Nymphs and Spell-like abilities

Hypersmurf

Moderatarrrrh...
Nymph
Spell-like Abilities : Nymphs can replicate druid spells as 7th-level casters.

Aranea
Spells : Araneas cast spells as 3rd-level sorcerers.

-----

The Aranea entry makes perfect sense to me. Look up 3rd level sorcerer. Find the spells known and the spells per day. No problem.

The Nymph entry, on the other hand, confuses me.

"For creatures with spell-like abilities, a designated caster level serves to define how difficult it is to disepl their spell-like effects and to define any level-dependent variable (such as range and duration) the abilities might have. The creature's caster level never affects which spell-like abilities the creature has; sometimes the given caster level is lower than the level a spellcasting character would need to cast the spell of the same name."

Nymphs can replicate Druid spells. The caster level does not affect which spell-like abilities they have. They can cast spells of a higher level than a 7th level druid could.

The Monster Manual doesn't list which spells they can cast, so the implication is that they have access to all Druid spells.

Reverse Gravity. Earthquake.

Elemental Swarm, for 10 minutes/level.

How am I reading this wrong?

-Hyp.

Darkness

Hand and Eye of Piratecat [Moderator]
It's phrased confusingly... Its intended meaning probably is that they can cast spells just like a 7th-level druid - i.e., level 0 to 4 druid spells, and not at will but rather only as many as a 7th-level druid can cast.

Hypersmurf

Moderatarrrrh...
It's phrased confusingly... Its intended meaning probably is that they can cast spells just like a 7th-level druid - i.e., level 0 to 4 druid spells, and not at will but rather only as many as a 7th-level druid can cast.

If it said
Spells : A nymph casts spells as a 7th level druid
then I'd agree with you. Just like it says for the Aranea.

But the description of spell-like abilities says that the caster level "never" affects what level of spell they can cast.

As you interpret it - would you say the nymph needs to select and prepare her spells each morning from the druid list? Or can she spontaneously cast from the druid list, up to a number of spells per level as a 7th level druid?

-Hyp.

Darkness

Hypersmurf said:

As you interpret it - would you say the nymph needs to select and prepare her spells each morning from the druid list? Or can she spontaneously cast from the druid list, up to a number of spells per level as a 7th level druid?

-Hyp.
Yes. Also, it was exactly like this in 2e; back then, they even plainly stated that Nymphs "...can employ druidical priest spells at 7th level ability, giving a nymph four 1st, two 2nd, two 3rd, and one 4th level spell per day." So nymphs that could use 9th-level druid spells at will as spell-like abilites didn't exist back then - and it wouldn't make much sense if they did now. ;)

Hypersmurf

Moderatarrrrh...
It's phrased confusingly...

Although... hmm.

I don't think it's phrased confusingly, I think it's wrong.

It should be "Spells" rather than "Spell-like abilities".

The DC of a Druid spell is 10 + Wisdom modifier + spell level.

The DC of a spell-like ability is 10 + Charisma modifier + spell level.

Under the Nymph description, it states that the DC is 13 + spell level.

A Nymph has a 17 Wisdom and a 19 Charisma. DC 13 + spell level is using her Wisdom Modifier, not her Charisma.

Implying casting spells as a Druid, not replicating Druid spells as a spell-like ability.

When are the MM Errata due out?

-Hyp.

Darkness

Hypersmurf said:

Although... hmm.

I don't think it's phrased confusingly, I think it's wrong.

It should be "Spells" rather than "Spell-like abilities".

The DC of a Druid spell is 10 + Wisdom modifier + spell level.

The DC of a spell-like ability is 10 + Charisma modifier + spell level.

Under the Nymph description, it states that the DC is 13 + spell level.

A Nymph has a 17 Wisdom and a 19 Charisma. DC 13 + spell level is using her Wisdom Modifier, not her Charisma.

Implying casting spells as a Druid, not replicating Druid spells as a spell-like ability.
Good point. :)

When are the MM Errata due out?

-Hyp.
Knowing WotC, this could take a while. :rolleyes: Perhaps if enough people e-mail them...

Hypersmurf

Moderatarrrrh...
Yes. Also, it was exactly like this in 2e; back then, they even plainly stated that Nymphs "...can employ druidical priest spells at 7th level ability, giving a nymph four 1st, two 2nd, two 3rd, and one 4th level spell per day."

A or B? Yes.

:)

Which are you agreeing with - prepare or cast spontaneously?

Accepting the limit on spells per day as being the same as a 7th level Druid, would you have her prepare each morning, or just use what she needed at the time?

-Hyp.

Darkness

Hypersmurf said:

A or B? Yes.

:)

Which are you agreeing with - prepare or cast spontaneously?

Accepting the limit on spells per day as being the same as a 7th level Druid, would you have her prepare each morning, or just use what she needed at the time?

-Hyp.
I'd let them cast spells just like druids do. That is, prepare the spells beforehand... Hm... What are the guidelines in the MM for this again...? I'm gonna have to check that... :)

[edit]Ok; spellcasting creatures must obey the same rules as the appropriate class, it is stated in the MM...[/edit]

Last edited:

Remove ads