pleasing, Melanie is my favorite female name (although Alexandria and Amber are a close second), and I like Timmy more then Tammy aesthetically.

Really Melanie vs Vorthos is a spectrum in practice, anyone who plays MtG at all, even if it's just on Arena is at least a bit of a Melanie, out of shear practicality, but I really care about the story even more which is why I never netdeck.

MoonSong

Rules-lawyering drama queen but not a munchkin
Or you could just… you know, buy boxes of other D&D supplemental sets when they come out. Because it seems inevitable that they will. In fact, you sound like exactly the target audience for such sets.

Am I just speaking Greek when I say “premier set just means standard legal”?
I don't know. All I know is I'd be priced out if future D&D releases are closer to MH or TimeSpiral remastered. Being able to afford only one box instead of three will mean I'd probably won't get the one. Just one might be worse than getting none.

And this provided they don't make it a secret lair. These just don't make it into my country.

Jeremy E Grenemyer

Feisty
Supporter
Interesting.

I never saw one complaint over the lack of an Elminster card.

As for AFR, I'm having a blast with the set. The d20 mechanic is super fun, as are several of the cards in the set (Teleporation Circle, Delina, the Class enchantments, Venturing Into the Dungeon, etc.). I'd like to see a future release that focuses on the party mechanic some more, and that introduces more dungeons to venture in.

As for the Tarrasque, I've seen complaints that it should have Trample. But I think it's better without it since a Tarrasque takes the time to destroy everything in its path. If anything it should have Indestructible whenever it attacks.

MoonSong

Rules-lawyering drama queen but not a munchkin
As for the Tarrasque, I've seen complaints that it should have Trample. But I think it's better without it since a Tarrasque takes the time to destroy everything in its path. If anything it should have Indestructible whenever it attacks
It is a bit misunderstood. Everybody seems to think, "when it attacks I get to choose the bloquer". But it isn't that way, it works like this "when I declare an attack, I choose a target, the tarrasque kills the target and then my opponent gets to block, provided there are bloquers left, in which case the opponent gets 10 damage.

Remove ads