Now You Can Play With Vin Diesel's WITCH HUNTER Class!

The class played by Vin Diesel in his recent D&D game was a custom class called the Witch Hunter, designed for him by DM Matt Mercer. Geek & Sundry has released the class as a nine-page PDF! "In a landscape tormented by all manner of beasts, devils, and abominations from beyond the veil, most live in fear of the dark, of superstition, and of the unknown. Some grow hardened by this experience, instead choosing to stand up and fight against the tide of shadow. These folk are called 'heroes'. Some, however, are so fanatical and bent on destroying the anethema that plagues the countryside that they embrace dark, forbidden knowledge. They so obsessively research forgotten magics and dangerous, experimental alchemy to become the perfect hunter that their humanity is often called into question. These folk are called 'Witch Hunters'."

The class played by Vin Diesel in his recent D&D game was a custom class called the Witch Hunter, designed for him by DM Matt Mercer. Geek & Sundry has released the class as a nine-page PDF! "In a landscape tormented by all manner of beasts, devils, and abominations from beyond the veil, most live in fear of the dark, of superstition, and of the unknown. Some grow hardened by this experience, instead choosing to stand up and fight against the tide of shadow. These folk are called 'heroes'. Some, however, are so fanatical and bent on destroying the anethema that plagues the countryside that they embrace dark, forbidden knowledge. They so obsessively research forgotten magics and dangerous, experimental alchemy to become the perfect hunter that their humanity is often called into question. These folk are called 'Witch Hunters'."

Find the PDF over at Geek & Sundry here. It's a fully illustrated 20-level class for D&D 5th Edition, with three Orders to choose from - Order of the Ghostslayer, Order of the Profane Soul, and Order of the Mutant.

Watch Vin Diesel's D&D game below.

[video=youtube;yLEMb_RIZ3o]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yLEMb_RIZ3o[/video]

Orlax

First Post
That's a really cool class. Need to get my players to roll one or start making some NPCs soon.

Same thought I was having. I need to come up with a good story line to have the player's involved in to get one of these guys into the fold. Might have to be an undead hunter trying to clean up some evil undead in our base city. Undead are not inherently evil in my campaign, but some of them are due to being made by wholly evil necromancers.

Orlax

First Post
The 15th level Ghostslayer ability - Gravesight - while thematically fine, also feels like a nod to Diesel's other character, Riddick.

"You're not afraid of the dark, are you?"

Didn't even notice this originally but it is freaking awesome because it definitely seems like a total nod to riddick. Like that whole subclass seems like it is. You deal radiant damage (light damage basically, which was the bane of the creatures in pitch black), you cannot be restrained (riddick can't be locked up) and you get stronger the more you kill things. Also don't forget in the second movie riddick is fighting the half dead leader of the necromongers who had a ghost like capability.

Psikerlord#

Explorer
I have to say I like this class. It feels to me like a mash-up of Dragon Age Grey Warden and the Witch Hunter game (which I havent played but know a bit about). Nothing stands out to me as OP at first glance (not sure about that regenerate mutagen thing, should probably have a cap at half hp max, or something?).

Out of the subclasses, I would not personally choose Ghosthunter, but I very much like the half fighter/half warlock Profane Soul, and love the Mutant and his mutagens.

I would like to see a ranger who uses herbalism in the same way as mutagens. With a pet.

Last edited by a moderator:

Ath-kethin

Elder Thing
How did this pdf get to version 4.2 and nobody pointed out to the author that they're using the wrong terminology?

Under the "Dark Velocity" feature:

All Attacks of Opportunity made against you have disadvantage.

Sir Brennen

Legend
How did this pdf get to version 4.2 and nobody pointed out to the author that they're using the wrong terminology?

Under the "Dark Velocity" feature:
Also check the Supernal Riposte feature. A "their" is switched for "your", making it a bit confusing. Couple of other typo, too. Don't know if they have an editor; sometimes it's hard to proof your own stuff.

Last edited by a moderator:

Orlax

First Post
I again can't express how much I want to play this class. Like even it's capstone is useful. If you have three weapons (two melee and a ranged, because this thing majorly rewards dual wielding) and a few major health potions you increase your normal daily health by a fair amount and can stand up to more hits before you need help.

daddystabz

Explorer
I really, really want to play this in my local face-to-face Ravenloft game.

For the Mutant order which mutagens do you all think are the best?

Also, I currently have a 8th. level Barbarian. Do you think it would be more beneficial if I'm looking to be a badass melee combatant to stay pure Barbarian or maybe dip into Witch Hunter a tad? If so, how would you do the multiclass to accomplish this?

It seems like very fun and well though class, although I think some of it's features needs some adjustments:
Cruelty mutagen probably should not stack with haste and Celerity/Potency/Sagacity need clarification if they can increase a stat beyond 20.
The Rapidity mutagen should just increase your speed by 5 times your constitution modifier, because 60 feet speed at 22 Con is everything but overpowered and makes for easier math.
The Wariness is a bit self defeating by giving you bonus to initiative, but disadvantage to initiative as a side effect.

Having said that...
Eldritch Knight Fighter 7/Order of the Mutant Witch Hunter 7/Draconic Bloodline Sorcerer 6 will be a :):):):)ing monster in the endgame and totally viable character all the way to there.

Remove ads

Remove ads