D&D General Nobody likes an edition warrior.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
You just gotta get a big enough following and you can control the narrative and that'll influence decisions made by companies.
So, sorry about putting a damper on the funny stuff, but...

If you cite a designer saying, "Yeah, that BigPoster on GamingMessageBoards, we heard what they said and thought it was the right way to go," you'd have a point. But we have seen no clear evidence that this has happened with D&D, at least based on activity on this site.

We do not know that WotC designers read these boards with any regularity. And, the size of the regular posting population on EN World is small compared to the size of the playtesting population for 5e. Ergo, most of the playtesters were not reading these boards, and so attempts to control the narrative did not reach them, and they gave their own feedback, independent of attempts here to force design decisions one way or another.

Individually, you may change 0 minds, but it's not about convincing those you are arguing with. It is about convincing people who may just read the argument. It is about controlling narratives.

More importantly, attempting this on these boards with anything other than good sense and decent game design chops generally means using posting styles and patterns that typically violate our terms of service, and get you banned.

Several have thought what you said was true, in the past, and tried to "control the narrative". They often got banned from the site, and I don't think anyone actually managed to control the local narrative. So, good luck with this advice.

Tyler Do'Urden

Soap Maker
Dude, let's all be cool! It's all D&D!

oD&D is cool. B/X is cool. AD&D 1e is cool. BECMI is cool. Rules Cyclopedia is cool. AD&D 2e is cool. 3rd/3.5 is cool. Hackmaster is cool. OSRIC is cool. Pathfinder is cool. Lamentations of the Flame Princess is cool. DCC is cool. S&W is cool. Adventurer, Conqueror, King is cool. Basic Fantasy is cool. 5e is cool. Dungeon World is cool. Torchbearer is cool. AiME is cool. Pathfinder 2e is cool. Mork Borg is cool.

It's all D&D, and it's all good. :)
Except 4e. 4e can die in a fire.

HJFudge

Explorer
So, sorry about putting a damper on the funny stuff, but...

If you cite a designer saying, "Yeah, that BigPoster on GamingMessageBoards, we heard what they said and thought it was the right way to go," you'd have a point. But we have seen no clear evidence that this has happened with D&D, at least based on activity on this site.

We do not know that WotC designers read these boards with any regularity. And, the size of the regular posting population on EN World is small compared to the size of the playtesting population for 5e. Ergo, most of the playtesters were not reading these boards, and so attempts to control the narrative did not reach them, and they gave their own feedback, independent of attempts here to force design decisions one way or another.

More importantly, attempting this on these boards with anything other than good sense and decent game design chops generally means using posting styles and patterns that typically violate our terms of service, and get you banned.

Several have thought what you said was true, in the past, and tried to "control the narrative". They often got banned from the site, and I don't think anyone actually managed to control the local narrative. So, good luck with this advice.

I mean think what you waaaant but...

Edit: To be less snarky and more clear, the idea that this site is free and clear of any and all attempts to influence things...well, I mean maybe it is? But it would be unique (and I mean that in the literal sense, as in the only site) to be so.

What gets said on this board isn't only getting said on this board. It is about saying the same thing enough times in a lot of places and yes that very much gets the notice of people who make decisions. If it is loud enough and long enough. We see evidence of this in politics, media, and social interactions. And yes, while no one cares what HJFudge or Umbran posts in an opinion forum really, they very much do care if there are 10,000 (or insert whatever large number you fancy) folks all saying the same kinda thing.

Why is this idea threatening to you?

Last edited:

Lanefan

Victoria Rules
Put two RPG fans in a room and you'll come out with 3 opinions of which system is best.
Close. More likely, however:

Put two RPG fans in a room. One will come out with a clear opinion of which edition is best. The other will have been planeshifted to somewhere rather unpleasant and is still trying to figure out how to get back.....

The-Magic-Sword

Small Ball Archmage
Here is a brief summary of every D&D edition war thread and post, ever.

View attachment 133721
This is such an accurate representation, someone just accused me of white knighting for paizo elsewhere, meanwhile my 5e collection from before I switched to PF2e is right beside me, along with my 4e books, and I still remember people insisting that I only liked 4e rather than Pathfinder 1e because I was a WOTC fanboy back in like, 2011.

CleverNickName

Limit Break Dancing
It was a Red arrow. Got through my Black shield.
Animated GIF

Status
Not open for further replies.
Remove ads