• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

No turning for clerics? (A question, not a rumor.)

BASHMAN

Basic Action Games
erf_beto said:
I really hope they make one big pool of divine power and force turn undead, spontaneous cures, domain magic, remove curses, smite evil, and other clerical/paladin powers to draw from that same pool. Every deity would have a list of available powers, like talent trees or domains or something...
customization, flavor and mechanics, all in one...

That's a good idea.

GreatLemur

Explorer
Okay, I guess it's confirmed: Turning is in (of course), but it halts undead, rather than chasing them off. Or destroys them, naturally.

[url=http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/drdd/20071019a]Chris Sims[/url] said:
If you’re a player, take a moment right now to thank the merciful designers that turn undead is still in the game. That power doesn’t send the zombies running off to gods knows where, but if it doesn’t turn them to putrid dust, it does hold them at bay.

Wepwawet

Explorer
vagabundo said:
I'd like it expanded, turning should be a consequence of channeling energy (pos or neg) and could be used for many other things.

All healing should be done through this channeling (pos) and the heal skill. It would make the heal skill necessary for all "Healers".

Exactly!!!

This channeling of positive/negative energy, besides from turning undead, could be used for many different effects, according to the domains chosen. Or the Cleric's deity. Or something.
Most deities have different objectives.. and some may even not care about undead. So why imposing turn undead on all?
When I played clerics I only used Greater Turn Undead (the Sun domain granted power). Regular turning is basically useless.

In fact, I just hope the domains (or similar concepts) have much more importance in 4e Clerics. Like the Ardent class, from Complete Psyonic.

That thing about 1 spell slot per level for domain spells is silly... Makes all the clerics basically the same.
In my campaign I use spontaneous domain casting (mixed with sorcerer-like impromtu spells), from Unearthed Arcana, and it's great! Clerics who choose different domains really feel and act differently.

(maybe a bit off-topic now :eek: )

Last edited:

Anthtriel

First Post
GreatLemur said:
Okay, I guess it's confirmed: Turning is in (of course), but it halts undead, rather than chasing them off. Or destroys them, naturally.
Hopefully it's highly optional and not expected of the random cleric.

Necro-Clerics, especially in 3E - in which they were better Necros than Necromancers - have never, and will never work for me. How many gods actually care about Undead anyway?
And why is the armored dude who buffs his allies the master of negative energy?

hong

WotC's bitch
lukelightning said:
It's wonky that it's easier to turn a specter than it is to turn a zombie minotaur.
It's all about momentum, mang. Ever tried to turn a semitrailer? I bet it's a lot harder than turning a door handle.

Remove ads