• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

No! No! Baaaaaaad Marvel Comics!

DonTadow

First Post
Dannyalcatraz said:
Even if that were true, that only means that the SS needs to brush up against you, then blast you to atoms as you reel in your power-switched confusion.

Like I said, I stopped reading 99% of comics in 1996, partly because of bad writing...
Are you saying that all comic books have been written poorly since 2008. Dude, get a grip. You obviously missed that whole crazy silly silver era. Different strokes for different folks, but you seem to be getting bent up out of shape for a non issue.

A. You're not a comic book fan anymore, and if you havn't read in a decade you have no idea whati s going on. For all you know this could be something pulled out of Ultimate or an elseworld you're not familiar with.

B. Comic books are not novels and even they don't go to the movie as is. Not one person, ONE, can name a single print media that went to the screen perfectly without any additions, deletions, changes in character or setting.

C. They write movies for today's audience. Someone believes that the story needed some extra drama. Nothing wrong with that. The FF storyline is going off the fact that they recently received their powers, this already is way off from the original story in the book. That may play afactor in it.

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
Dannyalcatraz said:
He "won" because his "Spidey sense" allowed him to avoid being hit...and somehow, a guy who had taken hits from the Thing couldn't take a few dozen from Spidey, who isn't even in Firelord's strength class, much less the Thing's.

Karma (for those of you who know the faserip Marvel Superheroes game). It is well established in comics (Marvel or otherwise) that occasionally the guy who you think will win based upon powers alone will lose. What it amounts to is built up karma, luck, or whatever you want to call it. Ocasionally, the hero wins because he's the hero.

You may call it bad writing, I call it a genre trope.

And I think A-M Guard has a bit of a point. Everything you've told us so far says that you don't actually like comics. That's your right, of course. But I'm not sure how much creedence that gives to your critique. It'd rather be like me giving critique on the flavor of a dish that's mostly okra - I hate okra, in and of itself. My bias against it is so strong as to likely overwhelm my abilities of constructive criticism.

Silver Moon

Adventurer
DonTadow said:
Not one person, ONE, can name a single print media that went to the screen perfectly without any additions, deletions, changes in character or setting.
Agreed, due in part to the need to condense several hundred of comic book appearances into a two-hour film.

When the first X-Men film came out I recall hearing considerable criticism of how Rogue was portrayed, people comparing her to the outgoing bombshell of the current comics at the time, although if you go back and reread the first few Chris Claremont/Paul Smith issues of X-Men when she first joined the team the uncertain shy little girl of the movie was quite close.

Another example is Daredevil, a film that most people didn't care for although the story stayed very close to the original source material of Daredevil #164, 181, and 190 (all written by Frank Miller who participated in the movie.)

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
Frukathka said:
Its not really Marvel Comics fault anyway, they sold the rights for it to be adapted to the screen. It is the director's/writer's fault(s).

Well, technically, they could have sold the rights while retaining some creative veto power, if they so chose.

DonTadow

First Post
Silver Moon said:
Agreed, due in part to the need to condense several hundred of comic book appearances into a two-hour film.

When the first X-Men film came out I recall hearing considerable criticism of how Rogue was portrayed, people comparing her to the outgoing bombshell of the current comics at the time, although if you go back and reread the first few Chris Claremont/Paul Smith issues of X-Men when she first joined the team the uncertain shy little girl of the movie was quite close.

Another example is Daredevil, a film that most people didn't care for although the story stayed very close to the original source material of Daredevil #164, 181, and 190 (all written by Frank Miller who participated in the movie.)
Two movies that i felt were the closest comicbook adaptations in a decade were Punisher and Daredevil, neither were received well by the public.

The Human Target

Adventurer
This may be the stupidest thread in the history of the internet.

A) Its a movie. It can do whatever the deuce it wants with the FF property.

B) You haven't seen the movie, and have no idea why certain things happen.

C) The power swapping idea comes from the current comics and has nothing at all to do with the Silver Surfer, though it may in the movie. Its also, as has been said, a Super Skrull reference.

D) Complaining about both the movie deviating from the source material and the movie being illogical is ridiculous, as the FF (and most superhero) comics have barely make any logical sense on a good day.

E) I'm not defending the movie out of enjoyment. The first one was terrible and I have no urge to see this one. But yeesh, take a deep breath.

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
If this is true...why the hell do you care so much? You didn't even see the first movie anyway. If you aren't going to SEE it it doesn't affect you AT ALL.

Ever hear of venting?

When I first saw the Silver Surfer streak across a movie screen some months ago, I thought

"HELL, YEAH!"

Oddly enough, the same reaction I had when I saw the first clips for Starship Troopers, and after that, The Phantom Menace.

The difference is that I saw more clips of this movie than of Starship Troopers, and feel forewarned.

1 out of 3... :\

I'm trying to prevent others from suffering as I did, and passed along the warning.

Are you saying that all comic books have been written poorly since 2008.

Nope. I'm saying that:

1) Some comics were well written (or, for that matter, drawn) and some weren't. The ones that weren't, I dropped. If the writing/art improved, I'd consider reading them again.

2) Some comic book movies are well written and some aren't. The ones that aren't don't get my money.

You're not a comic book fan anymore, and if you havn't read in a decade you have no idea whati s going on.

When I was deep in the hobby, I bought everything Marvel & DC made, as well as some Image, Dark Horse and other comics companies produced...and back issues besides. My personal collection dates back to things like Thor#5, and takes up more space than a Hummer.

And I still am a fan, and I'm still in touch. I'm in a comic book shop at least once a week. I even attend the occasional con or talk to the occasional artist. There are even some few titles I still read- Y the last man, PS238, the Orson Scott Card take on Iron Man, Hellblazer and 1602 to name a few. Every week, I get a few titles and updates on the rest...but I buy very few.

I got out of buying most titles regularly because the prices in 1996 versus my enjoyment of the storylines then didn't match up. I'd finish a week's worth of purchases in an hour or two...but the same amount of dough spent on novels lasted much, much longer.

Ultimately, there were too many continuity conflicts, too many recycled plotlines, too many retcons & changed premises...so I voted with my entertaiment $$$ and did other things with them.

Comic books are not novels and even they don't go to the movie as is. Not one person, ONE, can name a single print media that went to the screen perfectly without any additions, deletions, changes in character or setting.

Of course not. However, there are ways of doing it right- say, Silence of the Lambs, or the first and the latest Batman movies, and many ways of doing it wrong...like the Captain America movies.

They write movies for today's audience.

That's no excuse for drek.

If you excuse bad writing just because its a "comic book movie" just means that you're rewarding bad writing and that the producers of comic book movies won't learn. They'll continue to supply the market with badly written movies because they'll think that we won't care- and rightly so, based on the box office results.

The power swapping idea comes from the current comics and has nothing at all to do with the Silver Surfer, though it may in the movie. Its also, as has been said, a Super Skrull reference

Power swapping/power loss plotlines go back at least to the 1960s, if not further, in both of the 2 major comic companies. Again, its no excuse for a poorly conceived reason for the occurance of the swap.

If they really wanted to refer to the Super Skrull, then they should have used the Super Scrull.

D)
Complaining about both the movie deviating from the source material and the movie being illogical is ridiculous, as the FF (and most superhero) comics have barely make any logical sense on a good day.

Two movies that i felt were the closest comicbook adaptations in a decade were Punisher and Daredevil, neither were received well by the public.

True...but perhaps it was the acting rather than the storyline. Do you mean the Dolph Lundgren or Thomas Jane version of the Punisher? It doesn't matter, neither movie was particularly decent in the acting department. Ever notice that Rebecca Romjin only gets roles in comic book movies (OK...50% of her roles, + a cyberpunk movie...as an AI)?

Ditto Ben Afflek's turn as Daredevil- not exactly the best acting I've ever seen action flick.

He "won" because his "Spidey sense" allowed him to avoid being hit...and somehow, a guy who had taken hits from the Thing couldn't take a few dozen from Spidey, who isn't even in Firelord's strength class, much less the Thing's.

Karma (for those of you who know the faserip Marvel Superheroes game). It is well established in comics (Marvel or otherwise) that occasionally the guy who you think will win based upon powers alone will lose. What it amounts to is built up karma, luck, or whatever you want to call it. Ocasionally, the hero wins because he's the hero.

You may call it bad writing, I call it a genre trope.

Please...Firelord taken blows by opponents far stronger than Spider Man- the Thing and Thor for instance- and not been budged by much of anything shy of their absolute best. I have more of a chance of kicking the armor off of a King Tiger tank that he did of pummeling a Herald of Galactus into submission with just his baseline abilities.

According to Marvel Universe, "Spider-Man is capable of lifting over ten tons under optimal conditions and at maximum exertion"...Firelord, Thor, and the Thing are all cited at being able to lift 60+ tons. That is akin to the difference between the upper body strength of a somewhat athletic adult male (say, 300lb press) and an average 10 year old boy (about 50lb press).

We're not talking David & Goliath here...we're talking about a fistfight.

DonTadow

First Post
A fan supports the hobby no matter what, not goes into the comic book store and freeloads. TO me thats the equivalence to downloading d and d books illegally or borrowing your friends copies.

You also can't possibly figure out the state of the comic book industry if your sole source of comic books for 10 years has been a once a week two hour trip to the comic book shop and talking to an artist at a conveintion.

Your opinion of drek is your opinion, but your opinion doesn't matter, it is what the collective public's opinion thinks that gets how a movie is made. Sometimes this is bad, sometimes this is good. Public opinion says they want a comic relief moment in the movies. Again, they can't possibly introduce.. say the skrul, silver surfer, galactis and scarlet witch in one movie unless you want Batman Forever. So they borrow references and combine issues. I"m not saying thi swill work, i'm saying that we don't know until it comes out. A lot ofp eople thought sandman/venom would work great and it turned into a fiasco. Some people thought Batman in an ugly drill bat car was going to flip and it didn't. Someone probalby thought Nick Cage as Ghost Rider was a great idea, though we havn't found that guy.

Point is you don't know, and you're making us professional ranters (see my spiderman 3 and xmen 3 posts) look bad by prematurally ranting. After the movie comes out or you see a prerleease, feel free t ocome out and rant all you want. Heck I might even join you. But judging the movie based on a small concept that no one knows about yet before the movie release doesnt bode well.

TheLe

First Post
Dannyalcatraz said:
When will Hollywood learn? When you're working with an established classic of any genre, you don't need to mess with it.

I completely disagree. Many times you do need to make changes to make things work better on the screen. Sure, Hollywood has made some bad mistakes in the past, but fanboys will complain about everything.

Look at all the successful changes. People kicked and screamed about Spider-man not needing webshooters, yet in the end it was a great decision. No one misses it.

People loudly complained that X-men would be in black leather rather than skin-tight costumes, yet the first two turned out be be some of the best superhero movies ever made.

Honestly, do you think Doctor Octopus would look any good in spandex? I don't think so. The fact is that spandexed heroes do look that good on the screen (in general).

And lets not forget the awesome fight on the train in Spider-man 2. Raimi had to come out and mention that "this wasn't in the comic book" but proclaimed that people will like it, and they did.

Sorry, but taking something directly from the comic book and putting it onto the screen is just a bad idea.

Sometimes you need to make changes.

Sometimes what looks good on paper simply won't look good on screen.

~Le

Remove ads