• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Obi-Wan Kenobi (spoilers)

But at least the rebels used a giant Ion Canon to temporarily disable some of the Star Destroyers, allowing shuttles to break the blockade.

In the episode there's nothing stopping the Empire from opening fire on the ship really, or using a tractor beam to bring the ship in.

Tractor beams havent been shown to work from orbit to the surface of a planet into the atmosphere, and there is literally nothing stopping the Transport from flying to the other side of the planet and leaving from there.

Tractor beams havent been shown to work from orbit to the surface of a planet into the atmosphere, and there is literally nothing stopping the Transport from flying to the other side of the planet and leaving from there.

Star Wars never really explores the tactics of the empire, and I guess they don't really need to. But it would make sense to surround a planet with more than just one Star Destroyer, if you want to prevent your target from escaping a planet.

That's what gets me with this show. It is charming and feels like Star Wars, but in every episode there is always something that is kind of clumpsy.
Partly I think we have writers focused on prioritizing good character moments at the cost of even less plot sense or world-building consistency than we've come to expect in a franchise that's always been a little slapshod on those counts really. Partly I think we have a director, or whoever on the production team has the authority to do otherwise, who either doesn't notice that scenes that maybe seemed like they worked in the script don't quite make sense as actually staged or who just figures it doesn't matter. Maybe it was just a rushed or troubled production.

And it doesn't matter quite enough to really hurt my enjoyment of the show, but it definitely takes some of the shine off my enjoyment. It also gives the toxic corner of the "fanbase" plenty of little nitpicks to hyperbolically denounce it over, not that I much care about their nonsense. It feels like giving everything another pass and paying for some reshoots really could have made it a much stronger series.

It's still probably going to end up being my favorite Star Wars prequel though.

MarkB

Legend
That's what gets me with this show. It is charming and feels like Star Wars, but in every episode there is always something that is kind of clumpsy.

The Leia chase in episode 1, with a bunch of adults trying so hard not to immediately catch her.

The slow unnecessary rooftop parcour in episode 2, and the odd way the firefight ends.

The silly laser checkpoint in episode 3, that you could just hop over or go around.

Pulling rank in fortress inquisitous in episode 4. Also, hiding behind a crate, in what seems to be full view of the room. But maybe I'm misremembering.

And now the ladder in episode 5, and Vader commanding an invasion of the planet, which is followed by just two transports with a handful of Stormtroopers landing.

And yet, despite the clumpsiness, it is still a fun watch.
I really don't get your objection to the ladder. Thinking "do they have ladders in Star Wars?", that I get - but the rest of it feels like you think you've backed yourself into the corner with the first bit, and are now doubling down to try and retain the shreds of your initial complaint.

Leia says "get me a ladder" because she needs one to get to the vent. Obi-wan says "get her a ladder" as confirmation that they should be doing what she asked them to. Nothing clunky or "clumpsy" about it.

I really don't get your objection to the ladder. Thinking "do they have ladders in Star Wars?", that I get - but the rest of it feels like you think you've backed yourself into the corner with the first bit, and are now doubling down to try and retain the shreds of your initial complaint.
No. See, ladders exist in Star Wars. What bothers me is just the way the scene flows. The dialog feels off, the scene doesn't flow well. This is by far not the only scene that has that problem.

I don't do doubling down, if I know I'm wrong. But I can't shake the feeling that something about the scene was clunky. I'm merely trying to put into words what it is.

Zaukrie

New Publisher
If only he wasnt a space wizard who can see into the future and read minds.
Doesn't seem to help him all the time. But sure, that could be hope he stops it. My point is, I'd try stuff to stop him, not that it would work. You know, for fun and entertainment.... We can disagree, politely.

Star Wars never really explores the tactics of the empire, and I guess they don't really need to. But it would make sense to surround a planet with more than just one Star Destroyer, if you want to prevent your target from escaping a planet.
Having fighters launched and standing by.

However, if your objective is to capture Kenobi and as many Force sensitives as possible alive, you might use minimal force.

Of course, if you were Thrawn, you would have fighters equipped with tractor beams. But Vader aint Thrawn.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads