• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Obi-Wan Kenobi (spoilers)

Aeson

I am the mysterious professor.
Can you ever remember seeing a ladder, or hearing one mentioned in a Star Wars property before? I can't. A bit jarring, for some reason.
It wasn't jarring to me. I chuckled. They were already shooting from below, I could easily see her saying the line with her hands on her hips in a Superman pose. lol I bet there's a take with that shot.

Didn't the Ewoks have ladders? Not mentioned but I'm sure as stated by others, they do exist.

Hussar

Legend
As far as nit picking goes, there’s a great quote from Mark Hamil to Harrison Ford during the making of Star Wars scene with the trash compactor.

Hamil says to Ford something like, “I’ve just been swimming in all this muck. Shouldn’t my hair be all gunky?” To which Ford replies, “it ain’t that kind of movie kid. If they’re looking at your hair, we’re doing it wrong”

It’s just funny on so many levels.

Can you ever remember seeing a ladder, or hearing one mentioned in a Star Wars property before? I can't. A bit jarring, for some reason.

I think it was mostly jarring because it was a bad line. If instead the dialog focused on "just giving Leia a shot, she's smarter than you think", it would have been fine. Obi Wan asking for a ladder is just oddly specific. Also, weren't the vents pretty high up? Out of range of most ladders? And then we never see the ladder, because they cut around it. Which makes mentioning a ladder we never see, stand out even more.

Last edited:

Hussar

Legend
I think it was mostly jarring because it was a bad line. If instead the dialog focused on "just giving Leia a shot, she's smarter than you think", it would have been fine. Obi Wan asking for a ladder is just oddly specific. Also, weren't the vents pretty high up? Out of range of most ladders? And then we never see the ladder, because they cut around it. Which makes mentioning a ladder we never see, stand out even more.
Thought that this was wrong.

At 28:16 we see Leia climbing down the ladder to meet Obi-wan. Do we really need to see her climbing up the ladder?

Thought that this was wrong.

At 28:16 we see Leia climbing down the ladder to meet Obi-wan. Do we really need to see her climbing up the ladder?
Oh, on second thought, you're right! We do see the ladder! It was all so odd.

I think what makes it so jarring, is that ultimately it doesn't matter how she gets up to the vent. What matters is that Obi Wan trusts her, and wants to convince the rebel in charge, to trust her as well. We don't need to detail how she gets up there, or how she gets back down.

Besides, wasn't the reason Leia had to do it, because it was a very narrow space? So why put focus on how to get up there?

Last edited:

That's what gets me with this show. It is charming and feels like Star Wars, but in every episode there is always something that is kind of clumpsy.

The Leia chase in episode 1, with a bunch of adults trying so hard not to immediately catch her.

The slow unnecessary rooftop parcour in episode 2, and the odd way the firefight ends.

The silly laser checkpoint in episode 3, that you could just hop over or go around.

Pulling rank in fortress inquisitous in episode 4. Also, hiding behind a crate, in what seems to be full view of the room. But maybe I'm misremembering.

And now the ladder in episode 5, and Vader commanding an invasion of the planet, which is followed by just two transports with a handful of Stormtroopers landing.

And yet, despite the clumpsiness, it is still a fun watch.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads