TSR NuTSR Sells Rebound 1E Core Rulebooks For $650 Each

Despite being embroiled in ongoing legal disputes with WotC regarding use of the TSR trademark (amongst other things), NuTSR has posted images of leather-bound compilations of AD&D 1E books they say are rebindings of old material, complete with the disputed logo. They're selling these books for $650 each. The Deities & Demigods book (middle top in the image) has a typo on the front cover...

Despite being embroiled in ongoing legal disputes with WotC regarding use of the TSR trademark (amongst other things), NuTSR has posted images of leather-bound compilations of AD&D 1E books they say are rebindings of old material, complete with the disputed logo. They're selling these books for $650 each.

The Deities & Demigods book (middle top in the image) has a typo on the front cover.

rebound1e.jpg

About these books, NuTSR says "Look what just came in. Sorry, we didn't have these in for TSR CON. (in the beginning, WotC said similar to what people below are saying. We said they are rebound of old material. Long story short, WotC said ok no problem, we have it in writing)"

As rebindings, these would be existing books simply being resold. However, the covers with the disputed logo are new.

In early March WotC launched a lawsuit -- (PDF attachment of filing) -- naming TSR, TSR CEO Justin LaNasa personally, and the Dungeon Hobby Shop museum. WotC seeks a judgement that TSR hand over all domains, take down all websites, pay treble damages and costs, hand over all stock and proceeds related to the trademarks, and more.

Screen Shot 2022-03-29 at 11.36.02 PM.png

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
Because at any one particular time there will be one player reading? Even if, over the course of a session, several of them will read it at different times?

And, you figure the authors thought all that through as they put a title on the thing? I mean, sure, you can figure that to be the case. I do not, so I find it a poor argument.
The Players Handbook was released at almost exactly the same time as the Scouts handbook you posted.

The specific Scout Handbook I posted was in print from 1979 to 1990. That basic construction for the title had been in use since 1959. That construction continued to be in use until 2019.

We can note how it, and the PHB, though rather analogous in positioning, use different construction. That leaves us with two choices:

1) One is correct, the other is not.
2) There is no single correct way to title such a book.

What are the odds that folks here will choose the former? I mean, if they choose the latter, the argument is over and done, isn't it?

GreyLord

Legend
The good news is that if you were going to rip the cover off a copy of 1E Unearthed Arcana, you are unlikely to be able to find one that actually has the binding intact to begin with.

It depends on the printing and how well you took care of it.

All of mine still (at least currently) have the cover still on them. One is rather loose though, but the others have their covers still on them nicely.

On a different note. The post that listed the prices of the books...goodness gracious have they gotten expensive.

Now that they are available on DMsguild, I think I'd just go there to get extra copies than pay the prices on some of those.

$125 for a PHB!!?? I have a darned fortune in my house it looks like...

Weiley31

Legend
I mean, if it wasn't for the fact that NuTSR sucks and the prices being absolutely atrocious, these actually would be a pretty damn good deal since they seem to combine a number of books together in whole packages. I mean, sure I'd be expecting in the 100 dollar range for hefty combos, but not 650 bucks due to the Leatherbound.

ko6ux

Adventurer
It depends on the printing and how well you took care of it.

All of mine still (at least currently) have the cover still on them. One is rather loose though, but the others have their covers still on them nicely.

Different printings might be better but my copy (and in fact the copies of literally everyone else in my play group back in the day) had really bad glue on the binding and the pages generally started to separate from the book within a few weeks or months of casual use. Several of my friends cut the bindings off their copies of UA and 3-hole punched the pages so they could keep the book in a binder.

My copy still has the binding, but I think it's now missing a few pages to the winds of time.

This is the only D&D hardback that I have ever had that problem with through all of 1st, 2nd, 3rd and the current 5th editions.

Azzy

ᚳᚣᚾᛖᚹᚢᛚᚠ
Different printings might be better but my copy (and in fact the copies of literally everyone else in my play group back in the day) had really bad glue on the binding and the pages generally started to separate from the book within a few weeks or months of casual use. Several of my friends cut the bindings off their copies of UA and 3-hole punched the pages so they could keep the book in a binder.

My copy still has the binding, but I think it's now missing a few pages to the winds of time.

This is the only D&D hardback that I have ever had that problem with through all of 1st, 2nd, 3rd and the current 5th editions.
I had a similar problem with both my UA and OA.

Shakeshift

Adventurer
The amount of bandwidth this forum dedicates to TSR is quite stunning. I wouldn't be surprised if numerous sales came from people not reading the posts and just googling how they can buy these beautifully bound books. I'm tempted to get a few myself, I bet they will sell for a fortune in 40 years.
Sure thing. They'll be worth nothing because the original front and back covers were torn off, making them valueless. That's how collectibles go.

Remove ads

Remove ads