• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Non-Core Class Survivor Spin-off: Pro-psionics or anti-psionics

How do you feel about psionics?

• I'm pro-psionics!

Votes: 90 50.3%
  • I'm anti-psionics!

Votes: 66 36.9%
  • Keep me out of this one!

Votes: 23 12.8%

Kafkonia

First Post
I'm not anti-psionics, I'm just not big on classes that require new mechanics. So I voted "keep me out of this" -- after all, I'd have voted out the Beguiler before I voted out the Psychic Warrior (which seems to fit into my worldview better than the psion.)

But if I were to run a psionics and fantasy game, I'd probably use GURPS or something rather than d20.

Barak

First Post
I'm fine with psionics, actually I -love- psionics!- in the right Modern/sci-fi game. To me, it's really out of place in fantasy, unless it's built-in (like Dark Sun), or really, really rare (like a monster or two in a "regular" game). Otherwise, it's just annoying.

Glyfair

Explorer
Barak said:
To me, it's really out of place in fantasy, unless it's built-in (like Dark Sun), or really, really rare (like a monster or two in a "regular" game). Otherwise, it's just annoying.

While I haven't been big on it until 3rd edition, I never had much of a flavor problem with it. I suppose it's just that one of the early fantasy series I was attracted to was the Deryni series which had a clear psionics type of "magic" and a clear sorcery type of "magic" in the same fantasy world. I never felt a science fiction feel to the world, so I never had that prejudice.

Barak

First Post
Glyfair said:
While I haven't been big on it until 3rd edition, I never had much of a flavor problem with it. I suppose it's just that one of the early fantasy series I was attracted to was the Deryni series which had a clear psionics type of "magic" and a clear sorcery type of "magic" in the same fantasy world. I never felt a science fiction feel to the world, so I never had that prejudice.

Perhaps, or even probably. Me? Having read lots of sci-fi and fantasy fiction, I've seen a lot of psionics in the former, and virtually none in the latter. It probably helped shape the way I view it.

Then again, to me, Wizards and Psions become redundant, because they should both use the same main Stat (intelligence), and so having both developed side-by-side is counterproductive.

I know, I know. Psions don't necessarly need a high Int. That just.. yeah.

Whizbang Dustyboots

Gnometown Hero
blargney the second said:
I'm sort of mystified why there are some people that hate psionics so much. Any of you care to clarify for me?
Psionics fit into standard high fantasy about as well as a shark fits into a circus. Sharks are cool as hell, but it's uncomfortable watching them flopping around on the sawdust like that.

Having said that, the Realm of Dreams hook in Eberron makes them work quite well in that setting, so much so that I wish that was the default flavor for psionics.

Last edited:

Mycanid

First Post
PRO-PSIONICS all the way. I have been since they were in the 1e PHB, and was thrilled when Lakofka began to introduce psionic npc's into his L series module. I have been a fan ever since. Gotta love the psionic bartender who knows EXACTLY what you are thinking.

Barak

First Post
Mycanid said:
PRO-PSIONICS all the way. I have been since they were in the 1e PHB, and was thrilled when Lakofka began to introduce psionic npc's into his L series module. I have been a fan ever since. Gotta love the psionic bartender who knows EXACTLY what you are thinking.

I gotta love 'em only if a thin layer of lead is enough to prevent all their "abilities" from working.

Mycanid

First Post
Be of good cheer my good Barak - I was not issuing a prime directive to the mass of humankind. I was moreso talking about my own reactions to the innkeeper Abraham in Module L2. I was moreso carrying on to myself out loud ... err ... if that makes sense.

Nonetheless I apologize if I offended! It was not meant! (Sheesh ... guess 3wiz is right. I AM an apologetic mycanid it seems. ;))

Now ... back to thread!

Remove ads