Not With a Bang, I: Its Own Reward

Rybaer

First Post
Grinder quickly assesses the situation and settles on loading his light crossbow. He studies the wolves carefully, looking for a sign that they're ready to attack.

"I'm not so sure feedin them's a good idea," he says to Tuli. "Probably just encourage them to be more bold with us."

OOC: Hold action to fire crossbow at the first wolf that closes more than half its current distance.

Manzanita

First Post
Arkan

Arkan notices the wolves first. She notices at once that these beasts are not evil, and are only following their natural desire for food. Assuming there are not more of them, they wouldn't normally attack such a large group. If they're hungry enough they might. She takes a step forward, sword and axe at ready, and attempts to use her wild empathy to disuade them from attacking.

OOC: I'm as bit new at wild empathy - I assume it could be used in this fashion. Her modifier is the big +1 (1 level; 0 chr mod)

LazarusLong42

First Post
In which we learn the magic of the word 'ready'

Arkan steps forward, softly vocalizing toward the wolves, attempting to seem as harmless as possible, but their demeanor seems not to change. It's obvious that they're simply very hungry, and very desperate.

The three wolves leap at you to attack, beginning a cascade of readied actions. Grinder fires a crossbow bolt into the lead wolf's chest, causing it to yelp in pain, but not slowing it down. Nojin rushes forward toward the leader, slashing with the axe end of his urgrosh and cutting a huge gash in its neck. It falls and lays silently.

Baril fires his shortbow at the wolf nearest him, catching it a glanding blow on its side. Nylarra runs forward with her rapier and dagger at the ready, and thrusts her rapier deep into the belly of the leftmost wolf, felling it.

Tuli tosses a dagger at the remaining wolf, but the dagger lands at the wolf's feet, missing it completely. Grunlor moves forward and slashes at the final charging wolf, slashing its front leg.

The wolf, seeing Grunlor as its nearest enemy, lunges to bite him, but its teeth clank against armor, leaving but a small dent. Brevin, moving a bit forward, swings at the beast and misses as it dodges away from him.

The remaining wolf is still growling at you, though it's looking very winded and is bleeding badly from its leg. Its two companions are down, though Arkan and Brevin both notice they're still breathing, and seem to have simply fallen unconscious from the stresses of the attacks.

Actions?

OOC:

Game-mechanical notes:

Grinder: attack roll 12+1 = 13; damage roll 8;
Nojin: attack roll 12+5+2 = 19; damage roll 4+6 = 10;
Baril: attack roll 15+3 = 18; damage roll 1;
Nylarra: attack roll 20 (automatic hit and threat; confirm 19+5 = 24); damage rolls [1+6]+2 = 9;
Tuli: attack roll 4+4 = 8;
Grunlor: attack roll 18+4 = 22; damage roll 1+3=4;
Wolf: attack roll 10;
Brevin: attack roll 2+2 = 4.

Casar: I see no reason you shouldn't be able to ready a partial charge unless you are forced into a single action for the round, but note that (1) by the rules, you actually can't do so--I'm rule-zeroing that as of now, but be careful with other DMs--and (2) in any charge action, you may only take a single attack.

Manzanita: It didn't work, but kudos for thinking out of the box instead of automatically attacking... and 25 bonus XP.

Y'all rolled incredibly well here, though it didn't help that I rolled a whopping 2 for init for the wolves. Everyone acts in the same order next round, though technically everyone is now at Init 3 except for Arkan. Of course, one good hit should take care of ending this combat.

[DM grumbles] Next time, we send out the well-fed wolves... :)

Nojin turns in the direction of the last remain wolf dropping his Urgrosh and lunging at the wolf.

OOC (mechainics): Will attempt to grapple the wolf doing 1d6+4 with the armor spikes, but hopefully just smothering the little puppy without chopping his head off

OOC (comment): well, I did not brake down that charge like that nice catch Mr. DM and my bad for forgetting the one attack rule. One quick correction off the top of my head a double weapon does not get the 1.5 str bonus for being used in 2 hands even if there is only one attack so if Im right the attack should be 1d8+4. Unless the other 2 came from another source that I am missing or the even that the bonus is first and this is all useless typing, you gave me a little extra punch.

Rybaer

First Post
Grinder reloads his crossbow and makes a quick scan around the camp. He's pretty sure he's heard of wolves being clever enough to attack from multiple directions before, and he figures a little extra caution never hurt.

Manzanita

First Post
Arkan

Arkan will move forward (if there's room) to try to finish off the wolf with her sword (& axe if she is able to do a full action attack)

If the remaining wolf still stands on Brevin's turn, he'll run at the beast and stop about five feet from it, making as much noise as possible in an attempt at driving the wolf off without killing it.

Last edited:

Remove ads