D&D 4E Not going to 4e

Navior

First Post
I have no intention of switching to 4e. I have loads of third edition material to last me many more years, and what I've seen of 4th edition just hasn't inspired me. It's conceivably possible I might end up playing in a 4e game some day, but my own games will remain 3.5.

Nifft

Penguin Herder
Hunter In Darkness said:
ok heres a thread just to see who else here has no plans to go on to 4e
Okay. Have fun with ... not-4e.

(It's hard to bring positive into a purely negative thread.)

Cheers, -- N

Nifft said:
Okay. Have fun with ... not-4e.

(It's hard to bring positive into a purely negative thread.)

Cheers, -- N

dont see anything negative in this thread. just folks stateing what they do not like . its really a positive feeling to look around and see the things you like that will soon be gone are things other folks like as well. and if u please no more snide comments in this thread if u dont mind.

Pinotage

Explorer
JoeGKushner said:
While I have years left of 3.5 material to use, I'm very curious to see some actual meat and bones of the mechanics behind 4e and see how much of that I can bring into my other games.

I'm in this camp as well. Not likely going to 4e, but will take a look at the non-specific mechanics to see if I can bastardise that and incorporate it into the games I'm in. I've got too much 3.5e material, too many games running 3.5e that will take a few more years to finish, so I have no reason to switch.

Pinotage

Stormtower

First Post
Delta said:
Yeah -- interestingly, this was the first thing my batch of friends at Gen Con told me about. This here is the first independent report about that I've heard, so now I can say my friends aren't plain crazy.

There definitely was scattered, loud booing at the conclusion of the 4e presentation at GenCon. There was also scattered, subdued applause... but most of the assembled audience I witnessed was simply quiet. A number of folks booed when the presenters failed to acknowledge or address backwards-forwards compatibility between editions.

In the entertainment industry, either a strong positive OR strong negative reaction is frequently considered acceptable ("all press is good press"), but stony silence = death.

For the record, I don't want to see 4e fail. I want the industry to grow and remain strong. But 4e is where I personally step off the treadmill and enjoy the complete game (with decades' worth of cool unplayed adventures) that I've assembled with my WotC and 3rd-party 3.5/OGL stuff.

jensun

First Post
Booing?

mmu1 said:
That's how it seemed like, anyway, and the crappy PowerPoint presentation and the tons of unhappy booing fans really made it hard to feel that this new edition was going to something good.
You must have been at a different Gencon presentation to me then. Certainly there were scattered grumbles as well as applause. Mostly the place was fairly quiet. To suggest there were "tons of unhapppy booing fans" is seriously overstating the position.

I would entirely agree that the powerpoint was rubbish and they also choose one of the least charismatic speakers ever to make it which probably didnt help. To be honest it felt rather amateurish.

On topic, I havent played D&D regularly for a number of years. I will probably buy the Players Handbook and see if it has anything to interest me, just as our group did with 3.0. That sparked one of the most enjoyable campaigns I have ever played in which ran for 2 years, who knows, 4e might do the same.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases