D&D 5E Non fantasy settings using the 5e system

Which of these have you played and liked, if not then check them out

• Everyday Heroes (modern heroes)

• 5th Evolution (superhero's)

• 5e Adventures In Oz (does have fantasy elements)

• Stargate SG-1 Roleplaying Game (modern/Sci Fi/space/aliens)

• S5E ( Superheroes/Sci Fi/ fantasy elements)

• The Spy Game (Espionage around the world, covert ops)

• D21st Century (Conversion for the 5e players book)

• Esper Genesis (Sci fi )

• Blades & Blasters (Adding sci fi to 5e, conversion or adding to the 5e basic players book)

• Carbon 2185 (complete rule book / setting/ sci fi)

• Dark matter (sc fi/ fantasy elements/space)

• Genefunk2090 (Cyber punkish setting and complete rule book)

• Hyperlanes (sci fi conversion book for the basic 5e)

• lowlife 2090 (alternat rules for the 5e system/sci fi/shadowrun like)

• rocket age (pulp Sci Fi rules setting)

• Ultramodern 5e: Redux (A General Rules book, covers everything has many expansions)

• Doctors & Daleks {timey whimmy bits for 5e)

Results are only viewable after voting.

J.Quondam

CR 1/8
There's another Oz-based setting book for 5e by Andrew Kolb, called simply "Oz." It's a point-crawl sandbox with a fantastical urban 1920s vibe. I haven't played it yet, but it's got a neat art style and excellent layout much like Kolb's previous Peter Pan-based 5e setting, "Neverland."

Do any of these rulesets have a technological artificer? Something where you gather parts and then build a gizmo out of them?

I'm looking for something more weird science then making temp magic items.

payn

He'll flip ya...Flip ya for real...
My problem with these port/reskins is folks have a hard time letting go of their D&D habits. That said, I did enjoy Carbon 2185 until it turned murderhobo loot fest.

Micah Sweet

Level Up & OSR Enthusiast
The next step for D&D has to be the no-fantasy settings, but the d20 system is not ready to be retrocompatible. Sentient enemies with firearms are too dangerous, and then these need a different value of challenguing rating or XP reward. Have you played any Battle Royal where you start without weapons?

I say "Cobretti effect" because in the movie "Cobra" the female main character, Bridgitte Nielsen, couldn't face the "night slasher" but the main character, Sylvester Stalone, with enough weapons and ammo, he was an one-man-army who could defeat the cult of the new dawn. In the first movie "Alien, the eight passenger" one xenomorph was enough to kill almost all Nostromo's staff, but in the sequel thanks the sentinel turrets dozens of them, maybe hundres, were killed from a separate room. In the first confrontation between Robocop and the robotED-209 our friend the agent Murphy had to run away, but later in the final part of the part with the Cobra assault canon only one shot was enough to destroy it. Other example is in Survival Horror videogames when the player starts with nothing, but later with the right weapons and enough ammo special mosters can be destroyed more easily, some times even too fast.

A psyco-killer with a knive can be a nightmare for PCs in a survival horror game, but the same enemy is only walking XPs if the PCs are soldiers or a S.W.A.T. team.

Some enemies are designed for meleet fights and others for PCs with firearms. The champions of Street Fighters can't face againts the characters of Overwatchs, or the martial artists from Mortal Kombat aren't ready to face the infernal creatures from "Doom".
The way too many modern games fix this problem is to reduce the usefulness of modern technology to equal stuff PCs have access to in vanilla 5e. Really messes with the feel of the genre, sadly.

Micah Sweet

Level Up & OSR Enthusiast
I didn't leave it out, as i do not have that book, and i do the others, now adding the dr who to them, personally i was never a big StarWars fan. Was more a trek fan or something more hardcore sci fi. I mean i understand psionics and mystical powers but star wars had a mystical part that kind of turned me off. Also babylon 5 was a favorite as well.
Will support Babylon 5 forever!

Vincent55

Adventurer
My problem with these port/reskins is folks have a hard time letting go of their D&D habits. That said, I did enjoy Carbon 2185 until it turned murderhobo loot fest.
the murder hobo thing is as much the DM fault as the players, i know because when i first started out DMing i had games that ended like this. But really it is easy to stop that style quickly either talk to the players or make it where they regret their actions, every thing has a consequence. All else fails let the problem players go, or just make their trys to do the hobo thing useless and they will shape up or quit them selves.

payn

He'll flip ya...Flip ya for real...
the murder hobo thing is as much the DM fault as the players, i know because when i first started out DMing i had games that ended like this. But really it is easy to stop that style quickly either talk to the players or make it where they regret their actions, every thing has a consequence. All else fails let the problem players go, or just make their trys to do the hobo thing useless and they will shape up or quit them selves.
I wasn't the GM and told "that is how RPGs are played'. Regardless, murder hobo tendencies is only one of many annoying D&D holdovers I these ports. I just avoid them now.

Dias Ex Machina

Publisher / Game Designer
Amethyst is a 5e future earth where parts of the world have magic and tech breaks down and parts where magic breaks down and super tech works.

Has firearms and vehicle rules, plus power armor, railcannons and such.
Awesome, thanks for the plug; yeah we just released a rebuild of the core book and have a sequel coming out next week. The third volume in the series will be later this year.

Remove ads